DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber IX - 2/17/2019

Dolfan in NYC

UPDATE -- The Card: 

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE NEW WWE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: Nia Jax/Tamina vs. The Riott Squad vs. The Iiconics  vs. Mandy Rose/Sonya Deville*   vs. Naomi/Carmella vs. The Boss-Hug Connection*

(* - Will begin match)

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. AJ Styles vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton* vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe 

(* - WIll enter last)

FOR THE WWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: The Miz & Shane McMahon (c) vs. The Usos

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Ruby Riott

FOR THE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Akira Tozawa

HANDICAP MATCH FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Bobby Lashley (c) & Lio Rush vs. Finn Balor

Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin

-----

Card will be updated after the shows after the Rumble, but there was a huge announcement last night

Be something if Banks/Bayley don't win going from friends to foes and back again. The tandem was there for the rumoured creation of WWE Women's Tag Champions. I'd be surprised if Sasha Banks is WWE RAW Women's Champion going into WrestleMania. Only way I see that happening is Becky costing Ronda by interference at the Rumble for what Ronda did to Becky and Charlotte at TLC.

Wrestling tropes that make no sense: I'm having a feud with someone, we're exchanging wins back and forth, and then suddenly they get a title shot. So I interfere in the match to make sure they don't win the title! Then next time we fight, they'll be really angry! 

But think about it. If you interfere in the match to make sure they DO win the title, then the next time you fight they'll be really confused. And if you beat them, you just beat the Champion. So either you are the new champ already, or you're certainly the next challenger. And if you lose, you lost to the champion, no shame in that. Making sure they don't win, that's just stupid.

• Like 4

Assuming the teams for this will be Bayley/Sasha, Nia/Tamina, Riott Squad, IIconics, & Absolution. I'm curious on the third SDL team. I really wish they didn't use Moment of Bliss to make the announcement. Would have been nice to have have HHH or Steph explain the specifics of the belts. Before now we weren't even sure the belts would be shared between shows.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Assuming the teams for this will be Bayley/Sasha, Nia/Tamina, Riott Squad, IIconics, & Absolution. I'm curious on the third SDL team. I really wish they didn't use Moment of Bliss to make the announcement. Would have been nice to have have HHH or Steph explain the specifics of the belts. Before now we weren't even sure the belts would be shared between shows.

My guess in the other thread is Naomi and Carmella.  It has to be a SDL team and there are already 2 heel teams you'd figure to be involved and Naomi is the top singles star on the brand without a title program. 

I was thinking - is there enough of a woman's roster to make a "first round" of qualifying matches for the elimination chamber?

It just seems odd with all this talk of earning your spot in title matches that they would randomly just throw 6 (mostly) un-established teams into the chamber to decide the first champion.

Plus - I'm a sucker for a good tournament graphic and an inaugural champion deserves one!

31 minutes ago, CSC said:

I was thinking - is there enough of a woman's roster to make a "first round" of qualifying matches for the elimination chamber?

It just seems odd with all this talk of earning your spot in title matches that they would randomly just throw 6 (mostly) un-established teams into the chamber to decide the first champion.

Plus - I'm a sucker for a good tournament graphic and an inaugural champion deserves one!

Sasha and Bayley beat Nia and Tamina (because fuck Nia and Tamina)

The Riott Squad beat Natalya and Ember Moon

Alexa and Mickie (or Alicia if not Alexa) beat no. No there isn't.

I wonder if they open this up to NXT too though, if the belts are going to be defended cross-brand anyway.

35 minutes ago, CSC said:

That would require 24 women. I counted the women listed on WWE.com when trying to figure out how close they were to being able to do a Rumble this year without doing the memory lane schtick, and I think I came up with a number in the high twenties. So they could do it, but it would mean using pretty much the entire roster.

4 hours ago, CSC said:

All the likely teams for this have been running around for six or more month sans Nia/Tamina and the whatever the third SDL team is. They are established.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I look forward to Daniel Bryan explaining why the Elimination Chamber is bad for the environment. 

It should be the Upcycling Chamber! Today we wrestle in it, tomorrow the pods act as greenhouses for organic produce.

I doubt they would call up a random third woman since they are already making baffling decisions with Lacey and Nikki

But this is also the WWE so I could see the IIconics beating Kairi and Io in a three minute qualifying match

On 1/30/2019 at 4:24 PM, JonnyLaw said:

He should advocate for a Punjabi Prison style chamber made out of bamboo.

An Elimination Chamber made of bamboo and hemp vines would be awesome, let's get that out of the way.