DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Balor, Clubbed - 1/14/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Fun Raw! It's not often I can say that. I like the new tag belts too. And Dozer!

I liked Lashley winning the IC title if for no other reason that it seemed to motivate him in the match and he had the proper reaction to winning a belt. Not sure what's next for Ambrose but also maybe I don't care.

Finn/Brock will be interesting. I can see a world where they make him champion again and I choose not to be cynical about his push.

8 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Mania shaping up ok - 

Balor v Rollins - Universal title

9QBfAiV.gif

Y'all are too much.

44 minutes ago, Hagan said:

All opinion, of course but wasn't the 'mania XX main event better as a 3-way than it would have been with just Benoit vs Hunter? I think Benoit going through both members of DX made for a better match and a more emphatic moment than a straight singles would have done, especially since a whole lot of people thought that either Michaels was gonna win the belt or HHH was going to retain and set up a longer chase.

This is probably one of the biggest examples of a triple threat being a horrible way to elevate someone. He never got the solid clean high profile wins over either guy and his reign suffered.

If you want to argue for one that somehow managed to work, Bryan is right there.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Fun Raw! It's not often I can say that. I like the new tag belts too. And Dozer!

I liked Lashley winning the IC title if for no other reason that it seemed to motivate him in the match and he had the proper reaction to winning a belt. Not sure what's next for Ambrose but also maybe I don't care.

Finn/Brock will be interesting. I can see a world where they make him champion again and I choose not to be cynical about his push.

I'm wondering if the Rollins feud doesn't continue with Seth getting clean pins since the matches are now non-title?

i really don't care either.  Rollins/Ambrose has been a surprisingly dull program and I'm even less invested in Dean than I was before the injury.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So are they going to book Otis Dozovic as the 2019 Dave Sullivan or the WWE version of Beavis?   Graves calling him a hillbilly is a complete what the fuck as nobody ever looked at him in NXT like that.  

"Vince screaming at Graves to call him a hillbilly" is what I think you meant there.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So are they going to book Otis Dozovic as the 2019 Dave Sullivan or the WWE version of Beavis?   Graves calling him a hillbilly is a complete what the fuck as nobody ever looked at him in NXT like that.  

Gee, I wonder where that directive came from. 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well yes it is the narrative Vince wants as of this week but seriously where?   Because most people with the name Otis is a hillbilly?   

Someone showed Vince House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects?

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Vince has discovered The Simpsons and seen Cletus.

Oh come on, Vince has always had a hard-on for hillbillies for whatever reason.  He was about to push Hillbilly Jim to the moon in the 80s before he immediately got injured.  Then he comes up with copycat gimmicks with Uncle Elmer, Cousin Junior, and Cousin Luke to fill-in.  Then he did it all again a decade later giving the Godwinns chance after chance after chance.  This isn't some new thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Geez, you must really like sling blades.

Rollins and Balor colliding in mid-air when they both go for the Sling Blade would be the most WWE thing that could happen in a PPV.

Naturally the finish would be Rollins going for the Coup de Grace / Double Stomp finisher and missing and that would give Balor time to win via the King's Landing / Curb Stomp finisher.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I don’t know what’s weirder/more out of character: Corey Graves acting like he had no idea who Otis was (“What is that thing?!?!”) or Alexa Bliss knowing who he was.

One of the defining books of the 2016 election cycle was “Hillbilly Elegy” by JD Vance. The word is still very much used.

I would love Otis to have the gimmick of “guy with Appalachian roots who overcomes entrenched poverty and a troubled single mom to get a law degree from Yale and a venture capitalist.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

I would love Otis to have the gimmick of “guy with Appalachian roots who overcomes entrenched poverty and a troubled single mom to get a law degree from Yale and a venture capitalist.”

I hope your fantasy booking doesn't have my man Otis turning his back on STEAKS and WEIGHTS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagan said:

All opinion, of course but wasn't the 'mania XX main event better as a 3-way than it would have been with just Benoit vs Hunter? I think Benoit going through both members of DX made for a better match and a more emphatic moment than a straight singles would have done, especially since a whole lot of people thought that either Michaels was gonna win the belt or HHH was going to retain and set up a longer chase.

To a lesser extent, at 30, Bryan going through both Orton and Batista was better in theory than a one-on-one singles would have been.

However, bigger issue is I'm pretty sure there is very little chance Rousey doesn't walk out the winner in a women's main event. So, a three-way is probably better protection for everyone involved as you can avoid a straight one-on-one loss for any of these people.  

You're not wrong on Benoit or Bryan though in Bryan's case I felt like the win over Hunter was the star-making performance from WMXXX. The triple threat match was really good but once Bryan went over Hunter I looked at the triple threat as his victory lap. 

I also agree with you that Ronda is probably going to retain but I think they should pull the trigger on Becky right now. There are ways to protect Ronda but still give Becky the rub.