DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Balor, Clubbed - 1/14/2019

Dolfan in NYC

IF Brock drops the title which is a huge if they can always do a Brock vs. Cena type grudge match of some kind at WM,  they don't need to have him in the title match but lets not get ahead of ourselves,  even with the fresh start I'm not sure they are willing to pull the trigger at the Rumble. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Oh come on. That's fine if you don't like Balor, but that's ridiculous.

Because Holly was a hell of a lot better at portraying character and emotion in his matches instead of just getting his stuff in and hitting it clean in between planking instagram posts?

Nah, I'm kidding. There's value in going with Balor because they need someone,  anyone, that's over, but this is a placeholder appeasement spot, and I think you guys are nuts if you think they're going to go with him over Brock at the Rumble. It's a twelve minute mid-card match before the Rumbles. Afterwards he's shunted into either a workrate attraction match or a multi-man for Mania.

If they really wanted to go with Balor, he'd be in the Rumble and winning it.

• Like 3

I'm just thrilled we're getting anyone else against Brock. Though I certainly still fear the whole switch is just leading to Braun predictably winning the Rumble in which case I'm tapping out if so.

Surprised Cena took the fall, I'm guessing he's working the Rumble and then he's gone again. We never got an explanation of Lawler coming from Vince's office but Graves going "We're gonna get The King vs Brock!?" was great.

Lashley winning the IC title was an awesome finish in that match, hope this is a chance to rebuild Lashley and give him a real strong IC title run. Was not expecting a tag team chamber for the womens tags. I love how they keep doing callbacks to the Beast vs. Beastmaster match we never got.

• Like 2

I actually liked the 3-way for the IC belt a decent bit once it got going. Kind of sucks to see Dean lose the belt already. I was hoping for feuds beyond the shit with Rollins.

Braun losing his title shot is odd, but I like how they set up everything for Finn. I don't think he wins, but I'm actually looking forward to the RR match, especially since Finn has kind of been asking for it for 2 years now. The 4-way was good.

The half naked Alexa before the Moment of Bliss segment was just awkward and made the segment coming on right after worse for it. Its nice to when the Women's Tag Titles are coming though I'm disappointed we aren't getting an actual tournament. I'm curious who the third SDL team will be after IIconics and Absolution.

Was neat seeing Nikki debut. Dug the tension between Sasha & Ronda. Feels like they are gradually moving towards a heel turn for Rousey.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If they really wanted to go with Balor, he'd be in the Rumble and winning it.

The Rumble isn't really the path to the title it once was though.  I don't think Balor is winning this either but Meltzer is reporting that this change is not related to Braun's injury. It's possible that with Braun's injury/him cooling off a bit and this 'fresh start' (ratings down,  AEW signing dudes) that they are ready to pull the trigger on a Balor or a Seth Rollins at the top of the card.  Balor might even lose this match AS Finn Balor but then later return as The Demon and win the big one at a later date. Going off how tonight's show was written and executed they are definitely making some changes, I'm not sure we are going to see a year long stranglehold with Brock and the Universal title. 

37 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

We never got an explanation of Lawler coming from Vince's office but Graves going "We're gonna get The King vs Brock!?" was great.

I'm wondering if he got himself a spot in the Rumble. He still works right?

• Like 1

I saw posted somewhere that Lawler says he's calling the men's rumble with JBL and Michael Cole. His words. He also just signed a new two year deal with them.

For me personally this show was so boring to sit through which is why I ended up watching more of America's Got Talent then the first two hour's. Can we just keep Vince off TV. He is getting to the point where it's painful to watch him just because you don't know if he can follow along with what's going on. I swear that whole "THERE'S A LOT OF BEEF" thing was him just zoning out for a bit. Plus the thing with Braun being afraid of him was just dumb. At least have them go chest to chest or something.

Braun is dead in the water on RAW. I'm amazed they were able to do that.

Great RAW & sets up a heap of stuff.

It would be insane if Balor wasn’t in full Demon gear for this match. Would make zero sense for him to wrestle as “Finn”.

Talk is they were gearing up for a Cena match vs Lars Sullivan. No idea when this was supposed to happen but Lars dominating the Rumble & single handedly throwing Cena out (maybe as Cena is still coming in? Sub 5 seconds style?) would be a great start.

Mania shaping up ok - 

Balor v Rollins - Universal title

Lesnar v Braun

Lashley v Owens - IC Title

Cena v Sullivan

Bryan v ???

US title multiman match.

Ronda v Becky

Charlotte v Asuka

Womens Tag Title

Then still the 2 men’s tag matches, CW match, something for Ambrose, Orton etc

Biggest question for me is who faces Bryan for the title?

27 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Women's tag chamber what do we have for teams 

Boss and Hug, Absolution,  IIconics,  Riot Squad,  Tamina & Nia and I'm going to guess maybe Naomi/Carmella? 

I'm trying to think of other teams and how they're splitting up into half Raw half Smackdown. Would they bring out Lita & Trish Stratus or the Bellas? Or would they try to dual champ (or at least claim as a possibility without actually going over) for Asuka w/ Naomi? I'm a fan of the match idea. Some team gets left out and they become the first challengers. Good fun.

7 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Great RAW & sets up a heap of stuff.

It would be insane if Balor wasn’t in full Demon gear for this match. Would make zero sense for him to wrestle as “Finn”.

Talk is they were gearing up for a Cena match vs Lars Sullivan. No idea when this was supposed to happen but Lars dominating the Rumble & single handedly throwing Cena out (maybe as Cena is still coming in? Sub 5 seconds style?) would be a great start.

Mania shaping up ok - 

Balor v Rollins - Universal title

Lesnar v Braun

Lashley v Owens - IC Title

Cena v Sullivan

Bryan v ???

US title multiman match.

Ronda v Becky

Charlotte v Asuka

Womens Tag Title

Then still the 2 men’s tag matches, CW match, something for Ambrose, Orton etc

Biggest question for me is who faces Bryan for the title?

You’re getting way ahead of yourself. Heck, I don’t even have the guts to pencil Bryan in as champ at this point. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I'm trying to think of other teams and how they're splitting up into half Raw half Smackdown. Would they bring out Lita & Trish Stratus or the Bellas? Or would they try to dual champ (or at least claim as a possibility without actually going over) for Asuka w/ Naomi? I'm a fan of the match idea. Some team gets left out and they become the first challengers. Good fun.

I was thinking they'd bring Lita & Trish (or the Bellas) out as the challengers for Mania.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You’re getting way ahead of yourself. Heck, I don’t even have the guts to pencil Bryan in as champ at this point. 

Oh I know, just trying to put it together based on all the speculation to this point - Ronda v Becky, Cena Sullivan, Rollins winning the Rumble etc

This is half the fun.

Then we come here and bitch when it doesn’t pan out right? Isn’t hat how this works?

?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Oh I know, just trying to put it together based on all the speculation to this point - Ronda v Becky, Cena Sullivan, Rollins winning the Rumble etc

This is half the fun.

Then we come here and bitch when it doesn’t pan out right? Isn’t hat how this works?

?

Sure. But Big E or Kofi winning the Rumble are the only sensible options and I’ll hear nothing to the contrary! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still think it should be Becky vs. Ronda one on one because even though a triple threat with Charlotte added would still be good,  I don't recall anyone having a 'star-making' performance off a triple threat match and I think if Becky went over Ronda in that situation it still would not solidify her position as the BADDEST.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I still think it should be Becky vs. Ronda one on one because even though a triple threat with Charlotte added would still be good,  I don't recall anyone having a 'star-making' performance off a triple threat match and I think if Becky went over Ronda in that situation it still would not solidify her position as the BADDEST.  

I think it will be Ronda vs. Becky vs. Charlotte to close out WrestleMania XXXV. Preference be little weirdo vs. Relent Lass.