DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know Hot Topic was supposed to start carrying AEW merch in a limited number of stores as a test. Not sure how well the test has gone though.

For some extra info: My local Hot Topic was on the list of test market stores for AEW merch, and last time I went there I asked about it and they had no clue about the test run. (Of course, I also asked a week before they were supposed to go out, so they may not have gotten there.) 

https://luchacentral.com/exclusive-lucha-brothers-agree-to-non-exclusive-deal-with-all-elite-wrestling/

This is weird stuff. So basically Lucha Bros agreed to work with them just like they work with every second promotion on planet Earth? Like, sure, having Lucha Bros on your shows is good thing, but it is not really "big news" if they'll continue to appear in 20 other places every month.

11 minutes ago, Archibald said:

https://luchacentral.com/exclusive-lucha-brothers-agree-to-non-exclusive-deal-with-all-elite-wrestling/

This is weird stuff. So basically Lucha Bros agreed to work with them just like they work with every second promotion on planet Earth? Like, sure, having Lucha Bros on your shows is good thing, but it is not really "big news" if they'll continue to appear in 20 other places every month.

Jericho says they’re exclusive. But he might still be drunk.

EDIT: Meltzer says none of them drink so I guess he wasn’t. 

• Like 1

Vince had an affection for his dad's old guys like James Dudley, Fabulous Moolah, Blassie, Backlund, Andre etc. And would use them when he could and push them in certain instances.

Bischoff had an affection for the AWA guys like Wayne Bloom, Mike Enos, Madusa, Barry Dorsaw, Greg Gagne, Bockwinkel etc. He hired alot of people who had runs in the AWA.

So I wonder which contingency of guys get lower to mid card spots in AEW just because Cody and The Bucks have a soft spot for them. 

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I wore this to a Takeover, and got basically the amount and kind of confused reactions you’d expect.

I hope you're wearing that if you ever meet AJ Styles. I'm kind of surprised there's never been an AGay Styles, like Razor Ramon HG. 

Let me apologize in advance if anyone takes offense. I'm not in any way bashing or have ill feelings towards someone if they're gay. 

• Haha 1

I'd imagine thats why they signed SCU, to be the veteran presence in the midcard. Someone like Jungle Bou could learn alot about working from being in the ring with Daniels and Kazarian and Sky for that matter. 

• Like 1

Apparently Penta and Fenix aren’t exclusive and are going to continue working other places.

Hope that’s an outlier. If they wanna be a large company on the level of WWE, you can’t have your talent working everywhere else.

Yeah but then there's the Drunkicho tweet. Nobody knows yet. Wait until somebody reputable reports on it. Even if it isn't exclusive, it's probably just a placeholder until they get out of their LU deal and then they'll have to decide between AEW/WWE/ROH.

• Like 1

I like the Lucha bros , I remember when the remors of them signing with WWE was high they didn't necessarily refute them, I believed they were going when they obviously knew they weren't signing. These guys are genius, everybody wants them locked down.

5 hours ago, Thibs said:

On a different note, I wonder if they could maybe bring in someone like Bret Hart as an agent/finish guy. He’s got way too much to offer to not be in the business. 

I doubt he'd want to be on the road but, I think he'd be a great consultant for that job and have him at the bigger events backstage. He sorta keeps his ear to the current scene of talent, it would be nice to see him involved in something outside of just making on camera appearances. Most of those guys are fans of him anyway. I'd be all for it. Same with Steamboat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I doubt he'd want to be on the road but, I think he'd be a great consultant for that job and have him at the bigger events backstage. He sorta keeps his ear to the current scene of talent, it would be nice to see him involved in something outside of just making on camera appearances. Most of those guys are fans of him anyway. I'd be all for it. Same with Steamboat.

Yep. And considering most of these guys need to get better at telling a story in the ring, he’d be a perfect pickup. 

• Like 1

Bret was on Sam Roberts maybe a year ago talking about how he'd like to have a consultant job with the WWE and suggested it to Vince and Hunter and they basically ignored him. He's a really good finish guy and like Thibs said above he can tell one hell of a story I think it'd be a good pick up for them. Not only does Bret understand the wrestling business and how to tell the best story possible in the ring he's always brutally honest and blunt, he'll won't tell you what ypu want to hear he'll tell you what he honestly thinks. 

Here's the Roberts interview:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I gave a "Too Sweet" recently at a Streetlight Manifesto show. The guy had a BC shirt and hat on.

Not remotely the same thing, but I wore that "Birth of Intellectualism" Damien Sandow shirt to Bonnaroo one year, and the only person that knew what it was just happened to be at the same set as me. Which was Lamb Of God.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not remotely the same thing, but I wore that "Birth of Intellectualism" Damien Sandow shirt to Bonnaroo one year, and the only person that knew what it was just happened to be at the same set as me. Which was Lamb Of God.

I LOVE Lamb of God.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I LOVE Lamb of God.

They're alright, I was pretty hyped to see some good metal at Bonnaroo that year. Then a severe thunderstorm came through and delayed the set by an hour or two, and I lost interest and ended up seeing the Lennon Claypool Delirium instead.

14 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Bret was on Sam Roberts maybe a year ago talking about how he'd like to have a consultant job with the WWE and suggested it to Vince and Hunter and they basically ignored him. He's a really good finish guy and like Thibs said above he can tell one hell of a story I think it'd be a good pick up for them. Not only does Bret understand the wrestling business and how to tell the best story possible in the ring he's always brutally honest and blunt, he'll won't tell you what ypu want to hear he'll tell you what he honestly thinks. 

Here's the Roberts interview:

Yeah I remember hearing that story. It’s definitely crazy that he doesn’t have some kind of position in the business. 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just out of curiousity, has anyone encountered someone wearing a Bullet Club shirt or one of its many variations that didn't know it was a wrestling shirt? I haven't.

There is a handful of eses in the town I live in that wear them. I saw a couple of them at the liquor store at the end of December and asked if they were looking forward to WK and I had to then explain to them what the shirt was they were wearing.

I think that they just thought it was a t-shirt that spoke to their status as straight gangster-ass shooters, because they were certainly not indy/puro nerds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2