DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

53 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Speaking of going after gymnasts. Katelyn Ohashi, plz. My Lord.  ? ? ?

Meltz was right that she would be absolutely perfect for WWE's upcoming reality show bullshit about finding the next big female star. I don't know if she has any interest in rassling after her gymnastics career comes to an end but she's captivating and has phenomenal athleticism and grace.

Next big female star?

The only answer is KING REINA!

img-king-reina-vs-leid-tapawho-wins-this

1-1-KING-Reina-VS-Erie-DEEP-JEWELS-14.jp

She is already 3-0 against pro wrestlers including the current NXT Women's champion Shayna Baszler.

She also has a mighty secret weapon!

16 minutes ago, BEN! said:

The idea that Kenny Omega is the hottest free agent in wrestling is so ridiculous.  Who's he ever beaten?  Let me tell you something, baby, the hottest free agent in all of the pro rasslin' is none other than BUNKHOUSE BUCK, baby!  And he's got plenty of ready made feuds right there in the AEW with Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks.  Those name-appropriating Young Bucks been out there cashing in on his good name for too long but now they've got to deal with the one true Buck with "Bigg Hoss" Jake Hager backing him up.  Matt Jackson's going to have to learn to sell a second body part cause Bigg Hoss been snapping ankles like a man repossessed.  The first meeting will end when those cheatin' ass Rhodeses interfere and then when the Colonel steps in ready to smack around Cody just like he did his daddy and brother, Hangman Page arrives but the Colonel backs him up by telling him he's going to take him under his wing and teach him to play double Dutch with Brandi which leads to a little dissension between Cody and Page.  No time to dwell on double Dutch though cause here comes a single Dutch rolling in, it's "Dirty" Dutch Mantell along with the newest member of The Stud Stable, "Cowboy" James Storm and they call out Chris Jericho for abandoning the cowboy way.  A match is made where if Storm wins, Jericho goes back to being "Cowboy" Chris Jericho but if Jericho wins then Mantell will have to attend a Fozzy concert, a punishment worse than anything he ever saw in 'Nam.  Then the original "Tennessee Stud" Ron Fuller arrives and he calls out Tony Khan.  He tells him that unlike boy Tony, he's run both a successful sports team and a successful wrestling promotion and The Stud Stable is the most powerful force in all of professional rasslin' which brings out Kenny Omega who Fuller calls a fake fruit booty and tells him he doesn't respect him and there's no place in the sport of kings for such a character and then "Exotic" Adrian Street attacks Omega from behind and takes him out.  Then Glacier comes out to make the save but Fuller calls him a fake superhero and a phony karate man when The Bullet attacks Glacier with karate and takes him out.  Then the rest of The Stud Stable arrive and they tar and feather Tony Khan and let him know that you never go full ham when you can go mayHAM and from now on all hell is breaking loose in the AEW, baby!

I know that Cody has said AEW doesn't want to hire writers, but can they please change that stance just once and hire BEN! because I need all of the above post to happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Meltz was right that she would be absolutely perfect for WWE's upcoming reality show bullshit about finding the next big female star. I don't know if she has any interest in rassling after her gymnastics career comes to an end but she's captivating and has phenomenal athleticism and grace.

She is fucking awesome. I didn't think any gymnast would blow me away like how Simone Biles did, but holy shit, she's amazing.

45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

@Elsalvajeloco you know me too well. If we can't have Katelyn Ohashi, KING REINA is a fine consolation prize. 

I think Reina should really do pro wrestling. You can tell there is a serious limit to what she can do in terms of MMA. If RIZIN already cut bait on her and forcing her to win fights elsewhere just to get an opportunity to come back and fight in RIZIN, why not go to wrestling where your charisma (and athleticism) translates much better? Also, you don't have to get beat up for real and you can beat the folks you're suppose to beat. It's still early enough in her life where she doesn't have to get beat silly into another profession like Jessamyn, Marina, and Shayna did to realize pro wrestling is a much better fit (although I would argue if Marina's chin wasn't garbage, she could be doing what Kayla Harrison is doing in PFL).

• Like 1

Agreed 100%. If Reina were serious about MMA, she'd drop a lot of weight and fight girls near her actual size. She's a fascinating character but super limited beyond her solid wrestling skills in terms of MMA. She could make better money working Stardom and selling merch to creepy guys after the shows than fighting in JEWELS. I'll still continue to support her falling asleep of her competition midfight though, so long as her career in fighting continues.

And yeah, Marina's glass jaw is a tragedy but she'll be given a lot of opportunities to succeed because of her friendship with HONDA and her husband. Plus she's a great judoka and they love an athlete.

Anyway, this ties in with what Cody has been talking about... forging a new path instead of relying on old stars. They should look outside the box, especially now that the talent pool is so thin due to WWE's signing raids the past three or so years. MMA fighters who have holes in their game that will limit how far they can go, like Reina, or people outside of combat sports that exhibit high level athleticism and charisma like some of these gymnasts are great targets for both AEW and WWE.

But seriously, Katelyn Ohashi. Be still my beating heart.

*edit: continue to support. not supper. that's some weird-ass shit right there.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

PVZ is another one that should probably make the switch to wrestling sooner rather than later. She just won her last fight though, so that's going to at least give her a couple extra lives in UFC. To me, she just seems stuck at this level where she's better than other prospects and prelim fighters, but she probably doesn't have the talent to even be as high as a gatekeeper. Like you said, it would be better to take whatever fat check WWE or AEW wants to write you to not have to deal with the bullshit of fight camps, winning a fight, losing a fight, losing a fight, winning a fight, winning a fight, etc.

• Like 1

Seriously, UFC has a handful of women getting overpushed due to their looks that all could end up in wrestling no problem. Two of them were on that same fucking card PVZ just won, including her opponent. None of them have the ability to reach the top and the fight game is a cruel, cruel thing. If they can make decent money taking bumps instead while the money is good, it makes a lot of sense. It's a sad fact but women in wrestling are still largely judged on their appearances. It's a looks based business as a whole, but there should be a broader swath of looks like what we have with the men. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

PVZ is another one that should probably make the switch to wrestling sooner rather than later. She just won her last fight though, so that's going to at least give her a couple extra lives in UFC. To me, she just seems stuck at this level where she's better than other prospects and prelim fighters, but she probably doesn't have the talent to even be as high as a gatekeeper. Like you said, it would be better to take whatever fat check WWE or AEW wants to write you to not have to deal with the bullshit of fight camps, winning a fight, losing a fight, losing a fight, winning a fight, winning a fight, etc.

If VanZant had lost to Ostovich, that would have been it and she would have been in Bellator or NXT. That's the only places it would have made sense going. Losing the individual Reebok sponsorship also hurts. However, with Sage going to ONE, it kinda makes her a little bit more important to the UFC. So she will keep getting fed a can, lose one, another can, lose one, etc.

But to Oyaji's point, I mean I remember Bianca Belair (obviously under her real name) years ago from Crossfit and the like. I thought she would have made a good fit for pro wrestling (and also, damn she fine lol). Then boom, I look up and see a picture of her at the WWE Performance Center on IG one day as I'm randomly scrolling through.

• Like 1

I forgot...speaking of marginal MMA fighters who would be good for pro wrestling:

pannie_tva.gif

PANNIE KIANZAD

- Exotic look and attractive

- Tons of personality

- Plays into the sexy tomboy thing

- International appeal being born in Iran, from Sweden, and training out of Denmark

- Most importantly, probably not long for the UFC because she isn't good at stopping takedowns so she will probably need another career soon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

She's 4'10" and weighs in at double digits. She'd be destroyed.

18 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

AEW going UWF, combined with their demonstrated tendency towards gonzo melodrama and and spot-heavy stars, would put them one Takada signing away from being nearer the American HUSTLE than New Japan. To be clear: I love it. 

Don't tease me, don't fucking tease me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Alexa isn't the best example what with her falling apart at the seams.

wasn't the injury keeping her out the longest was a concussion? Or was it that and something else? I know concussions were definitely a part of the reason why she's been out for so long. I don't think her injuries really have anything to do with how small she is. Sasha Banks is only a few inches taller than Alexa and maybe 10 pounds heavier (all of that according to her "billed" height and weight), and she hasn't been terribly banged up like Alexa has been recently.