DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Was there any clarification on whether that 30 person roster was men only or men and women? They’ve already signed 12 (well, 11 and Omega), so there are a bunch of spots waiting if it’s men only. If it’s not, the roster is presumably over halfway filled.

30 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Was there any clarification on whether that 30 person roster was men only or men and women? They’ve already signed 12 (well, 11 and Omega), so there are a bunch of spots waiting if it’s men only. If it’s not, the roster is presumably over halfway filled.

He basically just said he’d like to have around 30 or so contracted performers. 

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Indeed. And she worked for nine promotions last year according to Cagematch. They aren't signing talent to only exclusive deals.

They won't sign her to anything unless her contract with Wrestle-1 runs out. Doesn't mean she can't show up if they end up working with Wrestle-1. That said, she likely got her visa from ROH like the Stardom wrestlers did so she may not be able to work AEW anyways.

How we would answer that is less important than the fact that, according to all reporting and by all indications, AEW wants the relationship. So, they want things from New Japan. I would guess those things are:

-Guys.

-Guys their fans and your average WWE network subscriber have maybe heard of. Someone in a Johnny Wrestling shirt knows who Okada is; I doubt they know Wrestle-1 exists.

-Guys who are really good and represent different styles.

-Continuity between the Elite and New Japan angles.

-Prestige that comes from partnering with the #2 promotion in the world.

-An angle to partner with CMLL, since they and New Japan are so close. Provided you elbow ROH out of that relationship.

-Elbowing ROH out, which is desirable in and of itself. 

AEW doesn’t need New Japan, but it’s clear they want to be friends and I think it’s equally clear why.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

How we would answer that is less important than the fact that, according to all reporting and by all indications, AEW wants the relationship. So, they want things from New Japan. I would guess those things are:

-Guys.

-Guys their fans and your average WWE network subscriber have maybe heard of. Someone in a Johnny Wrestling shirt knows who Okada is; I doubt they know Wrestle-1 exists.

-Guys who are really good and represent different styles.

-Continuity between the Elite and New Japan angles.

-Prestige that comes from partnering with the #2 promotion in the world.

-An angle to partner with CMLL, since they and New Japan are so close. Provided you elbow ROH out of that relationship.

-Elbowing ROH out, which is desirable in and of itself. 

AEW doesn’t need New Japan, but it’s clear they want to be friends and I think it’s equally clear why.

I like your posts Beech. You lay stuff out in a logical manner and make me see things from a different POV.

And yes, they don’t need them and I don’t see what it does for them in terms of growing the fanbase outside of who they already have. But I do see why they would want one, based on the things you said. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel like there are so many bonuses beyond just expansion purposes. But if you want to just look at "how will this help them grow their promotion" look no further than the MSG show. Maybe 5% of the people going to that show are there primarily for ROH talent sans The Elite now. If AEW has Omega and The Bucks moving forward, NJPW can do some big things in America in terms of co-promotion. Maybe NJPW and AEW could do a smaller stadium show the next Mania year if this proves to be a success and AEW is hot (which would be right around the time they should be hitting their stride with TV if all goes according to plan), which would be really interesting.

Meij being non-committal is a good thing because it's not an outright refusal (for the time being) and saying they're in bed with ROH. Low key sex eyes imo but perhaps I'm being too much of an optimist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Low key sex eyes 

I'm pretty sure Low-Ki's sex eyes are just his normal expression. I shudder to think what his dirty talk in bed would be like. If he had been in WWE or WCW while Russo was there, I could see Ki ending up with a phone sex operator gimmick, and quitting over the ridiculousness of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Man, if there's anyone I want from NJPW to work AEW, it's SANADA.

I'm also bigger on him than most people on this board. Other than his pillow soft Skull End, I think he's got it all and could have the type of appeal to audiences that Muta or Tajiri had.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is if they'll have any sort of partnership with Corgan's NWA. The lead up to the Cody vs Magnus match was so good. Maybe another belt would muddy the waters, but maybe there's also money to make there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thibs said:

Looks like Sydal is done with Impact and both AEW and WWE want him. Because AEW doesn’t have enough guys that look and wrestle like him yet. 

How about Jack Swagger as a border patrol officer? Would that float your boat? How about a half crippled Scott Steiner? Jeff Jarrett and the Slapnuts guitar, Vinny Ru? Want some strippers, Juventud Guerrera, explosives, and a donkey? 

• Haha 2

Sydal had a hell of a year. I think he's still a unique & special talent that would stand out from the pack. Great varied style in the ring and was excellent on promos during his Impact run. Of course I hope he sticks around Impact.

• Like 1

He still can go in the ring. I love how he's adapted his style and added submission wrestling to his aresenal and toned down the high flying a bit due to injuries. I'd rather see him somewhere he's needed like AEW rather than WWE, who probably wouldn't have any real plans for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How about Jack Swagger as a border patrol officer? Would that float your boat? How about a half crippled Scott Steiner? Jeff Jarrett and the Slapnuts guitar, Vinny Ru? Want some strippers, Juventud Guerrera, explosives, and a donkey? 

Nah, the gymnasts and acrobats they’re signing, who look like your local CrossFit instructor, works just fine. Since they wanna be unique and different and all.

Maybe they can go scout the local circus and bring some trapeze artists next?  That way they can flip and fly as much as your little heart desires and you can rate their routine along with Meltzer. 

Just now, Thibs said:

Nah, the gymnasts and acrobats they’re signing, who look like your local CrossFit instructor, works just fine.

Maybe they can go scout the local circus and bring some trapeze artists next?  That way they can flip and fly as much as your little heart desires and you can rate their routine along with Meltzer. 

You're going back on ignore. You are a fucking twat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Speaking of going after gymnasts. Katelyn Ohashi, plz. My Lord.  ? ? ?

Meltz was right that she would be absolutely perfect for WWE's upcoming reality show bullshit about finding the next big female star. I don't know if she has any interest in rassling after her gymnastics career comes to an end but she's captivating and has phenomenal athleticism and grace.

• Like 1

The idea that Kenny Omega is the hottest free agent in wrestling is so ridiculous.  Who's he ever beaten?  Let me tell you something, baby, the hottest free agent in all of the pro rasslin' is none other than BUNKHOUSE BUCK, baby!  And he's got plenty of ready made feuds right there in the AEW with Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks.  Those name-appropriating Young Bucks been out there cashing in on his good name for too long but now they've got to deal with the one true Buck with "Bigg Hoss" Jake Hager backing him up.  Matt Jackson's going to have to learn to sell a second body part cause Bigg Hoss been snapping ankles like a man repossessed.  The first meeting will end when those cheatin' ass Rhodeses interfere and then when the Colonel steps in ready to smack around Cody just like he did his daddy and brother, Hangman Page arrives but the Colonel backs him up by telling him he's going to take him under his wing and teach him to play double Dutch with Brandi which leads to a little dissension between Cody and Page.  No time to dwell on double Dutch though cause here comes a single Dutch rolling in, it's "Dirty" Dutch Mantell along with the newest member of The Stud Stable, "Cowboy" James Storm and they call out Chris Jericho for abandoning the cowboy way.  A match is made where if Storm wins, Jericho goes back to being "Cowboy" Chris Jericho but if Jericho wins then Mantell will have to attend a Fozzy concert, a punishment worse than anything he ever saw in 'Nam.  Then the original "Tennessee Stud" Ron Fuller arrives and he calls out Tony Khan.  He tells him that unlike boy Tony, he's run both a successful sports team and a successful wrestling promotion and The Stud Stable is the most powerful force in all of professional rasslin' which brings out Kenny Omega who Fuller calls a fake fruit booty and tells him he doesn't respect him and there's no place in the sport of kings for such a character and then "Exotic" Adrian Street attacks Omega from behind and takes him out.  Then Glacier comes out to make the save but Fuller calls him a fake superhero and a phony karate man when The Bullet attacks Glacier with karate and takes him out.  Then the rest of The Stud Stable arrive and they tar and feather Tony Khan and let him know that you never go full ham when you can go mayHAM and from now on all hell is breaking loose in the AEW, baby!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2