DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know who I'd like to see get a shot here, since we have even somehow had Bellator come up? Jack Swagger/Jake Strong/Jake Hager.

Meltzer ("they" are the Bucks):

Next weekend they’re gonna be at Bellator so that’s where there’s gonna be. Now next weekend’s Bellator is going to be an interesting show, yeah, Jake Hager you know Jack Swagger’s gonna be fighting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know who I'd like to see get a shot here, since we have even somehow had Bellator come up? Jack Swagger/Jake Strong/Jake Hager.

Has he been motivated on the indies?  I saw him once, and he looked pretty bad.  

I really want to see AEW go with indie talents to fill up the bottom of their cards- they're ok on main event level talent it's the undercard that will be lacking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alstein said:

I really want to see AEW go with indie talents to fill up the bottom of their cards- they're ok on main event level talent it's the undercard that will be lacking.

He was one of the high points in LU in it's last season.

3 hours ago, alstein said:

From what I have seen he has been bad to mediocre everywhere he appeared. I guess his "name" still has some value due to being former WWE guy, but I hope they won't actually position him as important guy.

4 hours ago, alstein said:

They’re ok on main event level talent?

They probably could manage couple of months with Cody/Omega/Jericho, but it would get old fast. Maybe PAC to some extent. Page is not on that level and likely won't get to it till late 2020. MJF and Janela are also midcarders at best, currently. SCU - undercard. Who else is there? So yeah, I'd say that they are not ok on any part of the card at the moment.

• Like 1

If we are talking about low to midcard guys, Jacob Fatu should really be mentioned. That dude kills it every time I see him, he has started to branch out and take more bookings outside of California. I thought I saw his name pop up for ROW not that long ago. He works all over the place here, and he's already very good. A little bit of build would go a long way to turning him into a top of the card guy.

Granted, the family legacy and the idea that WWE is what made all his relatives stars could potentially be a HUGE obstacle to getting him, but I feel like he would be a great pick-up.

EDIT- Never mind, just saw the indie thread about him landing in MLW.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

They need a whole roster, so they need people at every tier of the card. They have Jericho, the Bucks, Cody, and PAC are established main eventers/draws for their core fanbase, are obviously trying to get Page there quickly, and will probably sign Omega. That's ok as a start.

Broadly though, what they need to avoid is a roster full of guys the fans think deserve to be main eventers because WWE "wasted" them. I'd like to see the general roster construction philosophy trend towards discovering and making guys, with reasonably well defined tiers. (Wins and losses don't matter if everyone is presented as being basically on the same level.)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

They need a whole roster, so they need people at every tier of the card. They have Jericho, the Bucks, Cody, and PAC are established main eventers/draws for their core fanbase, are obviously trying to get Page there quickly, and will probably sign Omega. That's ok as a start.

Broadly though, what they need to avoid is a roster full of guys the fans think deserve to be main eventers because WWE "wasted" them. I'd like to see the general roster construction philosophy trend towards discovering and making guys, with reasonably well defined tiers. (Wins and losses don't matter if everyone is presented as being basically on the same level.)

The issue with this goes back to the TV. If they get the type of TV that’s being rumored they’re gonna need more “names” and if that means getting guys that were on WWE TV, then so be it.

16 minutes ago, Thibs said:

The issue with this goes back to the TV. If they get the type of TV that’s being rumored they’re gonna need more “names” and if that means getting guys that were on WWE TV, then so be it.

They would need them and should sign them if such names existed and were available--but they don't and they aren't. Jack Swagger is a person wrestling fans know of; Jack Swagger is not a person wrestling fans tune in to watch. Honestly, you could make the case that no one in the current landscape really matters as a name. Who moves the needle for WWE? They pull basically the same numbers no matter who they feature and in what role.

This is not to say they shouldn't sign Swagger or anyone else who worked for WWE, just that they shouldn't default to presenting them as main eventers. Avoid Sandow/Rex syndrome.

Just now, Archibald said:

I guess thats why idea of Goldberg is somewhat valid. He would bring people in, at least for few shows. But other than that? Who could they really get?

Punk is the only other name, for better and worse, who would matter at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

They would need them and should sign them if such names existed and were available--but they don't and they aren't. Jack Swagger is a person wrestling fans know of; Jack Swagger is not a person wrestling fans tune in to watch. Honestly, you could make the case that no one in the current landscape really matters as a name. Who moves the needle for WWE? They pull basically the same numbers no matter who they feature and in what role.

This is not to say they shouldn't sign Swagger or anyone else who worked for WWE, just that they shouldn't default to presenting them as main eventers. Avoid Sandow/Rex syndrome.

I don’t think that there are many individual needle movers but I think you can bring in a handful of guys that will legitimize your company in the eyes off fans outside of your hardcore base. Guys like RVD, Alberto Del Ro, or a Ryback. 

Not saying you should push them at the expense of anyone. But integrate them with the unknown guys. 

Bringing in an RVD to do a feud with MJF gets MJF over while at the same time making your company a little more legitimate. 

Not Del Rio. He's never seen a bridge without wanting to burn it. Not Ryback either, he's as dumb as shit. If RVD wants to do something*, he'd be worth picking up. Now Austin Aries, that's a guy who could have value. James Storm too (and he's a merchandise selling machine, which seems like it matters in AEW). Would Bubba Dudley be available?

* Apparently he has heat with the Young Bucks from their time in TNA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Now Austin Aries, that's a guy who could have value. James Storm too (and he's a merchandise selling machine, which seems like it matters in AEW). Would Bubba Dudley be available?

* Apparently he has heat with the Young Bucks from their time in TNA.

Bubba's locked into RoH.  Aries, well, see Del Rio.

• Like 1