DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Before Omega took off, Dave said that New Japan was not ready for the future in regards to the guys they were building up. They had just lost Nakamura AND AJ. He was right because you can't foresee a guy being more pivotal for a promotion than both the wrestlers he replaced combined. Now, he is on the same kick because Jay White is in that same spot and the lack of starpower at the top has Taichi in a big program. 

What do you mean by that?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Meltzer's clear bias is anti-WWE and pro-indie/ROH/Japan. And when he's on the radio, he tends to ramble...a lot. 

I think the other problem is that when his sources either smokescreen him or purposefully feed him false information and then that gets spread around and treated as gospels, or his theories and speculation gets treated as gospel. 

The anti-WWE material is very understandable. They are the big evil empire at this point. WWE booking constantly comes off as brain dead. We love wrestling, but the actual word "wrestling" or "wrestler" is taboo in WWE. That's annoying. You like wrestling, outfits like ROH and NJPW cater to your old school mentalities. I don't mind it because WWE needs to get put in check now and again. 

As for ticket sales, you can get ticket and presale information from just about any major wrestling website. It's not exactly hard, nor does it IMO mean that Meltzer has sold out to AEW. Unless you can prove to me the Observer/F4W has never put up WWE ticket information its website, then it's a moot point. 

This promo is why I believe Chuckie T and Beretta are money:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Haven't got a freaking clue what point you're trying to make here...

AxB said Meltzer and Alvarez called WCW shit in numerous ways. Alvarez every week calls it the worst wrestling he ever seen especially on the retro reviews. Both are good friends with Kevin Sullivan and hardly say a bad word about him personally.

You said that was 20 years ago? Whose work are they criticizing week after week whenever they either get a mailbag question about WCW or review an old WCW show? All that ain't on Vince Russo. So if they are biased towards Kevin Sullivan, they would always blame it on Russo or Kevin Nash. However, they're not running away from that and always mention Sullivan was in charge at the time and it would be anachronistic to say it was just those guys and not Kevin Sullivan too. Just because it was years ago doesn't mean someone like Sullivan would be cool with that criticism. 

Apparently, they have a bias in favor of Kevin Sullivan but not enough to avoid calling his ideas some of the worst in wrestling history that also led to the downfall of the business.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Dave Meltzer's clear bias is anti-WWE and pro-indie/ROH/Japan. And when he's on the radio, he tends to ramble...a lot.

It also sounds like he orgasms sometimes when talking about some of the matches and moves in New Japan. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I think people confuse Dave's star ratings and his reporting/opinions. It's possible for a promotion that's in the shitter to have really good matches. He gave TNA a 5 star match at a time when TNA was really, really bad (according to him). And that was years before WWE ever came close to getting one since the mid/late 90s.

And if they ran weekly TV, and got anywhere from 3-6K, that automatically makes them better than any promotion in the US not named WWE. In TNA's hayday, they never go that many people for a TV taping (or even a PPV most of the time, actually).

Smackdown is papering heavily to get 5k these days.

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What do you mean by that?!

Jay White is the new foreign ace and one that is now responsible for taking over the new main event guy. Also, Taichi just headlined a card in a singles. And it's not because just for shits and giggles.

Sorry, I take that back...according to himself Michael Elgin believes he is the top gaijin. My bad.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jay White is the new foreign ace and one that is now responsible for taking over the new main event guy. Also, Taichi just headlined a card in a singles. And it's not because just for shits and giggles.

Right, it's because Taichi is a quality professional wrestler with a great deal of potential to be a star. Glad we agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Right, it's because Taichi is a quality professional wrestler with a great deal of potential to be a star. Glad we agree.

He is grabbing the brass ring. Vince would be proud.

• Thanks 1

I mean Meltzer did report that Meij's changes in NJPW were causing problem with a lot of the talent who were unhappy and wanted to leave as a result. NJPW denied it. Now, they've lost Kushida and Omega (at least on a regular full-time basis). Not sure if it's true but there was talk of Naito leaving after Wrestle Kingdom. Pretty sure Meltzer reported on that as well. 

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I mean Meltzer did report that Meij's changes in NJPW were causing problem with a lot of the talent who were unhappy and wanted to leave as a result. NJPW denied it. Now, they've lost Kushida and Omega (at least on a regular full-time basis). Not sure if it's true but there was talk of Naito leaving after Wrestle Kingdom. Pretty sure Meltzer reported on that as well. 

NOPE DIDN'T HAPPEN! FFS

MELTZER IS A SHILL YOU RETARD

The WON/F4W page literally sold package tickets to their VIP Q&A and WrestleMania last year. They sold tickets to WrestleMania.  So let's move the fuck on and talk about how fucking awesome Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros is going to be.

It's going to be so awesome.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

The WON/F4W page literally sold package tickets to their VIP Q&A and WrestleMania last year. They sold tickets to WrestleMania.  So let's move the fuck on and talk about how fucking awesome Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros is going to be.

It's going to be so awesome.

ONLY A WWE SHILL WOULD DO THAT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Matt and Nick Jackson against Fenix Penta El 0M 

So awesome

But how is it going to sell tickets and get ratings? I don't believe the fans want to see this. They want episodic storytelling.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But how is it going to sell tickets and get ratings? I don't believe the fans want to see this.

That reminds of the time Impact did a bunch of those type of awesome matches last year and two thirds of the audience they had left, went away in droves. 

So logically speaking, that would for sure get ratings. 

I mean, Penta throwing up his hand gesture 25 times is must see TV after all.

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

But how is it going to sell tickets and get ratings? I don't believe the fans want to see this.

Penta and Fenix as MS13, tequilla bottles, and piñatas on poles

...oh and a Scott Hall picture in a box

Ratings Bonzana, BRO!

• Like 1

One of the first Pentagon Jr. matches I saw was him against some guy in a small garage with an open roof and the mat was covered from the rain. They didn't use it much though as they brawled all over and Pentagon used a broken beer bottle as a weapon and licked blood off of it. ?

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ratings Bonzana, BRO!

If Ed Ferrara is available,  we are truly cooking with gas.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ratings Bonzana, BRO!

Lmao you do realize that ten times more people watched that stuff than what you like right?

Your sarcasm doesn’t work when the your tired act is actually true. 

I have no idea what everyone is talking about I tried to read this page to dee if I could gather the greater argument but I can't. Something about Meltzer preferring New Japan over WWE. But I've been under the impression that's been the recurring theme since the start of the Observer in the '80s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

One of the first Pentagon Jr. matches I saw was him in a small garage with an open roof and the mat was covered from the rain. They didn't use it much though as they brawled all over and Pentagon used a broken beer bottle as a weapon and licked blood off of it. ?

I love Penta. I just wish someone did something more with him other then having him do his hand gesture 25 times. 

He could be the lucha Undertaker or Sting. 

I understand he actually had a character in LU but I didn’t watch that. 

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Matt and Nick Jackson against Fenix y Penta El 0M 

So awesome

I assume we won’t have a Marty and Okada situation this time. I’m sure the Bucks are excited to get their minutes.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If Ed Ferrara is available,  we are truly cooking with gas.

Is this the same kind of gas my couch cushions are filled with?