DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

@Thibs Copy link and paste it. Hit space to make sure it'll work. It does it automatically. If you're on you're phone hit the copy link button on the bottom right of the tweet, so it doesn't have mobile.twitter in it. 

I love the bits about Page in his ring gear. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Finally, the perpetual debate cycles of "what is wrestling supposed to be and how can a blank-slate promotion reflect all of our desires?" and "how good is Sasha?" can converge like two intertwined Ouroboros. 

But since I've written dozens of dumb quasi-essays on the former already, I'll just say I think Sasha is very good and would be a massively valuable piece. She's a better promo and way more compelling self-presenter when not scripted (good talker, bad actress), and there will at least be a few gonzo spot-enthusiasts to tell her what not to do, or tell her how to do it best if she insists.

I think this is excellent point that hasn't really been made much, at least not on here. Delineating the difference between her ability to project her charisma in a more natural environment vs. being able to pull off the ridiculous WWE jargon seems more important for her than most in WWE. She has a lot to offer, even if she is sloppy as all get out and is too ambitious for her and her matches' own good. A division built around Sasha and Tessa would be a fantastic starting point and then you can build up a supporting cast from talented women from across the globe at a more reasonable pace rather than be forced to fast-forward their trajectory to positions they wouldn't be ready for a variety of reasons. I'm excited thinking about it even if it's just social media nonsense.

• Like 5

FWIW, if a contract expires there is no 90 day compete. When WWE releases someone they basically trade them a severance package in exchange for the 90 days. When they grant a release someone requests, they insist on the no compete clause.

When Ambrose's contract expires in April, he can show up the next night (you know, if they had a show) if he and they wanted.

• Like 3

Now if only Jimmy Havoc could do anything else aside from paper cuts...

His early PROGRESS run was a bunch of fun, outside of that there's not much else unfortunately.

9 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Any wrestling promotion that does a TV show and starts with an opening ripping off Saturday Nights Main Event with rapid fire 30-second promos from multiple wrestlers to set up that weeks episode will become my new favorite wrestling to follow.

If AEW does that with their TV show, they can whatever the fuck else they want as far as I am concerned. 

I think I'd like that, esp if you combined with a half-hour of post-match interview segments on youtube or twitch like the NJPW post-match comments.   Keep the rest of the show all action.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, if a contract expires there is no 90 day compete. When WWE releases someone they basically trade them a severance package in exchange for the 90 days. When they grant a release someone requests, they insist on the no compete clause.

When Ambrose's contract expires in April, he can show up the next night (you know, if they had a show) if he and they wanted.

Also for what it's worth, the wrestler has the right to refuse the severance package, in exchange for being released immediately (Raven famously did it to directly jump to TNA two days after his release in 2003.) 

Considering AEW being in place with big money, it wouldn't be shocking if some people did that too.

5 hours ago, Thibs said:

Now this I can fucking get behind. The Jimmy Havoc promo was awesome. If they can continue on this path and really do a deep dive into characters (ala Mankind’s introduction in 1996), people outside their core fanbase will buy in. 

Also, I just realized that Hangman Page is 2019’s Magnum TA. I could easily see him in that sort of babyface role. I’d wanna see him be that reluctant shy sort of babyface that women and kids would be super into. No yelling, no screaming, just talk like a humble, almost shy type guy. 

I can get behind stuff like this so much more then wondering who is coming over from the WWE. Not that there's anything wrong with reaching out to those talents(someone please call Rusev) but a large part of the appeal of AEW to me is the exposure to guys I haven't gotten to see a lot of. I want to see more of Jimmy Havoc, Joey Janella, Hangman Page(him being their Magnum TA is a great comparison). Deep dives into characters and giving all of a reason why we should emotionally invest in this show go a long way into building up the goodwill this promotion already has.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thibs said:

Anyone hearing this rumor that AEW supposedly offered an insane deal to a current (I guess expiring?) big WWE star that is too good to pass up? 

Its a Twitter source who’s broken stories before like D Bryan’s new wood belt. 

If true, I’m thinking Ambrose or Styles.

My Twitter timeline apparently completely lit up last night with the idea that this is Randy Orton.  I'm trying to figure out why.

Edit: It seems that according to Sean Ross Sapp, either Orton or Orton's agent has said that he's open to talking to AEW.  No talks have actually occurred.  Sapp said this during his Smackdown recap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thibs said:

Also, I just realized that Hangman Page is 2019’s Magnum TA. I could easily see him in that sort of babyface role. I’d wanna see him be that reluctant shy sort of babyface that women and kids would be super into. No yelling, no screaming, just talk like a humble, almost shy type guy. 

So.. pair him with Grado for the ultimate tribute act of Dusty & TA?

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

My Twitter timeline apparently completely lit up last night with the idea that this is Randy Orton.  I'm trying to figure out why.

Edit: It seems that according to Sean Ross Sapp, either Orton or Orton's agent has said that he's open to talking to AEW.  No talks have actually occurred.  Sapp said this during his Smackdown recap.

It would be very interesting to see a literal lifer like Orton Inna non WWE production where he isn't posing 90% of the time for dramatic effect.

If we are in this weird parallel universe where Randy Orton decides that he gives a shit and is willing to sell and not throw temper tantrums("YOU'RE STUPID! STUPID!")if things don't go his way, you might have something interesting here. Orton is the opposite of everything the AEW crowd wants, so you automatically have a huge heel that the Elite boys can try to conquer. But it's like hammerva said, Orton will play ball for Jericho, maybe Cody, and a slim chance of Hangman if he's in the right mood. There's also the chance that if you are trying to present yourself as this big alternative to WWE and then you say , "Hey, here's RANDY ORTON!" the fan who is dying to see AEW sees that, no AJ/Rusev/Ambrose etc and says "Oh screw this". If there's one WWE guy thats not already on his way out the door(and yes, they should try for Ambrose)they should go after, it's Rusev. Dude's got youth on his side and judging by comments he's made he really wants to do more then his current status

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's correct. What you don't have is a window to negotiate with other companies lest you risk receiving a lawsuit for tampering. I think the only way you can negotiate with another company is if you formally give your notice to the company. So if that's the case, I would imagine it's Ambrose unless there's someone else who gave their notice and we haven't heard about it yet.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

It would be very interesting to see a literal lifer like Orton Inna non WWE production where he isn't posing 90% of the time for dramatic effect.

Took the words out of my mouth. He’d come off way more interesting ala Hall and Nash when WCW stripped away all the gimmicky crap. 

46 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The idea of Randy Orton selling for anyone in that company except Jericho and maybe Adam Page is just nutty.    Also figure that his effort would be less than stellar no matter how much they pay him

Nor should he have to sell for anyone other than those names and maybe PAC and Cody. The idea of him selling for the Bucks or Jungle Boy is equally nutty. Especially if they’re doing a “real sports” presentation.

If Orton is available, no doubt about it, you scoop him up. 

"Willing to listen" likely means, for Orton and many others, that they're willing to leverage more money out of WWE. And they should! Maybe it's not so calculated as this, and AEW is just reaching out to guys they want to sign, but influencing WWE towards actually paying market (or above) value for their talent is the best way to fight talent hoarding, thus making for a more viable long-term free agent pool.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Jimmy Havoc looks like a Will Forte character.

There.  Now you can never unsee it, too.

Oh...

At least he fits Hot Topic's target demo really, really well?

• Like 1

In what could potentially be the precursor to a much bigger story, the Undertaker has removed all references to WWE from his social media accounts. In addition to that, he’s added a link to a website where he’s now accepting booking dates. This is typically what a talent does after they have left the company, but we should stress that neither WWE nor the Undertaker have announced anything like that.

Dave Meltzer expressed surprise to this on the latest Wrestling Observer Radio this morning (via  Wrestling Inc), as it’s rare for Undertaker to promote his gimmick outside of WWE and to make public appearances. 

This news follows a report from last month in which it was said that WWE’s plans for Wrestlemania did not feature the Phenom. Undertaker’s last Wrestlemania match was last year, where he quickly defeated John Cena in a squash. His last match, however, was at WWE Crown Jewel, a loss to Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

What’s Mean Mark Callis doing at TIAA Bank Field?