DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Does Viacom wanna get back into wrestling? I'm sure Russo will be nowhere near this product.

And what about WGN America? The pre show did air on that network. 

Russo didn’t have anything to do with that. That was Dixie trying to play hardball and Viacom telling her where she can go.

WGN wouldn’t really fit the “big time” tv deal that everyone is saying. 

8 hours ago, cool arrow said:

If Rob Terry were somehow to sign with AEW, Mason Ryan would absolutely have to be next.

I'd be all in for that. Dude was becoming a great explosive offense babyface towards the end. Fun short-lived Superstars team w/ Alex Riley. Almost wish he came around a few years later for the modern era of no more cutting sprees/contracts just expire, so he would've got a few more chances to last. A WWE missed opportunity much like Lance Hoyt.

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

WGN wouldn’t really fit the “big time” tv deal that everyone is saying. 

There isn't that much coverage difference between TNT and WGN America. Something like 10 million. USA Network is in more homes than both of those, with around 100m homes available. I think people are held up on the TNT stuff because it was the home of WCW for the longest time. WGN America would be a perfectly fine place for AEW.

If it's a prime time slot, and in that many homes, it's instantly a better TV deal than what ROH, Impact and MLW currently has. It'd put them on the same coverage level as WWE. But, then again, Pop TV was available to something like 70 million homes and they did horribly, so it's all really dependent on the company to make the most use out of the channel's reach. They could be prime time on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX and still get dogshit ratings if nobody wants to watch what they're giving away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

There isn't that much coverage difference between TNT and WGN America. Something like 10 million. USA Network is in more homes than both of those, with around 100m homes available. I think people are held up on the TNT stuff because it was the home of WCW for the longest time. WGN America would be a perfectly fine place for AEW.

If it's a prime time slot, and in that many homes, it's instantly a better TV deal than what ROH, Impact and MLW currently has. It'd put them on the same coverage level as WWE. But, then again, Pop TV was available to something like 70 million homes and they did horribly, so it's all really dependent on the company to make the most use out of the channel's reach. They could be prime time on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX and still get dogshit ratings if nobody wants to watch what they're giving away.

I think POP was available but only on higher tiers. Although I firmly believe that Impact’s product over the last year has been boring AF hence most of their audience not watching anymore.

I’m just speculating but I think TNT is available on the basic tiers. 

And then strictly from a PR perspective, TNT would obviously give them a huge amount of buzz based on their history like you mentioned. 

I'm pretty sure WGN America is available on basic tiers. And where I am, it's in the same cluster of channels as the major 4 channels. Saying AEW would get buzz because they'd be on TNT, the former home of WCW, would be like saying, "Gossip Girl is being revived and it's going to be on the former home of Sex & The City, HBO!"

Do you know who would care about that buzz? Fans of those types of shows. Just like this AEW/TNT bullshit.

Pop is in about 70 million homes, WGN about 80, and TNT about 90. 

Pop is on basic tiers a lot of places because it used to the TV guide channel.

However, Pop's viewership is terrible. People have the channel, but they don't watch it.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pop is in about 70 million homes, WGN about 80, and TNT about 90. 

Pop is on basic tiers a lot of places because it used to the TV guide channel.

However, Pop's viewership is terrible. People have the channel, but they don't watch it.

I haven't watched Pop since the last Impact on there. Prior to showing Impact, I never watched Pop.

• Like 1

I watched Pop because of Schitt's Creek, but never watched Impact. I guess I was part of the problem.

And as for @Oyaji's point, that's fair. It'd be a big deal because NBA is a ratings juggernaut, and if they were the lead in for AEW, that'd be great. I'm positive that's a big factor in a lot of people's hopes for them winding up on TNT. But if you told me there isn't some part of fans' brains that didn't hope they'd land there because of the connections to WCW and Dusty, I'd call you a liar.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure WGN America is available on basic tiers. And where I am, it's in the same cluster of channels as the major 4 channels. Saying AEW would get buzz because they'd be on TNT, the former home of WCW, would be like saying, "Gossip Girl is being revived and it's going to be on the former home of Sex & The City, HBO!"

Do you know who would care about that buzz? Fans of those types of shows. Just like this AEW/TNT bullshit.

Wrestling being in the Turner networks for the first time in almost 20 years would be pretty newsworthy and give them a big amount of mainstream attention. 

For a startup, that can’t be a bad thing. 

But no, you’re not wrong that obviously people would think of it as poetic justice if they land on the former home of WCW. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I watched Pop because of Schitt's Creek, but never watched Impact. I guess I was part of the problem.

And as for @Oyaji's point, that's fair. It'd be a big deal because NBA is a ratings juggernaut, and if they were the lead in for AEW, that'd be great. I'm positive that's a big factor in a lot of people's hopes for them winding up on TNT. But if you told me there isn't some part of fans' brains that didn't hope they'd land there because of the connections to WCW and Dusty, I'd call you a liar.

Pfft. Now if it was on TBS

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thibs said:

Wrestling being in the Turner networks for the first time in almost 20 years would be pretty newsworthy and give them a big amount of mainstream attention. 

For a startup, that can’t be a bad thing. 

But no, you’re not wrong that obviously people would thing of it as poetic justice if they land on the former home of WCW. 

WWE only got that coverage on places like Forbes, Deadspin, CNN, etc. because, uh, they're WWE, and the move to FOX was a massive financial deal - so, example - CNN only reported on it in the content of FOX changing their direction for the channel, wanting more live sports programming, and it was in the Money section of the CNN website. The headline wasn't "WWE MOVING SMACKDOWN TO FOX". The article itself talked more about the new NFL contract than anything else.

There's virtually no chance a legitimate mainstream news outlet will/would report on AEW airing a weekly TV show on a Turner network. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think anyone outside of wrestling fans give a shit about "Turner airing pro wrestling for the first time since 2001".

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

WWE only got that coverage on places like Forbes, Deadspin, CNN, etc. because, uh, they're WWE, and the move to FOX was a massive financial deal - so, example - CNN only reported on it in the content of FOX changing their direction for the channel, wanting more live sports programming, and it was in the Money section of the CNN website. The headline wasn't "WWE MOVING SMACKDOWN TO FOX". The article itself talked more about the new NFL contract than anything else.

There's virtually no chance a legitimate mainstream news outlet will/would report on AEW airing a weekly TV show on a Turner network. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think anyone outside of wrestling fans give a shit about "Turner airing pro wrestling for the first time since 2001".

Some of publications you mentioned have already covered AEW. I don’t think they’re gonna get over the top mainstream coverage (as in BREAKING NEWS) but I do see a potential Turner deal making a splash. 

Who knows though, you might be right. We’ll have to wait and see. 

I think the #1 reason no one is going to write an article about wrestling being back on Turner is no one calls TNT/TBS “Turner” anymore, and hasn’t in, like, over a decade.  

Do you still call MTV “Music Television,” too?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think the #1 reason no one is going to write an article about wrestling being back on Turner is no one calls TNT/TBS “Turner” anymore, and hasn’t in, like, over a decade.  

Do you still call MTV “Music Television,” too?

Yes, that’s undoubtedly the #1 reason.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope you're wearing that if you ever meet AJ Styles. I'm kind of surprised there's never been an AGay Styles, like Razor Ramon HG. 

Let me apologize in advance if anyone takes offense. I'm not in any way bashing or have ill feelings towards someone if they're gay. 

Maaan, Hoodslam needs an AGay Styles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What if they aren’t on TNT, or TBS, but on Turner Classic Movies instead, with each episode introduced by the ghost of Robert Osborne?

Jericho is already reinventing himself into drunk Orson Welles.

• Haha 2