DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I can see the BTE stuff with Cody and MJF eventually becoming a feud between Marty and MJF if Marty eventually leaves ROH.

They're also setting up Cody/MJF when Cody finally discovers MJF's real nature. Beating Cody instantly makes MJF a top heel in AEW.

I love the Joey Janela bits. At this rate, he'll be completely bandaged up by Double or Nothing.

I really want to see talents rotate between AEW and ROH- would be a good way to get fresh matchups for both.   I think the best thing about AEW is that talents can now go away from a place easier- which will make it easier to appreciate them when they come back.  That's part of the problem with modern wrestling- you see some folks for years on end constantly, and you get tired of their act.

• Like 2

If the story on the Torch is true about how Dean "hates hokey shit" then a month with the Bucks and the Bullet Club will help make his decision for him.  And I don't think Dean is the kind of guy that is based on the money even if Khan does something stupid and gives him a WWE like contract

I would guess the first thing Dean does on the indies (if he does anything) is a match against Nick Gage at GCW

Also funny that one of Jericho's drunken tweets was telling Brock to lose the gut which is funny given that Chris is a couple years ago from looking like John Zandig and yelling JESUS in the camera

Makes sense for Barreta. He was going nowhere in NJPW (or RoH) and probably will have more opportunities in AEW.

BUT, Young Bucks + SCU + Best Friends for tag team division. How this is not same old RoH that everyone complained about? Only thing missing is Briscoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Makes sense for Barreta. He was going nowhere in NJPW (or RoH) and probably will have more opportunities in AEW.

BUT, Young Bucks + SCU + Best Friends for tag team division. How this is not same old RoH that everyone complained about? Only thing missing is Briscoes.

But isn't that what AEW fans would want to begin with.  Sure it is the wrestling equivalent of screaming Freebird at a Lnyrd Skynyrd concert but you know they will love it.   Now that is probably a terrible strategy for the long term build of a company but I wonder if that is even being thought right now.  

30 minutes ago, hammerva said:

But isn't that what AEW fans would want to begin with.  Sure it is the wrestling equivalent of screaming Freebird at a Lnyrd Skynyrd concert but you know they will love it.   Now that is probably a terrible strategy for the long term build of a company but I wonder if that is even being thought right now.  

If its not, it better be. They’re obviously going to get on big time TV network by all indications. And if they do, they have one shot to get it right. Everyone’s going to scream ratings don’t matter. That’s fine.

But if they get on TV and it doesn’t perform to the networks standards, they’ll be off TV. And at that point, they’re another ROH or NJPW. And i don’t know that the big time funding continues at that point. 

Of course they want to build the company, but you can't build something without a foundation. That foundation is and was always going to be made of core fans who like a lot of these guys, with a few burnt out WWE fans who might like to see Jericho or Moxley in another context, or heard exciting things about this Omega guy. (It's not going to be built on fans who haven't watched wrestling in 20 years, but I digress.) They'll need to create guys and make guys eventually--if AEW is a success in 10 years, it will be in large part because of people we've never heard of--but right now they just need the best wrestlers they can get. No need to overthink this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One side thing that is interesting, according to Dave, supposedly Greg had verbal agreement with NJPW and they wanted to push him this year. So if we assume that this is correct then two things pop out to me:

1. Was he really supposed to be White's mole? We speculated a bit about it, but eventually this whole thing was dropped/forgotten, but I think that timeline would vaguely fit this development.

2. If Greg had verbal agreement, but decided to stick with AEW instead and NJPW as a result killed his angle and will probably write him out after USA shows then (and Rocky teaming up with him one last time now makes perfect sense since Rocky signed new contract with NJPW)... that doesn't sound like something that promotions that are going to form, or at least are thinking about forming, partnership in near future would do.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, hammerva said:

If the story on the Torch is true about how Dean "hates hokey shit" then a month with the Bucks and the Bullet Club will help make his decision for him.

Pretty much kills what little possible heat the New Beginning in US shows had.  Seriously, if Kenny is coming, I'm not sure how AEW think's NJPW is gonna work with them after hijacking their US Expansion for themselves.

I would say the promise of getting New Japan wrestlers on a big cable network might be enticing, but I'm not sure how that would work with AXS, honestly. I'm also not sure how much leverage Kenny would provide AEW, considering he could probably negotiate a separate "I can work 2-3 New Japan dates a year" clause into his contract if he wanted to, as Jericho is supposed to have done. (I expect Kenny will do this, as I don't think he'd continue "feuding" with Tanahashi otherwise, and forego a tear-filled goodbye like Kushida got. He likes his promo time and melodrama too much.) And if PAC is off the table, and they can use Jericho and Kenny anyway, no one else in AEW would really matter to New Japan.