DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, cool arrow said:

Wouldn't Gaby Garcia be much better off in pro wrestling than MMA?

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yes, but not until she destroys Shinobu Kandori, wrestling grandmother, in an MMA fight... Does that make sense?

As much as Cyborg and Gabi being the new Bull and Dump would make sense (Cyborg's war paint is the best thing that skirts the Reebok policy along with Ion Cutelaba's Hulk body paint), I think the pro wrestling fanbase somehow would be worse in terms of just straight up savagery. The fanbase that tunes into RIZIN cards is it's own little collective that was spawned from the late era PRIDE and Dream and SRC on HDNet/AXS days, which wasn't that big of a group anyway.

When they made Gabi do that bizarre tearful apology for missing weight, I knew then she wasn't ready for pro wrestling quite yet.

Would it be worth brining Eric Bischoff in as a consultant especially if they are running live? I know that the Khans have experience in live sports broadcasting as they own a few pro teams but wrestling is a different animal. Bischoff has a history in live wrestling broadcasting, I wouldn't let him anywhere near booking but he knows how to run a live show as its going on plus he has a production company which could split some costs in producing the show. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:00 AM, Web Conn said:

@BEN! You ever watch the Rob Parker and Bunkhouse Buck stuff in AIW from a few years back?

I haven't seen Buck's appearance yet but I've got it on the list of stuff I plan on buying from Smart Mark eventually.  I saw the engagement angle and I could've sworn I saw the wedding angle but I didn't remember the Colonel working so blue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Any chance of them getting Zach Sabre Jr? It would have to be through NJPW for him and Will Ospreay, wouldn't it?

I mean, he’d totally stand out from the people they already have. So yeah I’d say for sure go for it. 

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Any chance of them getting Zach Sabre Jr? It would have to be through NJPW for him and Will Ospreay, wouldn't it?

Right. Both ZSJ and Ospreay are contracted to New Japan, and there is--as of now--no working relationship between it and AEW.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:04 PM, Beech27 said:

OWE works with Wrestle-1, so that could hint at a kind of relationship. 

Speaking of, this (according to this one tweet translation...) seems to indicate a “wait and see” approach from New Japan: 

If I'm not mistaken they publicly haven't said anything about not working with any other promotion. So me it sounds more like a neutral response that would generate least amount of attention.

If they want a guy like ZSJ but can't get the man himself, Chris Ridgeway would be a good alternative. Same style, but looks tougher thanks to being more muscular and less skinny. Plus he's all tattooed up. And unsigned AFIAK.

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

If they want a guy like ZSJ but can't get the man himself, Chris Ridgeway would be a good alternative. Same style, but looks tougher thanks to being more muscular and less skinny. Plus he's all tattooed up. And unsigned AFIAK.

Yes, but is he pro-Labour?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I have seen only 5-6 matches of him, but he doesn't look like ZSJ to me at all. He does lots of striking and rather simple submission (by that I mean that he doesn't really try to put people into pretzels like Zack) so to me he reminded me more Shibata than Zack. But as I said, saw only few matches of his.

They're starting to hit their stride again as this was another hilarious episode. "The beginning alone had me dying with Joey saying he'll sign any contract without reading it, to Matt's "that's right, you signed that lifetime deal with Lucha Underground" to how they basically wrote Flip out of the intro.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, Thibs said:

Looks like Sydal is done with Impact and both AEW and WWE want him. Because AEW doesn’t have enough guys that look and wrestle like him yet. 

I see where you're coming from, but is there enough people on the roster yet for this to be an actual concern? Jericho, Hangman Page, Maxwell Scarf Guy, Cody, the women on the roster, and Joey Janella don't really fit that mold to me. Not sure if this counts but PAC has a weird face. 

16 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I have seen only 5-6 matches of him, but he doesn't look like ZSJ to me at all. He does lots of striking and rather simple submission (by that I mean that he doesn't really try to put people into pretzels like Zack) so to me he reminded me more Shibata than Zack. But as I said, saw only few matches of his.

I saw him on RevPro's telly show, where they were building him up for a match against ZSJ, positing him as the mirror image version and so on. So possibly he was going out of his way to ape that style during those matches, to help with the angle.

7 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I see where you're coming from, but is there enough people on the roster yet for this to be an actual concern? Jericho, Hangman Page, Maxwell Scarf Guy, Cody, the women on the roster, and Joey Janella don't really fit that mold to me. Not sure if this counts but PAC has a weird face. 

Eh, I get what you’re saying but they all kinda seem the same. I’d be more encouraged if they signed some legit big guys for the top of the card. But it is early so we’ll see. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

They're starting to hit their stride again as this was another hilarious episode. "The beginning alone had me dying with Joey saying he'll sign any contract without reading it, to Matt's "that's right, you signed that lifetime deal with Lucha Underground" to how they basically wrote Flip out of the intro.

It also pretty much guaranteed that Omega is signing with that phone bit at the end.  

• Like 1