DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Well, you're kind of going back to the 'Wrestling isn't Wrestling' philosophy there. WWE RAW isn't a wrestling show, it's a show about a wrestling show.

Did anyone ever accuse The Larry Sanders Show of being a live action rip off of The Muppets? Because it kind of was, y'know. They tried to do a shoot version of Larry Sanders on Channel 4 once. The Bob Mills show. Regular chat show, but intercut with documentary footage from the production meetings, writing room and rehearsals as they were putting it together. It didn't really work.

38 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

So would combining Being the Elite with a live event like All In be a wrestling version of the Larry Sanders Show? 

Wouldn't be more like the Gary Shandling show where it was an actual TV show while in a joking way showing how the sausage is made with all of the breaking the 4th wall kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

Wouldn't be more like the Gary Shandling show where it was an actual TV show while in a joking way showing how the sausage is made with all of the breaking the 4th wall kind of stuff. 

So, you mean Juggalo Championshit Wrestling?

I think if AEW is going to succeed, they might want to look at what the ICP did in a pro wrestling ring and do the exact opposite of that.

48 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Would be nice if they actually gave a little background on Jungle Boy instead of just saying “We’ve signed Jungle Boy”. 

Who's to say they won't? You're jumping the gun based on the first episode. For now, they have Being The Elite and The Road to Double or Nothing, so they definitely can give you background about Jungle Boy. They played out their angles for All In on Being the Elite. They know how to tell a story. Now, if you choose to follow them on BTE or not until they get TV, that's on you.

I YouTube searched Jungle Boy there's a couple of matches I watched this is from the San Jose Taco Festival.

This actually ties in to the discussion about no ring a couple pages back

I can see why they would sign him, he's green but there's potential he has a different look he brings something to the table what that is exactly I don't know. Meltzer wrote about him in an Observer or two back to he's a Northern Cal/Bay Area guy who Cody has been on APW cards with over the last couple years and see's something in him. Meltzer also said something about Jungle Boy being a Cody Pet project or something.

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I YouTube searched Jungle Boy there's a couple of matches I watched this is from the San Jose Taco Festival.

This actually ties in to the discussion about no ring a couple pages back

I can see why they would sign him, he's green but there's potential he has a different look he brings something to the table what that is exactly I don't know. Meltzer wrote about him in an Observer or two back to he's a Northern Cal/Bay Area guy who Cody has been on APW cards with over the last couple years and see's something in him. Meltzer also said something about Jungle Boy being a Cody Pet project or something.

He's also Luke Perry's son.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Who's to say they won't? You're jumping the gun based on the first episode. For now, they have Being The Elite and The Road to Double or Nothing, so they definitely can give you background about Jungle Boy. They played out their angles for All In on Being the Elite. They know how to tell a story. Now, if you choose to follow them on BTE or not until they get TV, that's on you.

Well I posted the episode so clearly I’m following it.

And it remains to be seen if they can effectively introduce characters to a new audience. And I’m not talking about slapping a nickname in someone and saying “That’s Lucha Royalty!” like most wrestling companies do these days. 

The last guy I can say that was effectively brought in with a distinct character and built up from scratch was EC3 in Impact 2013. That’s the kind of presentation I’d like to see more of. 

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Which is just so weird. I legitimately thought I heard Dave wrong at first when he said that.

I actually thought they were ribbed by someone else because both of them are pretty gullible. I was more surprised they didn't fall for a joke than I was at the fact that he's Luke Perry's son. 

Also, watching that Suburban Fight clip, I had no idea that the We Watch Wrestling do commentary for them. 

Man, how did SoCal become THE indy wrestling scene and steal it away from the east coast? 

Jungle Boy isn't the type of wrestler I prefer in terms of style, but I like that they're looking young and relatively unknown. There really isn't a roster at all yet, so I can't speak to diversity--except in the literal sense, in which case I'd note it's still very white and male right now--but there's very little point in a new promotion that doesn't offer new wrestlers.

For all the talk of whether Cody and Bucks can book--I'm confident they can--we know way less about how good they are at scouting talent, which I'd argue is ultimately as important. If AEW is a viable major league in a few years, there will be stars on the roster no one here has heard of right now.

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Jungle Boy isn't the type of wrestler I prefer in terms of style, but I like that they're looking young and relatively unknown. There really isn't a roster at all yet, so I can't speak to diversity--except in the literal sense, in which case I'd note it's still very white and male right now--but there's very little point in a new promotion that doesn't offer new wrestlers.

For all the talk of whether Cody and Bucks can book--I'm confident they can--we know way less about how good they are at scouting talent, which I'd argue is ultimately as important. If AEW is a viable major league in a few years, there will be stars on the roster no one here has heard of right now.

Well, according to Cody they want about 30 contracted wrestlers. So more or less they have 1/3rd of that already.

Most of them look and wrestle the same so far. I’m hoping they make an effort to bring in more big guys who wrestle a brawling style. 

Which means they still have 2/3 to go. So, most of the roster. And only one of that third is 150-lbs doing a baby berserker gimmick. Sure, they have guys who are pacey and spotty, but welcome to 2019 wrestling. That honestly isn't my preference, and I'd like more grumpy facekickers and stretchers; but I also have to acknowledge the large gap that may exist between what I like/want and what will be their ideal business model.

I think that's the problem that keeps leading this thread in this circles, which others have articulated well; everyone has their ideal notion of what AEW should be to them, but we shouldn’t make the illogical leap to inventing objective sounding reasons why our preferences just happen to be the best decisions for business—we don't know. And every little news bite doesn't put them on the brink of disaster or breakout success. This is going to be a very long walk.

• Like 5

All of that is very true with the obvious lone exception of fancy Dan stages.

February 7th is the next big date and Brandi is teasing a reveal of the next woman to be signed. Hana Kimura, come on down! 

• Haha 1

I have pretty good faith in their character building so far. Small sample size, but I'm loving the MJF angle they started on BTE. Of course giggle bits and show booking are two different things. But who knows, maybe they'll turn Jungle Boy into the new Eugene.