DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

So did you guys hear about this new federation that the Young Bucks are making with the guy that owns the Jaguars?  Yeah, it's a total shock to me too. I can't wait for the WWE to buy the tape library in... oh, let's say 2022. 

(Also, if y'all carry on the way you did in the last thread, there will be a lot more shocks too.) 

First show is 5/25 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

First BTE episode I watched all thew way through. I liked it i'm late to the party on some of the schtick, could someone explain the snickers bit. I liked the behind the scenes stuff. The Bucks leaving Japan for the last time was emotional. The rally stuff was nice we know now that the crowd was loud and pretty well attended, funny footage from an iPhone put over the rally as a bigger deal then the professional life stream did. MJF babyfacing in front of Cody and heeling when his back was turned reminds me of Sting and Luger from early Nitro one of my favorite angles ever so I'm curious to where they take that. Page saying "he's just like Cody" at the end there was the cherry on top made the skit for me. 

• Like 1

Curious- how big is the gap between NJPW and Dragon Gate/DDT/NOAH/AJPW?

With Juice leading that faction in ROH- assuming NJPW stonewalls Kenny- how much impact could Kenny have going to another Japanese promotion (with Ibushi and friends?)-  unsure how much of draw Kenny actually is in Japan, but judging by crowds not totally booing him vs Tana and being the face vs Okada.

10 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

First BTE episode I watched all thew way through. I liked it i'm late to the party on some of the schtick, could someone explain the snickers bit. I liked the behind the scenes stuff. The Bucks leaving Japan for the last time was emotional. 

Haven't seen the episode yet but everytime Scorpio says something that is either the name of the candy bar or is part of their catchphrase Matt is right there with the candy bar in question.  So he'll say "Give me a break!" and on queue Matt will have a Kit Kat that Scorpio eats from.  It's admittedly stupid but I can't help but laugh at it.

And I was expecting them leaving Japan to be on last episode but that wasn't the case.  Them leaving ROH was pretty sad also as was last week when Marty realized he's on his own.  For all the wacky shit they do they sure know how to tug on the heartstrings.

13 minutes ago, alstein said:

Curious- how big is the gap between NJPW and Dragon Gate/DDT/NOAH/AJPW?

With Juice leading that faction in ROH- assuming NJPW stonewalls Kenny- how much impact could Kenny have going to another Japanese promotion (with Ibushi and friends?)-  unsure how much of draw Kenny actually is in Japan, but judging by crowds not totally booing him vs Tana and being the face vs Okada.

NJPW pays more, has more tv, higher attendances yearly, run bigger buildings more.

Rest of the promotions you mentioned are medium sized federations.

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Haven't seen the episode yet but everytime Scorpio says something that is either the name of the candy bar or is part of their catchphrase Matt is right there with the candy bar in question.  So he'll say "Give me a break!" and on queue Matt will have a Kit Kat that Scorpio eats from.  It's admittedly stupid but I can't help but laugh at it.

And I was expecting them leaving Japan to be on last episode but that wasn't the case.  Them leaving ROH was pretty sad also as was last week when Marty realized he's on his own.  For all the wacky shit they do they sure know how to tug on the heartstrings.

Oh ok gotcha makes sense cuz Scorp said he had "a case of the snickers" then ran off packed his bags got on an airplane went to a hotel room barricade the door and there was Matt on the bed with a Snickers and I thought hm i"m missing something.

Think I'm gonna keep watching cuz the goofy shit annoys me from time to time cuz its in jokes I'm not in on but the traveling vlog stuff I really like, It's the formation of AEW from the Young Bucks point of view, fly on the wall approach. Makes the Bucks more accessible you almost experience it with the Bucks.

I'm understanding how all this All Elite stuff came into fruition. There's a connection with the audience a personal connection in a way that the heartless soulless cooperate publicly traded machine, WWE can never reach they are too big. The trick is gonna be keeping this connection with the fans being accessible continuing to document the journey once All Elite becomes bigger.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Oh ok gotcha makes sense cuz Scorp said he had "a case of the snickers" then ran off packed his bags got on an airplane went to a hotel room barricade the door and there was Matt on the bed with a Snickers and I thought hm i"m missing something.

Normally when he says it Matt's there and he eats the candy.  This is the first where he runs off trying not get caught which is refreshingly different.  I'm already laughing heartily at this and can't wait to see it.  And somehow it ties into your accurate assessment of the show where a lot of fans are in on the in jokes and it makes the crew more accessible.  That's largely the reason why you could have penis druids and references to telephones at All In and it oddly makes perfect sense for those live and watching at home.  I highly recommend watching the show weekly as it's entertaining but also a sign of how good they can be at telling stories no matter how wacky they are.  And FWIW they have referenced stuff from over a year ago that ties into whatever current video is up.  So they are more than capable of establishing continuity in their stories.

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Normally when he says it Matt's there and he eats the candy.  This is the first where he runs off trying not get caught which is refreshingly different.  I'm already laughing heartily at this and can't wait to see it.  And somehow it ties into your accurate assessment of the show where a lot of fans are in on the in jokes and it makes the crew more accessible.  That's largely the reason why you could have penis druids and references to telephones at All In and it oddly makes perfect sense for those live and watching at home.  I highly recommend watching the show weekly as it's entertaining but also a sign of how good they can be at telling stories no matter how wacky they are.  And FWIW they have referenced stuff from over a year ago that ties into whatever current video is up.  So they are more than capable of establishing continuity in their stories.

Yeah they referenced Adam Cole being killed off in the cold open, I won't say anymore. You'll get it. I didn't know Adam Cole was dead.

I've always liked The Bucks, Cody Kenny etc in the ring. I guess I always pegged the BTE stuff as smarky internet worked shoot stuff. I was wrong its not. There are jokes about the form of wrestling and some of the absurd shit we all laugh at. But its not pretentious or at least the episode I watched wasn't.

I'm all in pardon the pun, I think this group of guys is gonna be the group of guys to make the go at the McMahon Empire. They aren't gonna dethrone the WWE, They are structured to survive but I do think there is gonna be a fight for the core audience member, the wrestling fan not just they consumer who watches on tv and orders the big 4 PPVs but the fan who watches the show, goes to the events buys the shirt etc All Elite might appeal to them because of the work rate, because of the perceived accessibility. I tink we are in for a fun period in wrestling.

• Like 1

On Monday, we had the chance to speak with Cody Rhodes, Executive Vice President of All Elite Wrestling. We covered a wide range of topics and will publish highlights from the interview in a few parts. In Part 1 of our recap, Cody speaks about his vision for AEW and how they plan to differentiate themselves from WWE.

A More Sports-Based Product

We asked Cody how he feels All Elite Wrestling will differ from WWE’s brand of over-produced corporate Sports Entertainment .

“I grew up in the world of sports entertainment myself because my main career experience is with WWE,” he said. “But when I say sports entertainment, I have a love for the side of the business that skews more towards sports. You find that a lot in New Japan Pro Wrestling, you find that a lot in early 90’s WCW that I am always notoriously raving about, I find it a lot in my father’s product, the same with Bill Watts – it’s more of the sports side of it. Pro wrestling is absolutely sports entertainment but it’s also pro wrestling. I think that’s the direction that we’d like to lean.”

Cody continued, “Initially, this was just the idea of doing a sequel to All In. Now it’s a massive endeavor that I’ve committed the rest of my career to. We want to keep that same spirit that we had going into All In, which was a wrestling show for wrestling fans by wrestlers. That’s really key. I spoke real briefly about a couple of things that are going to be really different, but I can say something that Tony [Khan] brings to the table in his analytical experience and his experience in the pro sports world, we’re going to have a heavy emphasis on wins and losses and will be leaning into the sports side of it in terms of that mattering a lot more. We’re not planning to create characters and chance moments in a single night vs. hopefully a more long-form story.”

Wins & Losses

At the Double or Nothing Rally earlier this month, Cody stated that wins and losses will be a big part of All Elite Wrestling. Digging into that topic further, Cody revealed that AEW is considering the possibility of featuring win/loss records and rankings.

“This is preliminary, but I can tell you that we have talked about rankings and we have talked about records. As a kid, we probably all read Pro Wrestling Illustrated and the different mags where they’d have the rankings. Everything we’d like to do is an effort to engage the audience. Not in a way that insults their intelligence. It is something that’s been discussed. I can’t confirm that we’ll do records, or we’ll do an analytical take on it, but I’ve seen some mock ups for some pretty cool stuff.”

“If you really think about it, somebody like Chris Jericho who just signed with All Elite Wrestling, that’s a really cool record to take a look at. Analytically, it’s a really unique outlook on his career, it’s incredibly impressive. New Japan does it in their own unique way, with Tag League and with G1 and you notice the fans get really into that. They want something they can sink their teeth into. I can’t confirm but we’re definitely looking at records and standings, it’s a very strong possibility.”

“Wrestling to me is very real. There is a side of this world that is artificial that we’re all well aware of that. But it’s a much fairer business (it can be) than people realize. And when I say that, the people that the crowd likes the most. Those are the people that you should invest in. You should never sleep on a moment, you’ve seen it before, a moment that the crowd gets behind somebody. That’s a thing to take note of.”

The records and stuff could be cool depending on how its done. 

If they can somehow combine elements like this along with the spontaneity/unpredictability of  a live show, you could have a pretty banging product. 

The key is to combine intriguing storytelling along with these elements that they’re looking into. 

One wild thing about Being The Elite is how far in advance they plot and film things out in regard to the storylines. The Cody/Omega/Young Bucks angle is a great example of that as they had an idea months in advance of how that story would turn out, even with dealing with two booking offices.

It’s also pretty funny that everyone else is basically playing characters and the Bucks are just perpetually tired dads.

• Like 1

Early 90s WCW didn't fail. It just turned into mid 90s WCW, and then became late 90s WCW, and then that died. Three completely different things.

I started watching Being The Elite last week. Starting with episode one. It's a travel vlog... but by the third one, they're already doing skits.

36 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Idk how bringing back early 90’s WCW, which failed with a billionaire backer then, would work now. 

Depends on if the characters are connecting to the crowds and if they're hip or in touch. 

I dont think they will have jobber matches like early 90's WCW. I don't count jobbers to the stars matches.

They seem to want borrow stuff from modern NJPW which is both workrate and character based.

There's the question of what will the tv shows rating will be.. TV 14 or PG. TV 14 would make them more different from WWE, they would be able to use certain words to use for promos on tv and bleeding.

• Like 1

I lost it at that cold open with Britt and the Bucks having no clue what she was upset about. Great continuity, great punchline.

BTE has been great. They've ran angles, created stories, and kept the audience engaged while making themselves and their friends bigger stars. It's why I'm cautiously optimistic about All Elite.

• Like 3