DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 1: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw (1/19/2019) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I personally love the attention to detail.  Even if you can't see all that from afar it's something that is unique to the fighter that means something to them.  As much as I liked the belts they used before I'm cool with the new belt.

Not sure if I'll be able to catch the show but that looks like a pretty stacked card to start on a new network.

• Like 1

Oh, here's where the belt discussion is.

I really hate it. It looks plasticy despite being gold, it has no personality, kinda looks like a twenty dollar Walmart toy belt, and replaces a gloriously gaudy BGB knock off.

• Like 2

Re: belts

Most MMA titles in the biggest promotions (or some of the smaller ones who choose to spend more on belt designs than fights) look like wrestling belts from the Attitude Era/MNW until the WWE started making all new belts. I think they all go to the same place. It makes you believe people are constantly fighting over the WCW tag team titles.

At the weigh-in, it just looks like a smaller, modified version of the big Gold belt.

They definitely took some design elements from the current WWE world title level belts, with the customizable side plates and giant logo popping out from the rest. But i can't say it better than "even though I know they aren't cheap, they look cheap."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was going to say that he reminds me of Christian Bale in the Machinist.

Good call. Unreal what Christian Bale did to himself for that movie.

TJ Dillashaw weight cut to Flyweight joins two other bad ones I remember still: Middleweight James Irvin and Featherweight Conor McGregor.

Prelim notes so far:

Geoff Neal looked pretty good against a usually sturdy Belal Muhammad. He strafed Muhammad with like 18 clean straight left hands.

Dennis Bermudez retired after a solid performance and win over Te Edwards. Bermudez looked undersized at lightweight so I'm guessing he moved up so he wouldn't have to make the cut for his last fight.

Cory Sandhagen landed the Aldo flying double knee and got a nice armbar submission against late replacement Mario Bautista. I wasn't so sure about putting Sandhagen against the likes of Lineker and Thominhas but why not? Three UFC wins and three finishes.

So is there anyone who was in an on-screen role for UFC on FOX who didn't get picked up by ESPN?

I mean, Ron Perlman? Wasn't his UFC association started as a way of promoting Sons of Anarchy on FX?

I remember ESPN's MMA show from before the FOX deal, where Jon Anik was the host and all of the pundits were the same guys who were FOX's lads in the early days. Kenny Florian and that. Then they all left to go to Fox, so it was being presented by Todd Grisham and the only pundit was Jorge Rivera. He used to pick Michael Bisping to lose every match. Sour grapes on that one.

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

So is there anyone who was in an on-screen role for UFC on FOX who didn't get picked up by ESPN?

I remember ESPN's MMA show from before the FOX deal, where Jon Anik was the host and all of the pundits were the same guys who were FOX's lads in the early days. Kenny Florian and that. Then they all left to go to Fox, so it was being presented by Todd Grisham and the only pundit was Jorge Rivera. He used to pick Michael Bisping to lose every match. Sour grapes on that one.

Jimmy Smith and Heidi Androl, who is doing PBC on Fox now that UFC is off Fox. Olivi made the jump since her husband is a UFC fighter.

Poor Vinicius Moreira tried so hard to get that takedown so Menifield could stop punching him the face. It did not work. Between the defense of Geoff Neal and Alonzo Menifield, the desperation takedowns are not working so well tonight.