DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 1: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw (1/19/2019) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

33 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Isn't that potentially a bit misleading though? There is a seven day free trial, how many of those signed up just to watch the event and will now cancel. If they stick around then its certainly a big deal as I wouldn't have expected it to do so well.

This is basically the same discussion regarding the WWE Network. They're going to really pimp out that initial number regardless of who unsubscribes within the seven days and their main concern will probably have more to due with subscribers they lose through attrition. They're also figuring that a lot of people will simply forget to unsubscribe.

I have a calendar reminder setup to cancel my subscription, but again, it's only $5. For such a low cost, I may just decide to keep it if there's enough content to watch.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, but aren't all the rumors about them dropping the division?

This fight was basically the equivalent of the stip match. If Cejudo didn't win, that's the end of the division. If he won, he basically can claim he is better than the bantamweight champ thus justifying flyweight staying around. I think Cejudo would actually serve as a double champ unlike the folks who fought and beat another champ (who all happen to come from the smaller weight class BTW) which makes Cejudo vs. Dillashaw II or whoever the BW champ is then intriguing. However, I think Cejudo would like to reign at flyweight until moving up makes sense.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I think that was,just people extrapolating wildly from the fact that they traded Mighty Mouse away.

There were credible rumblings, but they've been trying to make the flyweight champ vs. the bantamweight champ for the longest time. The person who the UFC perceived to be in the way was Demetrious. When it was evident he wasn't going to lose, they started not resigning people or just letting folks go. DJ vs. Cejudo II would have been the last flyweight title fight if DJ won. They would have forced Demetrious to go to 135 with that move. Cejudo winning that fight (in addition to the DJ-Askren trade) allowed a lot of folks to avert disaster on a public relations level and Cejudo beating TJ has allowed the remaining flyweights to keep their job.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Isn't that potentially a bit misleading though? There is a seven day free trial, how many of those signed up just to watch the event and will now cancel. If they stick around then its certainly a big deal as I wouldn't have expected it to do so well.

I don't think so because the amount of sheer UFC content about to happen week after week is going to keep a good portion of that crowd around especially at 5 dollars.  When Fight Pass launched, the pushback at 10 dollars didn't make sense to me (of course, WWE put the network out at the same time and the crossover between fans obviously). I never heard the subscriber base making a mad dash after the free trial. When Meltzer first put out a number for FP, it was around I wanna say 250k. Everytime he talked about Fight Pass when they did have events or someone asked about it in the mailbag in regards to subscriptions or WWE had a conference call about the network, it was always around that number or higher. Deadline reported they went from 330k at the time of the sale to 400k in early 2018. I think people are using WWE as the barometer when it's a different kettle of fish. Unless they somehow do a Conor fight on ESPN+, I don't expect that number to wildly fluctuate. 

As far as the biggest event on ESPN+, that is far from shocking. The biggest Top Rank event on ESPN+ was Terence Crawford vs. Jeff Horn. Like I was saying in the AEW thread in the wrestling forum, Top Rank literally has two stars in Lomachenko and Crawford with Manny Pacquiao (who I believe did the highest ESPN boxing rating until the last Loma fight right after the Heisman trophy presentation or the Loma-Linares fight H2H w/ UFC 224) now with Al Haymon and PBC. The UFC mid tier is much, much stronger than what Top Rank is bringing to the table.  Loma killed the UFC Fresno card H2H, but literally every other UFC card has more social media engagement and attention than whatever Top Rank can produce without those two. Even Eleider Alvarez-Sergey Kovalev II is kinda right around your run of the mill UFC on FS1 from last year and that's the biggest fight Top Rank has on the docket not counting Crawford vs. Khan on ESPN PPV.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not, but if I was more than a casual fan of UFC, it's a no-brainer at that price.

I mean, I pay more than that for Stardom and almost twice as much for All Japan.