DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 1: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw (1/19/2019) - Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC on ESPN+ 1

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 1: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw 
January 19, 2019
Brooklyn, NY (Barclays Center)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Henry Cejudo © (124.5) vs. T.J. Dillashaw (124.5) (first defense) - Cejudo, TKO (punches), R1 (0:32)
Greg Hardy (264) vs. Allen Crowder (252.5) - Crowder, DQ (illegal knee), R2 (2:28)
Gregor Gillespie (155) vs. Yancy Medeiros (155.5) - Gillespie, TKO (punches), R2 (4:59)
Joseph Benavidez (124.5) vs. Dustin Ortiz (124) -  Benavidez, DEC (unanimous)
Paige VanZant (126) vs. Rachael Ostovich (125.5) - VanZant, SUB (armbar), R2 (1:50)
Glover Teixeira (205.5) vs. Karl Roberson (204) - Teixeira, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (3:21)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Alexander Hernandez (155.5) vs. Donald Cerrone (156) - Cerrone, TKO (head kick and punches), R2 (3:43)
Joanne Calderwood (126) vs. Ariane Lipski (125) - Calderwood, DEC (unanimous)
Alonzo Menifield (204.5) vs. Vinicius Moreira (205.5) - Menifield, TKO (punches), R1 (3:56)
Cory Sandhagen (135.5) vs. Mario Bautista (135) - Sandhagen, SUB (armbar), R1 (3:31)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Dennis Bermudez (156) vs. Te'Jovan Edwards (155) - Bermudez, DEC (unanimous)
Belal Muhammad (170) vs. Geoff Neal (170.5) - Neal, DEC (unanimous)
Chance Rencountre (170.5) vs. Kyle Stewart (170.5) - Rencountre, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:25)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Donald Cerrone
Performance of the Night: Henry Cejudo
Fight of the Night: Alexander Hernandez vs. Donald Cerrone

Attendance: 12,152
Gate: $1.23 million
Rating: 1.925 million viewers (prelims)

Cancelled Fights:
Stephen Thompson vs. Robbie Lawler - Bout Nixed
Joseph Benavidez  vs. Deiveson Alcântara - Bout Nixed
Thomas Almeida vs. Cory Sandhagen - Bout Nixed
John Lineker vs. Cory Sandhagen - Injury to Lineker (Rib)
Glover Teixeira vs. Ion Cuțelaba - Injury to Cuțelaba 
Randy Brown vs. Chance Rencountre - Injury to Brown

Well, I guess Anthony Rocco (fka Tony) Martin has some company. Prior to this card, Dustin Ortiz had three main card appearances. All three were in 2014. The last one was against...you guessed it Joseph Benavidez.

Some of these dudes have strange UFC runs.

I find it interesting that the presser (and open workouts) for this show will have the two guys in the main event and the ESPN portion headliners Cerrone and Alexander Hernandez. No Paige VanZant. PVZ is not good with the media, but you would think if there was someone who would be front and center for the first ESPN show after being one of the first names targeted for the show, it would be her. In addition to way it has been slotted on the main card, I feel this is a true crossroads fight for VanZant. She should win definitely, but I dunno how you keep her if she loses.

See if Cejudo and Dillashaw both miss weight, will they just fight for the other title instead? Or would that be the sort of thing that commissions don't allow? I know the WBC has played fast and loose in the past with that sort of situation. Benn and Eubank were both struggling to make 160, so they let them fight for the 168 lb title instead. Even though the top two contenders at that weight were negotiating to fight for the vacant title.

31 minutes ago, AxB said:

See if Cejudo and Dillashaw both miss weight, will they just fight for the other title instead? Or would that be the sort of thing that commissions don't allow? I know the WBC has played fast and loose in the past with that sort of situation. Benn and Eubank were both struggling to make 160, so they let them fight for the 168 lb title instead. Even though the top two contenders at that weight were negotiating to fight for the vacant title.

I think it would just be an unofficial bantamweight title fight. I don't think New York is the state to pull that where the guys can still fight for the higher weight title. Moreover, the UFC has billed it for the flyweight championship. After UFC 223, I don't think the UFC wants to pull a switcheroo and then go through the red tape the day before the show to figure out if they can do it for the bantamweight title. It would just be easier to have the guys fight and then award the belt afterwards to whoever won if you want to do that. It just won't be on the books for the commission as one.

10 minutes ago, twiztor said:

does a ESPN+ subscription grant you access to regular ESPN?

As far as I know, you still need a cable subscription and do the whole sign in to your cable provider -> redirected back to the app to view ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews. 

I was trying to watch game 1 of the NBA Finals last summer and it took about 25 minutes on the WatchESPN/ESPN3 app to recognize my U-verse account. I think it happened because I had all the ESPN apps on my phone and was probably logged in to my old account I made YEARS ago. Hopefully, ESPN eliminates some of these and pushes all them into ESPN+.

• Thanks 1

See, if a ring looked like that (jewelry, not the Octagon) that would be a pretty nice design. But on a belt? It's too big. It's like they want it to look good to everyone from the twentieth row back, but it'd look rubbish to anyone cageside,

• Like 2