DVDVR Message Board

ERNIE LADD MEMORIAL BLACK HISTORY MONTH

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now all I can think about is the Magenta Thompson skits from In Living Color.

"Black Mama, White Mama...I believe that's the one where you kept your shirt on."

If there is a Pam Grier movie where she keeps her shirt on, I don't consider it a Pam Grier movie.

Bruce Lee passed away at July. Can I suggest now that the summer movie topic should be Kung Fu/Martial Arts pictures? 

(His birthday is in November, so badly timed between the Halloween & Xmas movie projects.) 

Also acceptable: September, birth month of The Great Kabuki 

• Like 2

Human Tornado is one of my favorite movies and probably Rudy Ray Moore's most entertaining film for me. Just a really fun movie full of comedy, sex and violence. It isn't as bleak as Petey Wheatstraw or Avenging Disco Godfather

James

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

(His birthday is in November, so badly timed between the Halloween & Xmas movie projects.) 

But his November birthday is the reason why El Rey has the Way of the Turkey marathon on Thanksgiving weekend.

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, I like Scream better than the original Blacula. You can probably blame Pam for that. 

If you pulled out all of the Dracula references and Blaxploitation stuff, Blacula and Scream would be two of the best vampire stories ever bar none. 

I was really hoping that Vampire In Brooklyn was going to be a good Blacula without the bullshit re-image, but it wasn't.

Speaking of Afrocentric vampire tales, Ganja & Hess would've been my pick for this thing if it weren't so infernally hard to find and I won't make anyone suffer through the sub-par Spike Lee re-image, Da Sweet Blood Of Jesus.

Def By Temptation might not be a bad pick for someone delving into Black Horror Movies.  I will put my personal fave list up in the Horror Movie Thread next month

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Speaking of Afrocentric vampire tales, Ganja & Hess would've been my pick for this thing if it weren't so infernally hard to find and I won't make anyone suffer through the sub-par Spike Lee re-image, Da Sweet Blood Of Jesus.

Kino Lorber put out a blu of Ganja & Hess.  It is mighty.

• Like 1

I will update the list of whose in and who still owes me a pick later this afternoon.

Just a quick reminder that I need all folks who are in and their movie selections by Monday

This is what I have for the list

Updated List of Entrants

• RIPPA
  • Odessa*
  • JT*
  • Fowler*
  • Driver*
  • Exec
  • J.H.*
  • nate*
  • Cliff Hanger*
  • SKOS*
  • Curt*

* - denotes folks who have submitted their selection

So it looks like I just need from @Execproducer and technically myself

If you want in - I need to know this weekend (and your selection)

20 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The deadline for reviews is... January 31?

Let's say Monday, February 4. That gives people through that weekend and if someone is the type who doesn't watch the Super Bowl - perfect excuse to watch something else.

Since the 1st is Friday - I don't know if I necessarily want reviews getting tossed out into the void of the weekend.

Maybe I will back fill with random stuff. We shall see.

Everyone should have received their movies.

Some folks said they might send me justifications for the movie they picked - I will gladly still take those.

Bonus reviews are always welcome (like I think I am going to use this as an excuse to clear out some of these documentaries that I need to watch)

The movie I was assigned was a little obvious, but it's also something I've seen all the way through over a period of years but never sat down and watched in one sitting.  I'm also trying to figure out whether my explanation of my choice is a paragraph or an essay, because I just watched it for the first time this century (and it would still be my first choice but that twenty year gap changes what I want to say about it)

Nor does, technically, anyone actually have to give one

Just a couple of people - when sending me their selection - said they would send me a reasoning so my initial comment was somewhat a reminder to them

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

okay time to seriously start working on your reviews and getting them in to me.

I will start posting stuff on Monday

i know you want a clear weekend so I will get mine in by Friday.  More than likely, I will have it done before COB tomorrow afternoon.