DVDVR Message Board

ERNIE LADD MEMORIAL BLACK HISTORY MONTH

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

And maybe next year we can run one for Chinese New Year and bring on the Kung Fu.

Oh, fuck yeah... JT and I might cause the board to crash... 

• Like 1

Leaving aside Phil's early morning attempt at drollery, fact is I usually don't participate in these things and will probably pass on this one. That said, I might pimp a couple or three films that otherwise might get passed over.  As I am a huge fan of Chester Himes, I have to make mention of Cotton Comes to Harlem. Godfrey Cambridge  and Raymond St. Jacques are dead on as Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson. That they didn't get Academy Awards is fucking criminal. The world needs more Chester Himes books filmed. 

On 1/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, RIPPA said:

I am not afraid to ban your racist ass if you submit the original The Birth of a Nation or Goodbye Uncle Tom. Heck - if you catch me in the wrong mood and try and slip Soul Man by too.

I would add the film Jezebel. That one is quite alarming.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would add the film Jezebel. That one is quite alarming.

Should we include all classic Hollywood films set in the Antebellum Era? Not that they are needed for this topic, but I'm genuinely curious what people think the limits should be. We can review fun films like in the Halloween Havoc threads or we can generate conversations. Or we can do both! This is why I think the pick explanations that most of us do for these things are going to be important. 

See, I wouldn't pick Song of the South but someone could possibly justify doing so to talk about the life and career of James Baskett or to bring up how viewpoints evolve. I saw it at a movie theater as a young child in the early 70's and I definitely had no clue there was anything wrong with it.

The way I see it, there are several directions one could go. Performer(s), filmmaker, subject matter or some combination of all three. Judging from comments, Blaxploitation is covered. I'd be dumbfounded if some of the better known filmmakers don't show up, so I'm leaning towards picking an actor or actress from the past that might be largely forgotten today. Or Richard Pryor. Can't go wrong with Richard Pryor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

The way I see it, there are several directions one could go. Performer(s), filmmaker, subject matter or some combination of all three. Judging from comments, Blaxploitation is covered. I'd be dumbfounded if some of the better known filmmakers don't show up, so I'm leaning towards picking an actor or actress from the past that might be largely forgotten today. Or Richard Pryor. Can't go wrong with Richard Pryor. 

Blue Collar is a gem of a film.

• Like 1

If you have Amazon Prime Video, there is an ad on channel called Brown Sugar which chock full of 70s Black Cinema (i.e. Blacksploitation movies). They have movies even I never heard of. So if you're looking for some fun stuff to review check it out.

James

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, RIPPA said:

Heck - if you catch me in the wrong mood and try and slip Soul Man by too.

For some reason, when I read this sentence, I was initially thinking of that awful movie Holy Man with Eddie Murphy.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

For some reason, when I read this sentence, I was initially thinking of that awful movie Holy Man with Eddie Murphy.

Because I have never actually heard of Holy Man, I went to Eddie's IMDB page and saw that HOLY SHIT!!! HE IS STARRING IN A RUDY RAY MOORE BIOPIC!!!! How am I just now discovering this??!!