DVDVR Message Board

ERNIE LADD MEMORIAL BLACK HISTORY MONTH

RIPPA

Since it was requested - same rules as Halloween Havoc and Christmas Chaos

Step 1: Say You Are In

Step 2: Pick a movie using "Black History Month" as your guidance and send to me via private message (or DM on social media works too. I just need to know who you are)

Step 3: Get assigned a movie

Step 4: Review movie you are assigned

Step 5: Send review to me (again either via PM or if you want to email it just let me know)

Notes: 

It is most helpful if you pick a movie that is readily available to be watched (legally). Any of the popular streaming services or Youtube are the best choices.

I am not afraid to ban your racist ass if you submit the original The Birth of a Nation or Goodbye Uncle Tom. Heck - if you catch me in the wrong mood and try and slip Soul Man by too.

Don't be a @CSC

Updated List of Entrants

• RIPPA
  • Odessa*
  • JT*
  • Fowler*
  • Driver*
  • Exec
  • J.H.*
  • nate*
  • Cliff Hanger*
  • SKOS*
  • Curt*

* - denotes folks who have submitted their selection

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not afraid to ban your racist ass if you submit the original The Birth of a Nation or Goodbye Uncle Tom. Heck - if you catch me in the wrong mood and try and slip Soul Man by too.

Oh, Soul Man is totally redeemed by the last scene of the movie.

I'm in.

The "Rippa has mentioned you in a topic: ERNIE LADD MEMORIAL BLACK HISTORY MONTH" notification I just got may be my all time WTF would someone possibly tag me in THAT thread for? moment in all my time here.

But seriously, don't be me.  

2 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

In. And I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to pick the original Birth...or even Soul Man for that matter...but this might be the topic where sending your reason for picking it might be REALLY important.

To be fair - I was mostly joking

For the most part - I trust everyone who usually participates in these things

• Like 1

BTW - the list so far

• RIPPA
  • Odessa*
  • JT
  • Fowler*
  • Drier
  • Exec

* - denotes folks who have submitted their selection

I will eventually move and keep the first post updated

6 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Can we get a deadline for picks?

How about this for a tentative deadline

Picks in by Monday, Jan 21... better known this year as MLK Day

• Like 2

Thinking seriously about participating, I'm just not sure how well my Fred Williamson and Pam Grier collections have aged.  Pretty sure that JT and I are the only ones who have watched Black Belt Jones all the way through... Hmmmm.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Bite your tongue sir!

I've watched Black Belt Jones more times than is probably healthy!

James

Great! A third member to our club, (JT and I have probably watched more bad martial arts movies than you would think possible).  Black Belt Jones is actually pretty damn good when you compare it to stuff like Silver Hermit of Shaolin.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Considering a took a class on B movies, I have seen my fair share of blaxploitation films. 

Hashtag Human Tornado 

Human Tornado is fucking Citizen Kane compared to Scream, Blacula, Scream! 

Damn, I wonder just how many hours I've spent watching absolutely awful movies?  

I'm tempted to sign up just in hopes that Execproducer gets my pick of Lady Terminator. ?

I have pretty good Martial Art film education thanks to WNEW TV in NYC. Saturday afternoons were spent playing outside until 3 and then 2 kung-fu movies. I've watched some real classics and some genuine horseshit. 

I really want the Criterion Collection to do a special release of The Street Fighter simply because its in the public domain!

James

14 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I have pretty good Martial Art film education thanks to WNEW TV in NYC. Saturday afternoons were spent playing outside until 3 and then 2 kung-fu movies. I've watched some real classics and some genuine horseshit. 

I really want the Criterion Collection to do a special release of The Street Fighter simply because its in the public domain!

James

Oh, that would be all kinds of cool. Actually a Criterion Collection set of Shaw Brothers stuff would run me broke.

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

Send me all the Indonesian cinema you've got. 

My collection was sadly limited to stuff that I could buy off my buddy, the late Bob Cleere at Vertigo Video (VHS stuff). I talked him into spending like sixty bucks to get Lady Terminator, boy was he pissed when he watched it. I was the only person that ever rented it. Hahaha. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

My collection was sadly limited to stuff that I could buy off my buddy, the late Bob Cleere at Vertigo Video (VHS stuff). I talked him into spending like sixty bucks to get Lady Terminator, boy was he pissed when he watched it. I was the only person that ever rented it. Hahaha. 

Thanks to Video Search of Miami, I discovered the astounding Barry Prima a long time ago.