Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Curt McGirt

Better Movies Than Novels

Recommended Posts

I showed my wife The Crow film about two years ago, and while I have very fond memories of it - as well as greatly enjoy the GN - she found it to be basically as 90s as a movie can get.

Of course we ended up watching another extremely 90s film that I also think fits this thread - Trainspotting. I love the novel, along with other stuff by Irvine Welsh, but the film is just so much more iconic and memorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie is a lot more streamlined and focused. The book is pretty all over the place.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't say it was better than the novel but it was at least equal:

 

Jurassic Park

 

The movie adaptation is very faithful to what is already a well-written, excellent book.  And you get that amazing scene where the dinosaurs are first visible - a scene that still has me in awe 25+ years later.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Irvine Welsh, Porno was very different from and way better than T2 Trainspotting. The movie's solid enough, but that book is an ass-kicker.

Since that's what not is being asked I agree with Trainspotting. Flawless movie, kind of wandering book. Though the film never showed one scene from the novel that would have "went too far", so points off....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

On the comics side: Any Mark Millar adaptation.  AoU and Civil Ward were both better than the stories whose titles they stole.

AoU is Bendis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! Those were separate thoughts! Wanted and Kick-Ass are much better movies than comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Boys, seems our friend T-Bird won't be joining us this evening on account of a slight case of death."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"Boys, seems our friend T-Bird won't be joining us this evening on account of a slight case of death."

"I think we can rule out 'accidental death.'" - Sergeant Albrecht's comment as Tin Tin's knife riddled corpse is taken to the coroner's van.

"CAW! CAW! BANG! FUCK, I'M DEAD!" - Top Dollar.

"Tell them Death is coming.  Tell them that Eric Draven sends his regards."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A History of Violence. 

Movie is great. Graphic novel is a piece of shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NAKED LUNCH (Cronenberg, 1991)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Control said:

NAKED LUNCH (Cronenberg, 1991)

What he said.  I hated reading that book in college.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Do you guys know the backstory to James O'Barr creating the comic? The whole thing becomes a horribly depressing tragedy circle. It was his way of dealing with his fiancee being killed by a drunk driver shortly before they would've been married. He basically stewed on it his entire time in the Marines, fantasising about revenge. 

The jacked up thing about that is that most drunk drivers are just tragic idiots.  They don't mean to fuck up, but they do and the damage they leave in their wake is devastating beyond measure and they have to live with the pain they caused and the lives they took until the day they died.

A person like that deserves to be brought to justice, but not Eric Draven's brand unless that person was a remorseless asshole.

It is comforting that James has always referred to the feelings he had bottled inside as poisonous and unhealthy.  Pouring his inconsolable hate and sadness into Eric Draven probably saved O'Barr's life.

It is always interesting to note how Barr uses the supernatural to justify murderous vengeance.  Eric returns from the dead to right a wrong and the Skeleton Cowboy pretty much tells him. "You're here to kill these men, so get to it."  Draven has a cosmic mandate to commit justified first degree homicide. 

He's not there to bring law and order or justice and capture these men so that they can stand trial for their crimes.  They've already been found guilty by the universe itself and the sentence is death.  Eric is only there to carry out the executions.

It is so Old Testament that it isn't funny and this is coming from a man who had an intense hatred and disdain for God and the criminal justice system when he penned The Crow.

I find it refreshing to have discussions with atheists and people who are wrestling with their faith about the nature of God.  They have real issues with the concept of Jesus as a benevolent and forgiving figure, but they sure do love the old school stuff where God makes it rain down sulfur, destroys entire cities, and turns people into pillars of salt because bad people deserve to get what's coming to them.

That says more about your own beliefs about the character of human beings in general and now how you feel about the idea of a benevolent deity.

I'm preaching and getting off topic, aren't I.

The Princess Bride movie is light years better than the book.

So are Psycho, Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, and Die Hard.

Yes.  Die Hard is based on the novel, Nothing Lasts Forever (1979) by Roderick Thorp.  It is a decent enough thriller, but it is no where as good as Die Hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It is so Old Testament that it isn't funny and this is coming from a man who had an intense hatred and disdain for God and the criminal justice system when he penned The Crow.

I find it refreshing to have discussions with atheists and people who are wrestling with their faith about the nature of God.  They have real issues with the concept of Jesus as a benevolent and forgiving figure, but they sure do love the old school stuff where God makes it rain down sulfur, destroys entire cities, and turns people into pillars of salt because bad people deserve to get what's coming to them.

That says more about your own beliefs about the character of human beings in general and now how you feel about the idea of a benevolent deity.

I'm preaching and getting off topic, aren't I.

Yes. Perhaps I can tie things together by suggesting The Ten Commandments is better than the Bible.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Yes. Perhaps I can tie things together by suggesting The Ten Commandments is better than the Bible.

Eh, the Book of Exodus is pretty fascinating.  I don't think that The Ten Commandments is better than that.

John Huston's The Bible might be better than Genesis, though.

I'll probably go to Hell for that bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Holy Bible" by Manic Street Preachers is better than literally everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you do, you'd get a chance to tell John Huston what you thought of his movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AxB said:

"The Holy Bible" by Manic Street Preachers is better than literally everything else.

Nah.  The Book of Revelations is probably one of the most ridiculously violent and enthralling things I have ever read as a human being.

It is weird how mankind has so many shared concepts like creation methodologies, apocalypse methodologies, and the like.

There isn't a culture on earth that does not have some sort of dragon or giant serpent symbolism in their folklore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John the Baptist wrote a lot of things, but he never wrote "ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart". Nicky Wire & Richey Edwards did. And that's like the sixth best song on The Holy Bible  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AxB said:

John the Baptist wrote a lot of things, but he never wrote "ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart". Nicky Wire & Richey Edwards did. And that's like the sixth best song on The Holy Bible  

Well played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've gone this long and no one has mentioned how The Outlaw Josey Wales is so much better than "The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales"/"Gone To Texas"

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tabe said:

I won't say it was better than the novel but it was at least equal:

 

Jurassic Park

 

The movie adaptation is very faithful to what is already a well-written, excellent book.  And you get that amazing scene where the dinosaurs are first visible - a scene that still has me in awe 25+ years later.

 

This is an interesting choice.  I think I like the book better...but then again the movie is incredible.  I don't know if there is a book/movie combination that is better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is an interesting choice.  I think I like the book better...but then again the movie is incredible.  I don't know if there is a book/movie combination that is better.  

I can totally see people liking the book more but the combo is definitely awesome.  One plus for the movie is that the little kid (now a boy instead of girl) isn't whining the whole time asking for ice cream as a T-Rex chases them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I can totally see people liking the book more but the combo is definitely awesome.  One plus for the movie is that the little kid (now a boy instead of girl) isn't whining the whole time asking for ice cream as a T-Rex chases them.

I think I like Dr. Ian Malcolm more in the book...except he's not Jeff Goldblum, which makes him worse.  All joking aside, the kids kind of make the movie for me.  I'll always associate dinosaurs with being 7-10 years old, so it kind of helps to have children of that age in the movie.  Seeing the wonder in their eyes when they see the dinosaurs turn to fear over the run of the movie kind of makes everything make more sense. I think you can have an annoying kid in the books, because you don't see their reactions.  If the kids in the movie don't work, I'm not sure the movie works.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silence might -- might -- be better than its novel. But only ever so slightly. 

Neither Red Dragon adaptation is as good as its book, as much as I love Manhunter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the whole, I bet most Bond movies were better than the novels or novellas on which they were adapted or from which they took the titles. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...