DVDVR Message Board

Scenes You Didn't Understand as a Kid

Craig H

2 hours ago, AxB said:

What happened to Stallone in the 80s? He had two franchises that both started out with a hero who was a relatable working class man pushed to his limits, and both suddenly switched into this jingoistic indestructable superman America Uber Alles deal.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That and Reagan.

I was literally going to just say "Reagan"

On 1/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, CSC said:

I mean really this whole thread could be re-titled "Childhood Blowjon Inuenndos I Didn't Understand".

The one that pops into my mind first is the Dan Aykroyd one from Ghostbusters.  

That's the one came to mind for me. Something similar happened to Eric Lassard in a Police Academy film.

Was born in 74. Both my parents were born in the 40s.Was taken to the drive in when I was 3 to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Was pretty much allowed to watch whatever I wanted. 

Of course cable not coming to my area until late 90 might be part of why I was allowed to watch whatever.

I had somehow forgotten about one other entrant into "Kids don't pick up on sex and/or racism".  Sometime around 90/91, maybe a little prior to that, MTV ran some promotion to the effect of, "Win a trip to meet/party with Guns 'n' Roses".  And Axl is in the commercial for it, explaining the crazy stuff they do.  At one point he mentions the bed in the hotel, and says something like, "This is your bed: it's never been slept in.  Well...it's been used, it's just never been slept in."  Wouldn't be surprised if the Tube has that commercial somewhere.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Late 90? You lucky bastard

Yep they day after Thanksgiving finally cable hit the area.  Was 20 channels for 55 bucks a month. Only premium channels offered were Showtime, TMC  and Disney. Was 10 bucks for each premium channel. And no PPV. 

1 minute ago, bobholly138 said:

Yep they day after Thanksgiving finally cable hit the area.  Was 20 channels for 55 bucks a month. Only premium channels offered were Showtime, TMC  and Disney. Was 10 bucks for each premium channel. And no PPV. 

They ran cable down the road next to ours in late 93. My sister and I used to walk to my grandparents to watch cable. Finally came down our road in 94.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:28 AM, MADCAP said:

When I was around 10-11, after my mom would go to bed,  I would sneak downstairs to watch soft-core movies on PRISM with Cinderella being my favorite.  For years, I never knew what a “snapper” was...

"Slang I learned from George Carlin for $500 Alex"

• Like 1