DVDVR Message Board

Scenes You Didn't Understand as a Kid

Craig H

Just now, Contentious C said:

Roughly as soon as they're born is preferable, in point of fact, so...yeah, particularly confusing.

Seriously, all the violence I've ever encountered was bad.  Every titty I've ever encountered was good.  We really have our priorities all screwed up in this society.

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My parents had no issues with me watching action movies.  I was told to close my eyes during one portion of Under Siege.  But one of my favorite things as a kid was a double feature of True Lies and Speed.  

I was born in 81 and my parents had no problem with me watching most action or horror movies. Hell, they took me to see Total Recall when it came out in the theater. Stuff with explicit sex was off limits though, as possibly seeing people banging was more dangerous than seeing people being disemboweled. I remember renting Pulp Fiction when I was 14/15 and my dad all of a sudden deciding I couldn't watch it.

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, all the violence I've ever encountered was bad.  Every titty I've ever encountered was good.  We really have our priorities all screwed up in this society.

I think there's good violence, like John Wick or that video of Richard Spencer getting punched.

6 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I was born in 81 and my parents had no problem with me watching most action or horror movies. Hell, they took me to see Total Recall when it came out in the theater. Stuff with explicit sex was off limits though, as possibly seeing people banging was more dangerous than seeing people being disemboweled. I remember renting Pulp Fiction when I was 14/15 and my dad all of a sudden deciding I couldn't watch it.

Also born in 81 and my parents were permissive in the extreme.  The only thing my dad ever banned me from watching was Natural Born Killers.  So of course I rented it the next time I went to a friend's house.

56 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think there's good violence, like John Wick or that video of Richard Spencer getting punched.

I was talking about violence (and titties) that happened to me.  I'm have no problem with righteous and /or entertaining violence (and titties).

As much as I love the Rambo series, that is probably the worst example of American violence worship in films. Not only did it make three redundant and each more hopeless/mindless sequels, they turned it into a fucking CARTOON SERIES?! There are pictures of me in my Rambocycle as a kid dressed like a mass murderer. Why was that okay? Because he was a patriot! 

Fucking Reagan...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Really?  Every single one?   You clearly never walked in on your 300-lb. college roommate cooking food naked, then.

I wish there more emojis we could choose from. That kind of scene deserves a horrified face.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was going to post this in the general thread but might be better here. :)

We will not discuss the gigantic crush I had on Caroline Munro as a kid.

Many young men found the bass in their voice thanks to her role as Margiana in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

I had always hoped that there would've been a film adaptation of The Warlord of Mars where she played Dejah Thoris, but alas fate is cruel and the only John Carter movie to make it to the big screen really really really sucked.

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

As much as I love the Rambo series, that is probably the worst example of American violence worship in films. Not only did it make three redundant and each more hopeless/mindless sequels, they turned it into a fucking CARTOON SERIES?! There are pictures of me in my Rambocycle as a kid dressed like a mass murderer. Why was that okay? Because he was a patriot! 

The real crime of the Rambo sequels is that all missed the boat on what First Blood was actually about.

You won't find a better indictment of the US Government and American society at large for its complete failure to honor the Solders that voluntarily signed up to defend the people of this republic and uphold the Constitution. 

His were the Orwellian rough hands that went into the night to do harm so that others could sleep soundly with a guilt free conscience.

Rambo's reward of homelessness and non-treatment of his mental health issues in exchange for his faithful military service (where he was asked to do some pretty terrible things in the name of his country) would be nearly unfathomable in today's climate.

Somewhere in there, Rambo was transformed from a tragic figure into a paragon of patriotism...

A highly trained killer that didn't know how to do anything but destroy the enemy and survive at all costs..... and he had a raging case of PTSD.

Only in America, fam.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In a lot of ways, it would have been better if they had kept the original suicide ending.

But I actually really like the fourth movie...

I enjoy it for the most part, but I do have issues with some of the themes of the movie.  I don't particularly care for the way that the Christian missionaries were portrayed. 

The poor man that was killed by those indigenous people a while a go tends to add to the stereotype that people on missionary missions are naïve idiots that do not respect the cultures they are trying to witness to, but faith in God does not make you stupid and not every problem has to be solved with guns...

... except maybe for the one in the movie as the story went out of the way to show exactly why the bad guys needed to die violently..

...which they did.. and I loved almost every minute of it...

Rambo IV has the right proportions of karmic justice delivered by large caliber weapons and it also tried to resurrect some of the heart and humanity from First Blood.  I will admit to feeling a sting in my eyes when John made the slow walk up the driveway of his father's house.  I hoped he would finally find the peace for himself that he fought for on behalf of his country.

The sad irony of First Blood is that when Rambo arrived back in the States when Nam was over, he only returned from war.  He never really came back home.

I certainly don't think all missionaries are idiots (at the risk of echoing the most famous "I'm no racist" line, one of my best friends was a missionary to Thailand for several years) but it's not a stereotype that was born from nothing. I mean, hell, we just had the fucking moron that got himself filled up with arrows in the news.

But, yes, Rambo was filled with glorious, satisfying, FUCK YEAH violence.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, J.T. said:

Only in America, fam.

I only just recently saw First Blood for the first time, somehow it's something I always missed. My only context until that point were the images of Stallone shirtless, red head band and machine guns a-blazing, so I was amazed how completely subversive First Blood was! 

Actually wrote up a Facebook post about how you couldn't just not do something like that today without being attacked by the hard-right types, but imagine the heads that would explode if you cast anybody besides a white dude as Rambo.

What happened to Stallone in the 80s? He had two franchises that both started out with a hero who was a relatable working class man pushed to his limits, and both suddenly switched into this jingoistic indestructable superman America Uber Alles deal.