DVDVR Message Board

Scenes You Didn't Understand as a Kid

Craig H

This is pretty much spawned by the comment about the Karate Kid in the Movies thread. The scene where Mr. Miyagi gets drunk and upset was really weird to me as a kid and I never understood it. I LOVED the movie as a kid though, but a scene like that went way over my head.

Years and years later, we're talking about probably not seeing this in my teens to seeing it again in my late 20s or so, I watched the movie again, got to the scene, and man...I felt so fucking bad for that character to the point where I got pretty teary eyed. It just meant so much more and I understood that scene as an adult, but as a kid it was just this funny or weird scene in a movie about a kid getting bullied rising up to kick all the bullies' asses.

Anyway, I thought this would make for an interesting discussion. What scenes in movies or even TV did you see as a kid and not understand or not get, but then later see as an adult and just get blown away by.

This isn't so much about me as it is about my brother..

When I was a teenager, my parents ordered me to take my kid brother along when I went to go see Ace Ventura:  Pet Detective.

When Ace returns the rescued dog to it's.... owner.. and receives his... reward... my kid brother asked me, "Why did the lady take his pants off and attack him? Why isn't he fighting back?"

I think I blushed nine shades of red in the theater.  I wasn't having THAT discussion with my ten year old brother.

Years later, he watched that movie again and figured out what was really going on.  We laugh about it to this very day.

By the way, I also made sure he took a bathroom break during the scene where Ace bangs Melissa.  Learn about that shit from your parents, not from the outside world.

I mean really this whole thread could be re-titled "Childhood Blowjon Inuenndos I Didn't Understand".

The one that pops into my mind first is the Dan Aykroyd one from Ghostbusters.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

lol yeah add me to the list who had no idea that Ray was getting blown by a ghost.

Years later, forgetting about that scene entirely, I decide to watch Ghostbusters with my daughter. Thankfully I distracted her somehow. I just remember she missed that scene completely.

• Like 3

The scene in Lawrence of Arabia where the Turks capture him and it's insinuated he gets prison raped went completely, totally over my head as a kid. 

Also, it's a really different kind of "over a kid's head", but the chestburster scene in Alien is one of the most fucking amazing things I've ever seen in a movie but it didn't really have much impact on me when I saw the movie as a teen. I didn't see it again until many years later, like late-20's, and it blew me right out of my chair just how brutal, out of left field, and well done that shit was. Goddamn. That movie is flat out amazing but I had to be old enough to appreciate just how well done all the tension is through the whole thing. At this point it's cemented in my 10 favourite movies ever made.

The bit in Bill and Ted when Freud offers to analyze Bill and he declines saying he just has a bit of an Oedipal Complex. Because of the young hot stepmother. I caught that scene for the first time in years when I was around twenty and lost it laughing.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, CSC said:

I mean really this whole thread could be re-titled "Childhood Blowjon Inuenndos I Didn't Understand".

The one that pops into my mind first is the Dan Aykroyd one from Ghostbusters.  

On 1/10/2019 at 1:49 PM, Craig H said:

lol yeah add me to the list who had no idea that Ray was getting blown by a ghost.

Years later, forgetting about that scene entirely, I decide to watch Ghostbusters with my daughter. Thankfully I distracted her somehow. I just remember she missed that scene completely.

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title.  I honestly never would have thought how universal that might have been.

• Like 1

Watching Ghostbusters as an adult in this Millenium really draws attention to how different things were in the 80s. Huge, massive kids film with loads of sexual innuendos, Ghost blowjobs, the heroes smoking in almost every scene, "This man has no penis", "I've seen shit that would turn you white"... and it was a UK PG in 1984! Although to be fair, the 12 rating didn't exist until 1990.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Watching Ghostbusters as an adult in this Millenium really draws attention to how different things were in the 80s. Huge, massive kids film with loads of sexual innuendos, Ghost blowjobs, the heroes smoking in almost every scene, "This man has no penis", "I've seen shit that would turn you white"... and it was a UK PG in 1984! Although to be fair, the 12 rating didn't exist until 1990.

And a college professor rigging a study to try and pick up a coed/student. 

• Like 5

The two black troopers in Spaceballs combing the desert with an afro pick yelling, "WE AIN'T FOUND SHEEIT!"

Similar to ghost blowjobs, you could rename this thread "Watching any Mel Brooks films as a child and then seeing them again as an adult."

• Like 4

14 hours ago, AxB said:

That's another exchange I didn't get as a kid, the whole "everything was fine until until dickless here shut down the grid" "is this true?" "Yes it's true sir, this man has no dick."

When you're that young you don't understand how brilliant Bill Murray is. He was kinda iconic to me already because I would always watch Caddyshack, Stripes, and Ghostbusters when I was really little. I just didn't understand shit. Later on you see that Bill Murray is basically an artist in sarcasm. 

Caddyshack is another where when I was little I probably only understood a 1/3 of that movie. 

Man, the movies my parents let me watch before I was 10...I couldn't imagine letting my daughter watch the same stuff. Just seems inappropriate.

21 hours ago, AxB said:

I remember when it came out when I was a kid at camp in 1984 and the older counselors went to see it at a drive-in and everyone was talking about it like it was a super "adult" type movie. So our perception of it may have changed at the time, but in 1984 I think Bill Murray at least still had the forbidden cache to kids and teenagers as a vaguely "we're not supposed to get to see this" kind of comedy.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's another exchange I didn't get as a kid, the whole "everything was fine until until dickless here shut down the grid" "is this true?" "Yes it's true sir, this man has no dick."

When you're that young you don't understand how brilliant Bill Murray is. He was kinda iconic to me already because I would always watch Caddyshack, Stripes, and Ghostbusters when I was really little. I just didn't understand shit. Later on you see that Bill Murray is basically an artist in sarcasm. 

Caddyshack is another where when I was little I probably only understood a 1/3 of that movie. 

Man, the movies my parents let me watch before I was 10...I couldn't imagine letting my daughter watch the same stuff. Just seems inappropriate.

The dickless moment was a big moment for me because I saw Ghostbusters in the theater with my grandpa and the theater all laughed really hard at that line and he missed it and leaned over and said "This guy has no what?" and I turned and yelled 'Dick!" and it was the first time I could get away with "cussing" in front of my grandpa and I think we both took note of that as the moment I became a man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think I sometimes overestimate in retrospect when I could handle adult movies. I will catch myself saying "I watched that when I was 10!" but when I think about it, there was a big difference between me at 10-11 and me at 13. When I was 10 or 11 even the sight of the Paramount logo would send me run screaming from a room because of Friday the 13th COMMERCIALS. At some point that changed and by the time I was 13 I would seek them out and was allowed to watch them.

But I sometimes forget just how much we change between 11 and 13 when I sort of brag about watching everything "as a kid."

It's amazing how time refracts. Time was so much slower at that age and so much happened it seemed in the space of a year. I can't believe how much my movie watching changed in that one year (year 13). At the start of my 13th year was when I watched a Friday 13th movie for the first time all the way through on purpose (part 5 on VHS..before that was just bits and pieces of Parts 3 and 4 on cable and mostly by accident) and I was terrified the entire time. By about five months later I was gleefully renting armfuls of slashers at a time and was one of those "actually there isn't a new camp every year and the entire series after part 1 takes place over a single weekend!" type nerds.

My parents wouldn't let me watch horror movies, but action or comedy? Very rarely did they not let me. I still remember laughing at Eddie Murphy's Raw and getting away with watching it. I probably only got a few things Murphy was saying, but charisma translates very well. 

Hey, I spent my early childhood in the lesser populated areas of Florida. Options at the drive-in were limited, so family outings consisted of such gems as Candy Stripe Nurses, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Trip with the Teacher, and the Cinema of Burt Reynolds.  Just a small sampling because we went every weekend.  I think I turned out fairly well-adjusted. 

What we really need is for one of the board trolls to come into the thread and say they spent their whole childhood watching Disney kids films and didn't see a PG-13 movie until they were already 21 years old. So we can all feel better about letting our kids watch Crank & Crank 2: High Voltage when they were 9.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I know I was watching R rated stuff as a teen/preteen whenever got a VCR in the early 80s. 

I basically lived at my grandmother’s house for most of my childhood (grew up in the 80s) so that I could go to the better school system there and one of my aunts who lived there had a huge VHS collection. I’m talking like over 1,000 movies (sometimes 3 movies to a tape in SLP mode). I have no clue how she was able to amass so many movies. In any case, I would get to my grandmother’s house from school and have at least 2-3 hours before my mom came to pick me up so I’d have tons of time to kill. I’d just grab whatever movie I wanted from my aunt’s collection and watch. This resulted in me watching stuff like Up the Academy, all of the Police Academies, the Meatballs series, the Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13th series all between the ages of 7 and 10. It’s amazing how many of those movies were PG or PG13 and had tons of cursing and nudity. Teen Wolf was PG and there’s a scene where the blonde chick is topless for a bit and another where Chubbs pours jello down a girl’s shirt and motorboats her.