DVDVR Message Board

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

Hooked up a free seven day Epix subscription to watch the Punk docuseries last night. Four hours of nothing I didn't already know, but it was alright... at least Malcolm McLaren's ass didn't get paid for his two cents. 

Oh, I did learn one thing! Green Day used to have a band name worse than Green Day. 

If any of these docs ever brings up Crass or Discharge I'll eat my hat...

EDIT: Here is an actual Crass doc. Beware the sudden fully nude Penny Rimbaud appearing about a half hour in. 

Even if you have no interest in Crass, the part about their spliced together Reagan/Thatcher tape ending up in them getting contacted by Labour and the KGB is pretty interesting, and definitely has shades of the current political climate.

As far as Discharge goes, they have something coming up as well 

https://www.therockpit.net/2019/new-documentary-on-the-iconic-punk-band-discharge-set-for-release/

Edited by Curt McGirt

Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project

The official description

For over 30 years, Marion Stokes obsessively and privately recorded American television news twenty-four hours a day. A civil rights-era radical who became fabulously wealthy and reclusive later in life, her obsession started with the Iranian Hostage Crisis in 1979—at the dawn of the twenty-four hour news cycle. It ended on December 14, 2012 as the Sandy Hook massacre played on television while Marion passed away. In between, Marion filled 70,000 VHS tapes, capturing revolutions, wars, triumphs, catastrophes, bloopers, talk shows and commercials that show us how television shaped the world of today and in the process tell us who we were.

A mystery in the form of a time capsule, RECORDER delves into the strange life of a woman for whom home taping was a form of activism to protect the truth (the public didn’t know it, but the networks had been disposing their archives for decades into the trashcan of history) and though her visionary and maddening project nearly tore her family apart, her extraordinary legacy is priceless.

• Thanks 1

Holy SHIT. That is way different than the vision I had of this story from what I've read (leave it to the media to twist a story on you). I was already interested in this and my interest level just skyrocketed from there. 

Meanwhile, on a baser intellectual level, can you imagine just how many wrestling programs she recorded?! 

On 10/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Hooked up a free seven day Epix subscription to watch the Punk docuseries last night. Four hours of nothing I didn't already know, but it was alright... at least Malcolm McLaren's ass didn't get paid for his two cents. 

Oh, I did learn one thing! Green Day used to have a band name worse than Green Day.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Punk and man Johnny Rotten is about 30 gig marks away from running an IWA MS show in front of 50 people.  Didn't know he ballooned that much. Still the same old person

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the music doc tip, this is on Night Flight Plus. Since the trailer doesn't give it away and I kind of don't want to spoil it, I'll say that it "explains" him well. 

Spoiler

H.R. is a diagnosed schizophrenic who also suffers from a condition that gives him extreme headaches, and the doc does a perfect job at ever so gradually digging into this and finally letting it be revealed at the end. He's treated with the utmost respect through the whole film, even though he's burned literally every single person in the doc at some point probably -- the stories are infinite and the doc doesn't even bother trying to list them. It ends up being quite sad but necessarily hopeful, which is the way he would want it. 

For a person I had admiration but not much if any real respect for due to some of his beliefs and behavior over the years, this helped me think much better of him. Even if he thinks I'm a demon. 

They also have a solid Circle Jerks doc on there too with tons of live material. Night Flight Plus is really a treasure trove of music docs period. I think I only pay what, five bucks a month for it? 

The Confession Killer

During the early '80s, Henry Lee Lucas confessed to hundreds of murders, bringing closure to unsolved cases and grieving families. Even with no direct evidence linking Lucas to the crime scenes, he stunned authorities with his ability to sketch victims' portraits while citing brutal details of each attack. Yet journalists and attorneys found impossibilities in Lucas’ timeline, and DNA testing started to contradict his internationally-reported claims. THE CONFESSION KILLER, a riveting five-part docuseries, explores how the man once called America’s most prolific serial killer was really a complex figure entangled with a flawed justice system. Directed by Oscar nominee Robert Kenner (FOOD, INC.) and Taki Oldham.

Citizen K

The latest Alex Gibney documentary

Oscar® winning writer/director Alex Gibney’s revelatory CITIZEN K is an intimate yet sweeping look at post-Soviet Russia from the perspective of the enigmatic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a former oligarch turned political dissident. Benefitting from the chaos that ensued after the dissolution of the U.S.S.R., Khodorkovsky was able to amass a fortune in financing and oil production and became the richest man in Russia. But when he accused the new Putin regime of corruption, Khodorkovsky was arrested, his assets were seized and following a series of show trials, he was sentenced to more than ten-years in prison. Today, as an exile living in London, he continues to speak out against Putin’s two-decade stranglehold on power. Expertly researched and photographed, Gibney uses Khodorkovsky’s story as a way to explore the complex interplay between oligarchy and government and its destructive effect on democracy, in Russia and beyond.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched this on Chiller. I'm convinced that Savini might be the luckiest guy in the world. He might have multiple ex-wives but that's about it. He owns the house he grew up in (the inside of which is crazy), he's had success in multiple crafts and disciplines, his kids and grandkids all love him... shit, everybody loves him, he has fun every day, and for a 73 year old man he looks about all of 45. Apparently he can't do effects anymore because of his hands but aside from that he's pretty much in the clear. BTW, he helped make HHH's helmet/mask thingy for Wrestlemania and I suspect he made rapper Doom's mask because it's sitting next to him during a good duration of his interviews. 

This guy even managed to survive Vietnam (and has a crazy story about a specific incident of survival involving a duck). Lucky isn't the word.