DVDVR Message Board

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

49 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's an easy one -- Xtians have indoctrinated their children to conform and obey for centuries, and most of them practice the exact opposite of what they preach. Growing up in America and witnessing the utter hypocrisy of popular, widespread Christianity, I'm surprised there aren't MORE Satanists and atheists out there... but then, humans tend to be pretty fucking stupid, so as you said, here we are.

That's more of a problem of the ones that shout the loudest get heard the most. I live in a Buddhist country and we have the exact same problem here. I can 100% understand the sentiment but don't let yourself believe that all religious people are bad or self-serving because that's far from the truth. If Satanists or atheists ever become the majority I think we'd still have the same problems where splinter groups split off with their own agenda. As you inferred in the last sentence, it's more about the people than it is about the religion itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Watched this series yesterday.   Just a great documentary about the build up and the actual landing on the moon in 1969.  No idea that the majority of people heavily into the space program was former Nazis

I watched episodes 1 & 2 so far and both were very good, if you have Apple TV or a Smart TV you can watch it via the PBS app. 

That Wernher von Braun and others were Nazi's wasn't that much of a secret, I assume that the Texans who decide what goes in text books have been leaving that part out for the past 30 years. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, hammerva said:

Watched this series yesterday.   Just a great documentary about the build up and the actual landing on the moon in 1969.  No idea that the majority of people heavily into the space program was former Nazis

I am through the first two parts.

Yeah, the von Braun and Debus stuff was fascinating.

I am also thoroughly pissed off by how Ed Dwight was treated. 

Even though I saw First Man, hearing the audiotape and seeing the aftermath of Apollo 1 was still gutwrenching.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

This is a really fascinating, complex, and rather disturbing documentary.  The argument I think  is whether you can charge someone with murder in the suicide of someone by encouraging a really depressed person that it is the right thing to do.   Clearly both of them have serious depression and suicidal issues.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:02 PM, hammerva said:

This is a really fascinating, complex, and rather disturbing documentary.  The argument I think  is whether you can charge someone with murder in the suicide of someone by encouraging a really depressed person that it is the right thing to do.   Clearly both of them have serious depression and suicidal issues.   

The legalities re pretty tricky but having seen the text traffic between Carter and Roy, you could certainly make the case for some sort of contributory in his death. 

The verdict of involuntary manslaughter seems about right given how much sway she had over Roy and how she really egged him on to get the deed done.

The serious thing to consider now is that you've set a binding legal precedent that affect future cases. 

If someone's child commits suicide and there is evidence of cyberbullying and you can identify the parties involved, can you then charge all of the bullies for manslaughter?  If you can prove the deliberate intent of the bullies is to goad the person into killing themselves, then can you bump the charge up to 2nd or 1st Degree Murder?

Is being a douchebag now punishable by jail time or perhaps even the death penalty?

It's a slippery slope and this is the first step down that path.

Edited by J.T.

In a general sense - they tend to be the ones that get the most attention

Like regarding the Patrick Swayze one - it is the highest rated/most watched thing in Paramount Network's (albeit short) history and it is "cable’s most-watched personality documentary of 2019"

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Watched this tonight. What's the deal lately with these "I am <deceased celebrity>" docs that I've seen lately?

It's an opportunity to make money whilst also raising a profile, and gives the star the opportunity to talk about what an Aahtist they are.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:54 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Watching Dear Zachary was a mistake. I'll never be happy again.

jesus Christ this movie WRECKED ME. I mean, it's technically a well made movie and all but I just remember curling in a ball and crying after it was over

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

jesus Christ this movie WRECKED ME. I mean, it's technically a well made movie and all but I just remember curling in a ball and crying after it was over

Yeah. Like, I went in having been told it was emotionally devastating and I still was not in any way prepared for it.

I can't deny it's both a fantastic piece of agitprop and a stunning work of art, but JESUS CHRIST

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

So, I guess this might finally be coming out? And I know it's just a list of talking heads but it's worth it just for the record scratch and introduction of a certain talking head that, if you know your '80s scene lore, is a shock to be on this doc. 

Anyway, the Big Boys rule. Now go start your own band! 

• 2 weeks later...