DVDVR Message Board

2019 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

On 3/31/2019 at 11:55 PM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Someone told me he was.  I don't listen to the Liquid Metal channel.  But I do listen to hear about Richard Christy's jaw rotting away, how he doesn't launder his jeans, he just Febreezes them and puts them in the freezer and the various vermin his father used to kill for dinner.  Beyond that though Richard is a monster on the drums.  Even if Stryper is his all time favourite band

Haven't listened to Stern in years, but I do know that Richard knocked up Sal and they had a baby, he loves Halloween and Pumpkin Ale and that when he lived in Orlando he lived in a storage unit. Don't know where that fits into his Death/Iced Earth timeline, but it seems that ending up on Stern was the most normal thing he's ever done.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That movie is going to fuck me up.

Dude, there is not much in the world that can break me out of my super-cynical nonsense than a gospel choir.  An Aretha Franklin lead gospel choir...that has to be something special.  I may take my mom to see this for mother's day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dude, there is not much in the world that can break me out of my super-cynical nonsense than a gospel choir.  An Aretha Franklin lead gospel choir...that has to be something special.  I may take my mom to see this for mother's day.

That idea is the fucking best.

I highly doubt it will be in the theaters in a month (it is starting its limited run tomorrow)

BTW - from Rolling Stone

So why in the name of all that’s holy did it take so long to get the film of that concert into theaters? It’s a long story, mostly involving daunting technical problems. Director Sydney Pollack, more than a decade before he’d win the Oscar for Out of Africa, failed to properly synchronize image and sound, rendering the film unreleasable. And then, after another four decades, another miracle happened. Digital experts stepped in under the guidance of producer Alan Elliott, and worked out the kinks.

EDIT

Even more detail

In 1972, Warner Bros. hired Sydney Pollack, fresh off of a Best Director nomination for They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, to film the recording of Aretha Franklin’s gospel record Amazing Grace. Armed with a camera crew and a team of sound engineers, Pollack took over the New Temple to document the two-night live session. Unfortunately, the filmmaker, having never recorded live music before, failed to use a clapperboard before each take to synchronize picture and sound. His 20 hours of footage were effectively worthless; after months of Pollack’s team trying to lip-read the reels, the film was indefinitely shelved.

Enter Alan Elliott, a film producer and former A&R man who had been obsessed with the film since his days at Atlantic Records. In 2007, he met Pollack and, with the director’s blessing, mortgaged his home to buy the footage back from Warner Bros. Elliott eventually created a cut of the movie, but when he tried to set up a private screening in 2011, Franklin sued to prevent it. This would be the first of many successful attempts by the artist to stop Amazing Grace from being shown in any venue, despite being on record as a fan of the film. (Her official reasons for stopping its release have never been made public.) Following Franklin’s death, Elliott arranged for a screening of Amazing Grace for 50 members of her family, who received it rapturously. Finally, he and Sabrina Owens, Franklin’s niece and executor of her estate, reached a deal to release the film.

I read a review of that last night as it's gonna be aired at SXSW and my immediate thought was "that is going to hit people like a bomb". 

Here it is btw, a good handful of rock docs are premiering. Rippa, you might want to dig up trailers for these: http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/sxsw-rock-docs/ In particular looking forward to that Creem Magazine doc! 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I highly doubt it will be in the theaters in a month (it is starting its limited run tomorrow)

The end of that video says that it will be only in cinemas on May 10th.  

12 hours ago, driver said:

Haven't listened to Stern in years, but I do know that Richard knocked up Sal and they had a baby, he loves Halloween and Pumpkin Ale and that when he lived in Orlando he lived in a storage unit. Don't know where that fits into his Death/Iced Earth timeline, but it seems that ending up on Stern was the most normal thing he's ever done.

I would have figured he lived in the storage unit while he was in Iced Earth since he left them in 2003 and got the Stern gig in 2004

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

The end of that video says that it will be only in cinemas on May 10th.  

That's a change from what box office mojo has since it says it is in theaters today (It's only 8 theaters but still)

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Watched this tonight. It's very good. 

I'm going to have to sign up for YouTube Premium to watch this, but I'm always fascinated about these type of documentaries.  Does anyone remember when The L.O.X. were trying to get off Bad Boy in the early 2000s?  I heard an interview years later about how their Bad Boy deal wasn't the problem, they were signed to what was the industry standard contract at the time.  Their problem was that they realized that they'd never make any money signed to a "major label."  They were smart enough to realize that people selling 10 million records weren't making money with a standard record deal, and they knew for damn sure would never sell 10 million records.  It's amazing how exploitative record contracts are.  

On 4/5/2019 at 6:24 AM, supremebve said:

I'm going to have to sign up for YouTube Premium to watch this, but I'm always fascinated about these type of documentaries.  Does anyone remember when The L.O.X. were trying to get off Bad Boy in the early 2000s?  I heard an interview years later about how their Bad Boy deal wasn't the problem, they were signed to what was the industry standard contract at the time.  Their problem was that they realized that they'd never make any money signed to a "major label."  They were smart enough to realize that people selling 10 million records weren't making money with a standard record deal, and they knew for damn sure would never sell 10 million records.  It's amazing how exploitative record contracts are.  

They obviously talk about the boy band contracts but the focus is more on Lou Pearlman being a scumbag. But they do the story of the first paychecks that N Sync got, which opened their eyes. There's also a funny moment from their lawsuit against Lou from the judge. 

We did the free trial of Premium just to get this doc. My wife was all-in once she saw Ashley Parker Angel was in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paris is Burning has been restored and remastered and will be getting a theatrical re-release in June as part of the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.

(Warning, the volume is LOUD.)

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Almost the whole first page of this thread is folks being infuriated about that doc

I was too busy being insulted by the lack of trailer buzz for Fast Color.

I didn't even realize it's out on limited release.

Besides, I am too busy binging on my usual shows to get too terribly experimental and adventurous with my Netflix queue.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

It just got its wide release last month but I remember hearing about it last year.

I am guessing some baseball writers I follow must have talked it up

My brother and my sister-in-law made this documentary and are currently making the rounds on the festival circuit with it. It's good. Try to catch it if you can. Hopefully it gets picked up at some point and can end up on a major platform somewhere so everybody can see it.

• Like 3