DVDVR Message Board

Lackluster Debuts

Web Conn

I completely forgot he debuted against The Gambler, one of my favorite jobbers ever. I loved that gimmick.

I am so happy to see this match, in large part due to this show being Glacier's debut and that also being the same day I got my cat Gracie. Despite being super-old now, she's still kicking.

Which is something that can't be said for either wrestler in that clip, or their promotion.

This is classic. Seriously one of my favorite themes ever.

This should have been the winner of the entrance music tournament. How did we manage to fuck up the entrance music even worse than we do March Madness every year?

• Like 1

I completely forgot he debuted against The Gambler, one of my favorite jobbers ever. I loved that gimmick.

I am so happy to see this match, in large part due to this show being Glacier's debut and that also being the same day I got my cat Gracie. Despite being super-old now, she's still kicking.

Which is something that can't be said for either wrestler in that clip, or their promotion.

The Gambler is dead?! That's literally the worst news I've heard all week.

If they had bought in someone, SOMEONE, Schiavone, Tenay to call it with Hudson, even for one night only, changed the match to Booker T vs Lance Storm or Mike Awesome maybe, let Booker go over clean THEN get attacked by the WWE guys.. 

Being fair- IIRC, WWF "DID" try and get another announcer with Hudson- just not a WCW announcer (it was said many times- including in his book: The WWF wanted to bring Jerry Lawler back as the color man for WCW alongside Hudson- but Lawler refused because they planned to only bring The Kat back for that one night and not re-hire her as well.) 

Wasn't the exploding of Stevie Richards face the actual debut match of Masters? I seem to remember it was during the period where big uncoordinated guys kept injuring him. Mostly Heidenreich.

Harlem Heat theme wasn't even a WCW creation, it was part of one of those licensed music packages that TV stations buy. It was always really distracting hearing it pop up in random places, like hotel menu screens or a Kids in the Hall sketch.

• Like 3

Harlem Heat theme wasn't even a WCW creation, it was part of one of those licensed music packages that TV stations buy. It was always really distracting hearing it pop up in random places, like hotel menu screens or a Kids in the Hall sketch.

I saw the 2 Cool/Rikishi face music turn up as "generic party music" during some 90s/early 00s tv show, although I can't remember which.

The Gambler is dead?! That's literally the worst news I've heard all week.

Breath safe. The Gambler's not dead, just his wrestling career.

Bunkhouse Buck, Arn Anderson, Hollywood Blondes, and Ricky Steamboat too.

The Blondes theme was so good they used it for what seemed like a million guys.

Yea, but that was pre-bischoff. . . late JCP/early turner era rocked with Doom, Vader, Sting, Luger and a couple others I know I forgot about.

Bunkhouse Buck, Arn Anderson, Hollywood Blondes, and Ricky Steamboat too.

The Blondes theme was so good they used it for what seemed like a million guys.

Yea, but that was pre-bischoff. . . late JCP/early turner era rocked with Doom, Vader, Sting, Luger and a couple others I know I forgot about.

I wish I could find it on youtube but Luger's entrance vs. Steamboat at Bash 88 was pretty cool. They played his kickass theme from that time and had him flexing while standing on a rotating platform.

The theme I'm referring to is here:

Mine was Foley's music circa the dX PPV. It was a remix of the original Mankind theme that they used for like a month.

That was the theme he was using when he won the title right? It sounded so awkward that during his feel good moment of running around the ring with the belt, this remixed funeral dirge type music was playing.

For the record, the InVasion PPV was all kinds of awesome. Everything that followed (outside of RVD) was shit, but that initial PPV was the tits.

I think your forgetting the breakout hit that was The Hurricane. Helms was over huge in the late summer/fall of 2001. Now that was a lot of fun.

WCW folding killed Helms momentum though, because he was massively over in WCW by the end... he was going to be a bust out star for WCW if they stayed open, and he had to start from scratch as Greg Helms in WWF. 

I really thought he was going to be world champ in a year or two in WCW if it had stayed open.  He was that hot. I thought he was going to be bigger than he was- but you can only do so much with a comedy gimmick, even if it means easy money.

For the record, the InVasion PPV was all kinds of awesome. Everything that followed (outside of RVD) was shit, but that initial PPV was the tits.

I think your forgetting the breakout hit that was The Hurricane. Helms was over huge in the late summer/fall of 2001. Now that was a lot of fun.

WCW folding killed Helms momentum though, because he was massively over in WCW by the end... he was going to be a bust out star for WCW if they stayed open, and he had to start from scratch as Greg Helms in WWF. 

I really thought he was going to be world champ in a year or two in WCW if it had stayed open.  He was that hot. I thought he was going to be bigger than he was- but you can only do so much with a comedy gimmick, even if it means easy money.

Did you hear him on Austin's show? He talks about how in a span of about 10 minutes they told him he couldn't use the name Shane Helms, couldn't use the Vertebreaker and couldn't have the Sugar Babies (the chicks who went to the ring with him). He lost his name, his gimmick, his theme music (it had Vertebreaker as the chorus) and the move that got him over in 10 minutes.