DVDVR Message Board

Lackluster Debuts

Web Conn

Masters was terrible when he first showed up.  Stiff as a board (not "stiff" an in he hit people hard, but stiff in that he barely moved), green as grass, etc etc etc.

He got good just about the time WWE gave up on him.

I can't remember if he was stiff all the time in the ring but he did smash Stevie Richards in the face and break his nose with his Polish Hammer.

Masters was terrible when he first showed up.  Stiff as a board (not "stiff" an in he hit people hard, but stiff in that he barely moved), green as grass, etc etc etc.

He got good just about the time WWE gave up on him.

I can't remember if he was stiff all the time in the ring but he did smash Stevie Richards in the face and break his nose with his Polish Hammer.

Early Chris Masters couldn't even work the "stand on the apron" part of a tag match right. I recall seeing him put his foot up on the turnbuckle for his partner to smash their opponent into it -- then take it down, because that wasn't the spot.

He was bad enough early on that I think it didn't matter how good he got later on; he wasn't getting another shot at that level.

For the record, the InVasion PPV was all kinds of awesome. Everything that followed (outside of RVD) was shit, but that initial PPV was the tits.

Match quality in 01 WWF was great. They had so much talent, it was impossible to do bad shows. Though you had to tune out the booking. 

For the record, the InVasion PPV was all kinds of awesome. Everything that followed (outside of RVD) was shit, but that initial PPV was the tits.

I think your forgetting the breakout hit that was The Hurricane. Helms was over huge in the late summer/fall of 2001. Now that was a lot of fun.

I think your forgetting the breakout hit that was The Hurricane. Helms was over huge in the late summer/fall of 2001. Now that was a lot of fun.

WCW folding killed Helms momentum though, because he was massively over in WCW by the end... he was going to be a bust out star for WCW if they stayed open, and he had to start from scratch as Greg Helms in WWF. 

Masters does not get credit for improving as early as he did. Every week he got a little bit better. Working with guys like Tajiri, Val Venis and Stevie (after he came back), by 06 he was a good hand. He had a real passion and work ethic about him too. It is what separates him from guys like Carlito. 

WCW folding killed Helms momentum though, because he was massively over in WCW by the end... he was going to be a bust out star for WCW if they stayed open, and he had to start from scratch as Greg Helms in WWF. 

I remember he was really over as Sugar Shane Helms at the end of WCW. The Vertebreaker was over with the crowd and he had kickass theme music.

• Like 1