DVDVR Message Board

Lackluster Debuts

Web Conn

Was that the night the nWo came out dressed in Canadian flags and sang the Canadian anthem? 

God, I never missed an episode of Nitro (Good use of my teenage years) and I cant remember my all time favourite wrestlers debut.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

According to the newest Nitro just added to Classics On Demand, Bret did debut on Nitro. I assumed his debut was Starcade as well. That about sums up his WCW run. Nothing memorable about any of it.

Except your username. ;)

I completely forgot he debuted against The Gambler, one of my favorite jobbers ever. I loved that gimmick.

I am so happy to see this match, in large part due to this show being Glacier's debut and that also being the same day I got my cat Gracie. Despite being super-old now, she's still kicking.

• Like 4

Scotty Goldman

Not just him but the other new job guys they brought in at that time too. I forget what names they used and don't care enough to look it up but didn't Jay Bradley and K.C. James both show up around the same time as Colt?

According to the newest Nitro just added to Classics On Demand, Bret did debut on Nitro. I assumed his debut was Starcade as well. That about sums up his WCW run. Nothing memorable about any of it.

I actually rewatched it yesterday. Bret's debut was wasted on an in-ring segment with J.J. Dillon and Eric Bischoff making him the special guest referee for the Eric Bischoff and Larry Zbyszko match at Starrcade. It was awful.

I was 12 and just a year into following wrestling, but damn if I did not think Glacier was going to be a major star. Besides all of the hype videos, the presence and some of the moves stood out from the rest of the roster. Nowadays he would have been shit upon mercifully, but that gimmick seemed so cool to a 12 year old.

Chris Harris in NXT/WWE/ECW.

I can't remember his name, or which show it was on, but he was so fat, lazy and pathetic that that single match ended his career.

From part of the hottest tag team in 5+ years to unemployment, based on that debut match.

• Like 1

I think you guys are missing an obvious one:  The Honky Tonk Man

People forget that when Honky came to the WWF, he was supposed to be a face.  He had two months of vignettes to build him up, and when he debuted, crickets chirped.  And the more desperately he pandered to the fans, the more they turned on him.  Really wish Youtube had it, because it's WWF at its worst:  a crowd refusing to go along with it while Vince cackles manically over how great he is.

I'd also throw Outback Jack out there but since his debut was the only TV match he ever won, I can't really say it is.

• Like 1

I completely forgot he debuted against The Gambler, one of my favorite jobbers ever. I loved that gimmick.

I am so happy to see this match, in large part due to this show being Glacier's debut and that also being the same day I got my cat Gracie. Despite being super-old now, she's still kicking.

i was hyped to see Glacier debut, his vignettes had me excited. His first few matches were fine, but i quickly lost interest as it became more and more obvious that he, quite frankly, sucked.  I, also, loved the Gambler character and didn't see this match until years later.

I can't remember his name, or which show it was on, but he was so fat, lazy and pathetic that that single match ended his career.

From part of the hottest tag team in 5+ years to unemployment, based on that debut match.

Braden Walker.

Posted Image

always got a kick out of this picture.

• Like 1

That Lashley debut is hilarious, coming in like that at the end of a PPV compared to what he actually did in the company and then being gone in under a year.

I thought MVP was going to suck and be nothing special at all when he first started showing up on Smackdown, then he had that No Mercy 07 debut and I became a fan instantly.. loved the entrance, the music, all the character perfectly. Always enjoyed his first real feud with Kane too.

Which wrestling debuts do you think fell flat? I'll start off the thread with Bobby Lashleys debut into TNA he just stands there and points

It seems like 90% of TNAs debuts are guys walking down the ramp and just standing there.  Bobby did a ton by comparison.  

Of course very similar to the Lashley debut

People forget that when Honky came to the WWF, he was supposed to be a face.  He had two months of vignettes to build him up, and when he debuted, crickets chirped.  And the more desperately he pandered to the fans, the more they turned on him.  Really wish Youtube had it, because it's WWF at its worst:  a crowd refusing to go along with it while Vince cackles manically over how great he is.

The vignettes and the pandering were intended from the start to turn him heel. I was probably like 10 at the time and it was obvious then.

The vignettes and the pandering were intended from the start to turn him heel. I was probably like 10 at the time and it was obvious then.

There was also some kind of hokey "vote of confidence" where you could call in and say you supported him. Almost like the RNN Updates.

On The Art of Wrestling Honky says Vince did want him to be a face but Honky knew the gimmick was meant to be a heel and so did the crowd and the crowd forced Vince to turn Honky, of course you have to take anything HTM says with a grain of salt.

Was that the night the nWo came out dressed in Canadian flags and sang the Canadian anthem? 

God, I never missed an episode of Nitro (Good use of my teenage years) and I cant remember my all time favourite wrestlers debut.

I think that was the night week after Survivor Series, with the legendary "Rick Rude on both shows" moment, a few weeks before Bret's actual debut.

In recent memory, the Wyatt Family. I don't even remember if it was against Kane or R-Truth. Still don't know what exactly is being done with them.

I'll second this. Since the night they debuted I really want to like them. Bray can obviously talk. I've read great things about Harper. But when I see Harper and Rowan wrestle all I see is slow and plodding big guy offense. It's a campier version of D.O.A.
I feel like I am the only one not sold on Bray. Maybe because I think he is doing the goddamn Electric Slide in his promos. It just loses me.

I actually rewatched it yesterday. Bret's debut was wasted on an in-ring segment with J.J. Dillon and Eric Bischoff making him the special guest referee for the Eric Bischoff and Larry Zbyszko match at Starrcade. It was awful.

Was that the Bischoff/Zbyszko match where Bischoff loaded up his boot, and then kicked Larry, thus "KOing" him, but leading to Bret giving Bischoff the DQ.  Only it was clear that the gimmick flew off his foot and into the crowd well before he ever made contact with Larry?