DVDVR Message Board

Raw is #FTR - 1/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Good I guess that they were actually dark matches and not ME, though the real issue wouldn't have been "Why are they on Main Event?" it would have been "Why is a debuting Lacey Evans dropping falls to fucking Nattie?"

Reading the reactions to Braun’s promo make want to watch the unedited footage of it. Feel bad for the dude. 

Speaking of unedited... Watched an official clip from Sasha Vs. Nia that had the apron botch(Says something when they won’t edit your fuck up). Was Nia too tired to take a flip bump, or was she supposed take a ddt style landing on the apron?

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - the Lacey Evans and EC3 matches were both dark matches.

They were not taped for Main Event

That would make a lot more sense, but they had the Main Event ring aprons so everyone assumed it was Main Event tapings.

I regret my decision to watch this semi-live like I used to.  For all the hype about the first show of the year with new changes and whatnot we get this.  I'm cool with Sasha/Ronda though the segment was dreadful save for Sasha's big line.  I'll have to rewatch the match as I was in and out of sleep and don't remember the botch.

I saw the video for Mean Gene which was great but skipped anything that Hogan said aside from his opening line introducing the video.  Unless there's something worth checking out I'm not watching the orange goblin (no, not that one, the OTHER one!) says or does.  I would have much preferred they had other wrestlers/legends talk about him instead of Hogan coming out.  If they absolutely had to have him on the show he could have done a quick pre-taped segment.

Now if you're into the whole brevity thing then long story short fuck Hulk Hogan.

• Like 3

Let’s see. Another Ambrose/Rollins lullaby? Hogan’s back? Braun doing a promo so scripted you could see his lips move along with Brock’s lines? That’s a lot of No Thanks for one episode.

Some upside: I’m digging the tag title feud if for no other reason than I like the guys involved. Sasha/Ronda should be a good match. And Lio Rush getting some main event of Raw time (he might be the only part of a Lashley/Rollins feud that’s consistently entertaining).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And this is all why Samoa Joe is the best. To date, he's been the only guy to cut a promo on Brock and Paul and sound convincing while doing it. There is no one else better on the mic in WWE than Joe. The New Daniel Bryan comes close, but every time Joe is on the mic the motherfucker is superfly TNT. He's the guns of the Navarone. And more than half the time it doesn't sound like it's scripted. It sounds like the Joe we've all known for years. Let these monsters and these larger than life people just go out and talk some shit. Even if it doesn't always make sense, it's going to be better than watching someone stand awkwardly trying to remember their line or seeing Nia say she weighs 300.5 ounces, which is about the equivalent of something like 18 or 19 lbs.

Can you imagine if that promo prowess and swagger was backed by booking which didn't make Joe always lose when it counts?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

And this is all why Samoa Joe is the best. To date, he's been the only guy to cut a promo on Brock and Paul and sound convincing while doing it. There is no one else better on the mic in WWE than Joe. The New Daniel Bryan comes close, but every time Joe is on the mic the motherfucker is superfly TNT. He's the guns of the Navarone. And more than half the time it doesn't sound like it's scripted. It sounds like the Joe we've all known for years. Let these monsters and these larger than life people just go out and talk some shit. Even if it doesn't always make sense, it's going to be better than watching someone stand awkwardly trying to remember their line or seeing Nia say she weighs 300.5 ounces, which is about the equivalent of something like 18 or 19 lbs.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The booking is definitely part of the problem. 

At this point, I half expect Cena to win the Rumble and dethrone Brock.

Cena is clearly the get out of jail option if needed. I'd have him win, dethrone Brock to win #17, and keep the belt on him until Roman returns. They don't fully trust Rollins. It's a fair concern. Rollins is all fury signifying nothing. He does moves because they look cool without considering whether they make sense.

Roman Reigns did exactly most of you want toward Brock when given room to do so: called him out, talked trash to Heyman, said he was going to send Brock back to UFC, etc. It was scripted, but decently so. The crowd responded well to it. But because he called Brock a bitch, it was deemed terrible and fake edgy in these parts. Sure. What we saw last night was terrible. Yes, worse than suffering succotash. At least Roman's delivery was OK on that. Brock was openly mocking Braun. It was sad to watch.

Braun doesn't know how to tell a story. Rollins isn't much better. They can flip trucks and somersault to the clouds. But control a narrative? No. And that's why they struggle. They get a lot of things right, but not what means the most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

It bums me out, but segment between Brock and Braun damn near killed Braun. Just looking at him standing there awkwardly, trying to remember lines he was given, and then have Paul and Brock bury him and mock him did no one any favors. For the umpteenth time, let guys go out there and talk shit. Stop having them try to remember a script or lines they were given. It's never natural sounding.

Shit, guys in UFC sometimes sound incomprehensible, but their promos are constantly better because it's just that person saying whatever comes to mind. Fuck. Call out Brock and call him a coward. Tell him he's afraid of getting these hands because it will be worse than the beating he got from Cain or Overreem. Mock the guy for his UFC record and running from the sport when things got tough. Say he's going to get his ass beat if he ever fights again just like he's going to get his ass beat at Royal Rumble.

Instead it's this constant "Beastie Boy" shit that isn't over with the crowd and it sounds lame. It sounded lame the first time he said it.

Joe in a Tarantino movie is something I want to see before I die. If we could transport 2019 Samoa Joe to 1994, he IS Tony Rocky Horror. 

Nia's 300.5 ounces line is on par with Sid's "half the brain" promo. Sid was awesome in every other way, Nia is not.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

WHAT... WHAT THE HELL IS A GIGAWATT!?

Well, gather 1.21 of them and you can go back to 1985, back to 1965, back to 1885 or forward (wait, i guess that's also back?) to 2015.  Good lord, could you imagine Raw from 1885?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nate said:

Well, gather 1.21 of them and you can go back to 1985, back to 1965, back to 1885 or forward (wait, i guess that's also back?) to 2015.  Good lord, could you imagine Raw from 1885?

Or as we call it in the other thread, "Red Dead Redemption Online" 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bayley's mugging in the background brings back bad memories of the "they it is" fingers that Roman did during Rock's backstage promo after the former's first Rumble win.  Not a good omen.

8 minutes ago, nate said:

I have to go back to 1865 to make my joke work. The Civil War would have been 50/50 booked to death. Abe Lincoln would have showed up the next week after getting killed like nothing happened, cutting a jokey Cena promo. John Wilkes Booth's heat would have been dead.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

That would make a lot more sense, but they had the Main Event ring aprons so everyone assumed it was Main Event tapings.

Someone (PWI? WON?) checked with the WWE (I think for the exact reason everyone in here was wondering too - why the fuck would they do that?) and got confirmation that they were Dark matches

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks like Nia was supposed to bump and of course..  she didn't. 

Having not seen the match, since I was busy celebrating Clemson curbstomping Alabama into dust, I just found the clip...

https://i.imgur.com/3EvtvV5.gifv

oh...