DVDVR Message Board

Great Songs In Horrible Movies

J.T.

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, he didn't even wait to get off-grounds? If you hadn't said schizophrenia I would have immediately thought abuse.

Darryl... oh man. He had this cheap fake leg that he'd have to basically kick when he stepped to lock into place. He got run over by a van while laying in the road drunk once. Dude was the first true junkie I ever met, on pills. My folks went away to Mexico one summer and me and my delinquent friends brought him over. He promptly ODed on pills, vodka and blackberry brandy and spent eight hours drooling on the floor talking to people who weren't there. Not a good situation.

I believe he left the grounds and may have scored dope. Then, he went back and slashed his wrists with a plastic knife on the hospital grounds.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, AxB said:

All this talk of Judgement Night, and nobody brings up the soundtrack sequel? Spawn, lads. Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot united at last! Marilyn Manson letting Kellie from Sneaker Pimps add backing vocals to a track they've already finished! And the movie were SHITE!

I had... still have... a legendary crush on Kell Dayton now Kelli Ali.

It saddens me that her post Becoming X pop rock music career hasn't quite matched up to her run as lead singer with the Sneaker Pimps.   

• Like 1

The Sneaker Pimps became involuntarily responsible for the reason why every song on the top 40 is now by ARTIST feat. VOCALIST and VOCALIST. Because while most dance acts are based around one or two producers and some singers for hire, they made the mistake of only using one singer for hire on their album. So the music press, and fans failed to realise they were a dance act, and assumed they were an indie pop act where the singer was the main star and the musicians were much less important. So they shot some videos, went on tour, and seethed with jealousy (and apparently wound up Marilyn Manson massively by refusing to shut up about how they were serious musicians, while they were making their Spawn song). Then Kelli quit/ was fired and tried to go solo, whilst the Sneaker Pimps tried to continue with other singers, but neither really went anywhere.

But, if they'd released those early singles as Sneaker Pimps feat. Kelli Dayton, all of that could have been avoided. And that's why all modern pop is always by someone featuring someone else. That and Feat. Wyclef, who at one point featured on every song in the entire top 40.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Okay - this thread went as well as expected. But the reason I am necromancing it against my better judgment is that I totally forgot it existed (probably was because it was in the Before Times) and for like the last year I keep thinking about starting a similar thread so I can talk about all the work Dru Hill put in to make this fucking great

This also may or may not have something to do with all the love Da Party gave it

• Like 2

Oh man, does anyone else remember when Will Smith performed Wild Wild West on some award show with Dru Hill and Stevie Wonder, and after the performance was over they forgot to walk Stevie off of the stage and he just sat there waiting for a long ass time? 

Just now, (BP) said:

Oh man, does anyone else remember when Will Smith performed Wild Wild West on some award show with Dru Hill and Stevie Wonder, and after the performance was over they forgot to walk Stevie off of the stage and he just sat there waiting for a long ass time? 

Nope - I remember that and now I can't stop laughing.

I am a terrible person

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - this thread went as well as expected. But the reason I am necromancing it against my better judgment is that I totally forgot it existed (probably was because it was in the Before Times) and for like the last year I keep thinking about starting a similar thread so I can talk about all the work Dru Hill put in to make this fucking great

Should this count though? It's a mashup of two great, basically iconic songs ("I Wish" & Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West") with Will Smith rapping over with film plot points. I like both Will and Sisqo as artists, but you could read your local phone book over it and get the same result. The source material is classic. It's like giving Diddy credit for rapping over Kashmir for Roland Emmerich's Godzilla movie. Puffy is wack as a rapper, but even he couldn't fuck that up. 

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would make the argument that it still counts because of how shit the movie was

It was a bad film, but you still had Salma Hayek's bare ass, Kenneth Branagh chewing the scenery, and Jon Peters' cocaine binge inspired mechanical spiders. You could do worse.

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin is not immune in any way to any thing. And Puffy is bad enough to put holes in the floor like Xenomorph blood. 

Godzilla '98 still getting frequent airplay on cable has to be the result of an insane bet (you mentioned cocaine?). 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Led Zeppelin is not immune in any way to any thing. 

Apparently, they're immune to quality, hard hitting documentaries that cover the band with any objectivity. *shoulder shrug*

And Puffy is bad enough to put holes in the floor like Xenomorph blood. 

Eh...Puffy during this time period was basically the antithesis of what Nas is now: Terrible rapper who can somehow finds the best beats/samples ever thanks to the assistance of Jimmy Page (mostly JPJ and Bonham's talents but I digress), Bill Conti, and Sting among others.

Godzilla '98 still getting frequent airplay on cable has to be the result of an insane bet (you mentioned cocaine?). 

Based on Roland Emmerich continually getting big budget flicks to direct for the last 25 years*, I think he has a contract for life with Hollywood. 

*although you definitely can argue Midway getting good reviews and being a BO hit gave him a new lease on his directing career post-Stonewall controversy and the gigantic flop of White House Down.

13 hours ago, (BP) said:

I believe it was the MTV Movie Awards. 

This amazing reggae cover of Baby I Love Your Way was on the Reality Bites soundtrack.  Which is why you probably never heard of it.

Reality Bites, well, bites..  The soundtrack did not.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Marie Antoinette was the drizzling shits, dude.  But listen.  Bow Wow Wow is on the soundtrack.

Look, Annabella Lwin is there in the flower of her youth.  Her mohawk awesomeness beckons you.  Take her hand and let her guide you though puberty one more time.

Edited by J.T.

I went back and fixed my broken links.  It was hard to find a vid for the Living Dead Girl remix since the album cover of Rob Zombie's Music To Strip By is not exactly safe for work.

I did my best with the Bow Wow Wow entry but some of their sketchy album covers are still in the slideshow.   All it will do is reignite your high school crush on Anabella Lwin.  If you are old and being honest with yourself, you will admit you had one.

Edited by J.T.

Speaking of crushes, hey!  It's Kelli Ali and some backup band she calls the Sneaker Pimps or something! 

I cannot believe the lost classic, Velvet Divorce was in a shit movie like A Life Less Ordinary..

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

This amazing reggae cover of Baby I Love Your Way was on the Reality Bites soundtrack.  Which is why you probably never heard of it.

I think you are forgetting how big a deal that soundtrack was when it came out

Granted it was Lisa Loeb who got the lion's share of attention but that album sold A LOT

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think you are forgetting how big a deal that soundtrack was when it came out

Granted it was Lisa Loeb who got the lion's share of attention but that album sold A LOT

Yeah, that's right.  MTV sold us all a bag of goods when the videos for the songs on the soundtrack were hot fire and the movie was a lump of coal.  It was a big budget shitty version of Singles.

Stay has had a longer shelf life than Reality Bites did.  Thank God...

Edited by J.T.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I may lose friends for saying this, but Tron: Legacy was hot garbage, dudes.

That Daft Punk original score should've been nominated for an Oscar, though.

I love the one scene where he enters the arcade set to Separate Ways though. 

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I may lose friends for saying this, but Tron: Legacy was hot garbage, dudes.

Who are you hanging out with that thought Tron Legacy was good?

What type of shit is happening on your base?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Who are you hanging out with that thought Tron Legacy was good?

What type of shit is happening on your base?

No one I rolled with thought it was good or even decent.   Some diehards here might have a more forgiving sliding scale than I do.

I'd be a hypocrite for judging them given what is on my list of guilty favorites.