DVDVR Message Board

Great Songs In Horrible Movies

J.T.

How do we get five pages without mentioning "Ballroom Blitz" from Suicide Squad, unless (God forbid) some of you thought that was a good movie. "Ballroom Blitz" may have been overused through the years, but it's still a kickass song.

Let's delve deeper into the soundtracks of the awful Crow movies for some badass songs, shall we?

All three of these tracks are from the Crow:  Salvation soundtrack.

Bad Brother - The Infidels (the video is mislabeled)

The track samples Juliette Lewis's song, Born Bad, from the NBK soundtrack.

Living Dead Girl (Naked Exorcism Remix) - Rob Zombie

Big God - Monster mother fucking Magnet!

Fun Fact:  I have used all three of these songs as entrance music for a few of my WWE CAWs.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I'd be the rare person who would also toss the original Crow into this pile, when it comes right down to it.  So 90s in the worst way; not even in the way that something like The Monster Squad is so 80s in a sense that you can laugh at (and occasionally with) it.   There's still a lot of wallowing in Crow 1.  And I say this as someone whose favorite movie in high school was The Crow.

I think what it comes down to, and what something like Watchmen also fails miserably at, is finding a way to cut the grimdark.  That doesn't necessarily mean playing it out like Infinity War, where you have Rocket being a jokey fuck the whole movie while also playing the sounding board for Thor's character development, but...something besides going onto fucking rooftops in the rain and smashing guitars, just to make every tortured 14 year old with first world problems flip their respective lids. 

The last time I rewatched it, I realized nearly all the best parts of The Crow were Ernie Hudson's parts, since he's just detached enough that he has real shit to deal with above and beyond the case, but because he worked the case, it marked him and you can see it drag him into the quagmire bit by bit.  The things that are real-world and not magically fixed end up resonating; everything else, not so much.  A better script with less focus on the bad guys and more on, well, the stuff J.T. said in the Movies versus Sources thread, would have helped, but obviously became untenable due to circumstances.

Or maybe it doesn't quite make the mark of "horrible".  Michael Wincott and Michael Kelly do tend to be pretty great in everything they do.  I don't know.

• Like 1

I totally posted the Jamiriquai 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I am also noting a VERY disappointing lack of Godzilla (1998) songs here:

And I will irrationally defend this song and have for 20 years as being great:

Odessa, Fowler, and I talked about it a few pages ago.

You could've at least hated my earlier post and re-posted the Jamiroquai joint, Deeper Underground that I Included earlier in the thread....

I don't think the guy from Jamiroquai is a musician so much as a monster from Silent Hill.  You never see his eyes.  Pull away that toque and there's probably no eyeballs, just brains and maggots.  Brains and maggots singing over a fucking didgeridoo and a drum machine.  That's some nightmare fuel. 

• Haha 1

My mom bought that soundtrack and played it eternally. 

Whoever mentioned Shottas, that has to rank up really high on the list. They probably made it for less than $27, and should have taken all the money they were saving and spent it on subtitles. 

This is the exact Maximum soundtrack: 

1. "Who Made Who"   3:27
2. "You Shook Me All Night Long" (from Back in Black)   3:30
3. "D.T." (instrumental) M. Young, A. Young 2:53
4. "Sink the Pink" (from Fly on the Wall)   4:13
5. "Ride On" (from Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap) M. Young, A. Young, Bon Scott 5:51
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
6. "Hells Bells" (from Back in Black)   5:12
7. "Shake Your Foundations" (from Fly on the Wall)   3:53
8. "Chase the Ace" (instrumental) M. Young, A. Young 3:01
9. "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" (from For Those About to Rock We Salute You)

Beat THAT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Um.. Maximum Overdrive is fucking awesome though.

It's a pretty good movie. Maximum Overdrive does not belong in this thread nor the Movies Better Than the Novels thread since Trucks is a fucking awesome story.

4 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Perhaps it belongs in a thread called, "Best Movies Co-Directed by Cocaine"?

I can only talk about Gaspar Noe movies for so long before I start to get angry.

If you wanted to bring up a less than great film that is entirely soundtracked by AC/DC, wouldn't you bring up Iron Man 2?

River's Edge is entirely soundtracked by Slayer, but nobody's mentioning that because it's good. Keanu Reeves is good in it, even. The stand out performances are Dennis Hopper and Crispin Glover, obviously, but Keanu does not disgrace himself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Perhaps it belongs in a thread called, "Best Movies Co-Directed by Cocaine"?

I was just gonna say that. 

River's Edge is excellent. And I swear I don't just feel that way because I lived it in high school right down to the one-legged older drug dude. May be Keanu's best performance. 

Not only does it have a pile of early Slayer it also features these:

Not too shabby

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was just gonna say that. 

River's Edge is excellent. And I swear I don't just feel that way because I lived it in high school...

Lads, I think Curt just confessed to murdering someone.

• Haha 1

Heh, close. One of my best friends strangled a 14 year old girl to death when he was 16. He cheated her on a dime, she called him a "cheap gangster wannabe", that's all it took. Left her in a strip pit and later confessed to his pastor. They gave him life.

Now Darryl, the Feck fill in, that's a whole nother story... 

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heh, close. One of my best friends strangled a 14 year old girl to death when he was 16. He cheated her on a dime, she called him a "cheap gangster wannabe", that's all it took. Left her in a strip pit and later confessed to his pastor. They gave him life.

Now Darryl, the Feck fill in, that's a whole nother story... 

Wow. That's a hell of a story.

I went to high school with a kid that stabbed his step-father to death with a samurai sword. I knew him, but not that well. He graduated the year after I did. He suffered from schizophrenia. The story went that the voices were telling him to kill his stepdad to protect his mother. He was spending the rest of his life in Trenton Psychiatric Hospital when he somehow was able to get off the grounds, then killed himself on the hospital grounds. 

Damn, he didn't even wait to get off-grounds? If you hadn't said schizophrenia I would have immediately thought abuse.

Darryl... oh man. He had this cheap fake leg that he'd have to basically kick when he stepped to lock into place. He got run over by a van while laying in the road drunk once. Dude was the first true junkie I ever met, on pills. My folks went away to Mexico one summer and me and my delinquent friends brought him over. He promptly ODed on pills, vodka and blackberry brandy and spent eight hours drooling on the floor talking to people who weren't there. Not a good situation.

• Sad 1