DVDVR Message Board

Great Songs In Horrible Movies

J.T.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Holy fuck.  How did I fail to mention

and 

City of Angels showed flashes of promise, but ultimately it collapsed under its own mythology.  There is a good story somewhere in that horrible, horrible movie.

I love The Crow: City of Angels soundtrack. Hole's cover of "Gold Dust Woman" might be the best thing they ever did. I actually saw the movie in the theatre. Making a sequel to The Crow was just a bad idea. I didn't even bother with The Crow: Salvation.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, J.H. said:

I'm also debating whether or not to bring up the subject of Boomerang because its a case of some people really dig it and other people don't (I flip flop on it depending on my mood). I mean does anyone really hate on "End of The Road"?

James

On 1/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, Contentious C said:

Boomerang is mediocre. You wouldn't Rifftrax it, so I think it falls below the threshold. 

I maintain Boomerang was a perfectly ok movie for its time that didn't age particularly well. It's nowhere near horrible.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Streets of Fire has to get some traction here, right? It's a terrible movie

tumblr_mknlkwT0tX1qdcfabo1_r3_250.gif

My contribution would be Shottas which managed to have the entire Marley family (including Bob) on the soundtrack and a bunch of reggae/dancehall bangers despite it looking like it was made on a budget of $27.

16 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Jami Gertz is the only reason I've seen it about a half dozen times.

The Bangles track for Less than Zero and watching the movie only to ogle Jami Gertz reminded me that I have a cheap DVD copy of the ridiculously horrible movie, The Allnighter, just for Susanna Hoffs.

There are no good songs in that bad movie.

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like Less Than Zero. It should have been a message to me, but it wasn't because my coke use didn't involve being pimped out and I never OD'ed. I try not to watch it anymore. Same with Scarface and Blow, but not Pulp Fiction oddly enough. 

Anyway, Less Than Zero's soundtrack kicks all kinds of ass. It gave us this cover. SLAAAAAAAYERRRRRR

As you know, we share a past fondness for the Peruvian Marching Powder, of the films that you mentioned, oddly enough, three of them don't bother me at all, Scarface is hard to sit through however. Funny thing, been sober thirty fucking years and was watching a Sopranos marathon with Kat yesterday and in one scene, Tony orders a Scotch on the rocks and damned if for a couple of seconds there I didn't want one... Guess this shit never goes away entirely. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I mean, how did y'all get this far without mentioning Justice League

Because the movie was better then that song. 

Only other cover I’ve heard that is worse is the Pump up the Volume version which thankfully only plays towards the end of the movie. 

It's fucking strange to think the same guy who directed that turd & its Clooney-flavored skidmark brother was also responsible for directing Falling Down, which is phenomenal and probably the first, last, and only movie where I can stand Michael Douglas (I suppose I could mention The Game as well, but that seems more remarkable for being the first, last, and only time I could stand Sean Penn).

Similarly, it's weird that Akiva Goldsman wrote the screenplay for Batman & Robin and The Dark Tower....AND A Beautiful Mind sandwiched in between.  What in the neverending name of shit.

We could spin this out into another thread of "One of these things is not like the others" and start with those two baffling entries.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, J.T. said:

Holy fuck.  How did I fail to mention

and 

City of Angels showed flashes of promise, but ultimately it collapsed under its own mythology.  There is a good story somewhere in that horrible, horrible movie.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:03 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love The Crow: City of Angels soundtrack. Hole's cover of "Gold Dust Woman" might be the best thing they ever did. I actually saw the movie in the theatre. Making a sequel to The Crow was just a bad idea. I didn't even bother with The Crow: Salvation.

Dumb fuck here has seen all The Crow sequels. City of Angels, horrible. Salvation is meh. Wicked Prayer is also horrible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Dumb fuck here has seen all The Crow sequels. City of Angels, horrible. Salvation is meh. Wicked Prayer is also horrible.

I saw City of Angels in the theatre. The high point of the movie for me was the Deftones performance.

• Like 2