DVDVR Message Board

Great Songs In Horrible Movies

J.T.

Okay, I'm going to end this thread with a winner that simply cannot be topped. Have any of you ever heard of the 1976 film All This, and World War II? When you have Beatles soundtrack with songs covered by such artists as Tina Turner, Roy Wood, Keith Moon, Jeff Lynne, Rod Stewart (this was '76 when he was still good), Elton John and the Bee Gees among others and the movie sucks so badly that it has never been officially released, (and let's face it, the guy that gave us Ram and Ringo are the surviving Beatles), it has to suck beyond anything that we can possibly imagine. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, The Comedian said:

Speaking of whole soundtracks...I've never actually seen The Crow: City Of Angels, but it's got a pretty bad rep as a movie, and an awesome soundtrack from top to bottom...

Holy fuck.  How did I fail to mention

and 

City of Angels showed flashes of promise, but ultimately it collapsed under its own mythology.  There is a good story somewhere in that horrible, horrible movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

New York, New York isn’t a horrible movie, but considering it’s the most maligned and forgotten from Scorsese’s prime years it’s incredible that the theme song outgrew it’s source material and became a standard. I don’t think I realized it was originally written for the film until years after I’d seen it. I guess I’d always assumed it’d been kicking around since at least the 40s. 

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

From the franchise killing dreck that was Batman and Robin (1997) comes this absolute hammer from the Smashing Pumpkins.

Oh come on, Batman and Robin was an outstanding movie if you just see it as a modern take on Batman '66.  Now, good songs in bad Batman movies:

Awww, I was so gonna post "Flash". I guess I can understand having some nostalgia for the film but the disparity between quality of film and quality of song is so stark. 

Insofar as Judgment Night is concerned, I've seen it from about halfway through and dug it; Denis Leary is pretty vicious in it. The soundtrack though! 

because of course I am going to post the Exploited cover medley

I would also like to give an honorable mention to Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" being both 1. one of the only decent Barnes-era CC songs and 2. being on Ace Ventura which really does not stand the test of time. 

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

From the franchise killing dreck that was Batman and Robin (1997) comes this absolute hammer from the Smashing Pumpkins.

To tag along with this, the Pumpkins did two versions of the same song.  The other The Beginning is the End is the Beginning was the trailer music for another movie that people had mixed feelings about (but I loved):

(of course the other trailer had Philip Glass's "Pruit Igoe", which is very awesome too.)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So far JT has ended 2 friendships in this discussion. I'm almost afraid to post the video for "Dream Warriors" by Dokken foe the mere fact his retaliation for calling Nightmare on Elm Street 3 a bad movie. But then I remember the name of the thread and suddenly remember that Dokken sucks

James

Dream Warriors has some of the best Freddy kills in the franchise,

but yeah, by early Elm Street standards this movie is really bad and Dokken does indeed suck.

54 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Hard to believe that you could make such a shit movie from such a great story. I know Bill Gibson (slightly) and he refuses to discuss the film. 

This is why I am frightened by the prospect of the upcoming Neuromancer project helmed by Deadpool director, Tim Miller.

I will immediately know whether this movie will suck or not depending on who they get to play Molly Millions.

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Oh come on, Batman and Robin was an outstanding movie if you just see it as a modern take on Batman '66. 

I saw it as a modern take on a piece of shit.

Batman Forever was worse.  At least Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy were clearly two separate villains unlike BF's Riddler and Two Face who both appeared to be failed clones of the Joker.

It's also hilarious that Kidman's flubbed line made it all the way through to the final cut of the movie.

• Haha 2

It just occurred to me that Matt Walker is the drummer for two of these songs;  Jurassitol (Filter) and The End Is The Beginning Is The End (Smashing Pumpkins).

I totally forgot that Walker took over as drummer for the Pumpkins after they fired Jimmy Chamberlain when he was going through his substance abuse thing.

He's also toured off and on with the band, Garbage, when Butch Vig is in the studio.  I envy Matt for being able to ride on a tour bus with Shirley Manson.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I'm going to end this thread with a winner that simply cannot be topped. Have any of you ever heard of the 1976 film All This, and World War II? When you have Beatles soundtrack with songs covered by such artists as Tina Turner, Roy Wood, Keith Moon, Jeff Lynne, Rod Stewart (this was '76 when he was still good), Elton John and the Bee Gees among others and the movie sucks so badly that it has never been officially released, (and let's face it, the guy that gave us Ram and Ringo are the surviving Beatles), it has to suck beyond anything that we can possibly imagine. 

It was WW2 newsreel footage and clips from 20th Century Fox movies from that era with Beatles covers as at the audio track, those things happened back then thanks to cocaine.

I always dug this version of "We Can Work It Out" by The Four Seasons.

3 minutes ago, happjack said:

It was WW2 newsreel footage and clips from 20th Century movies from that era with Beatles covers as at the audio track, those things happened back then thanks to cocaine.

"Cocaine's a helluva drug!"

• Haha 1

There's a scene in the awful Mad Magazine movie, "Up the Academy" that has "Yes Sir, No Sir" by The Kinks playing in the background. 

It's a guilty pleasure movie of mine because I remember sneaking it from my aunt's VHS collection and watching it as a kid a bunch as I had a big crush on the actress who played Candy. In any case, the song starts around 1:15 of the clip. This was the best one I could find so it's kind of tough to hear the song over the dialogue.

And if anyone wants to say Dangerous Minds is a classic, this song is also in Green Hornet. So is "I Hung My Head" by Johnny Cash.

Also, Bulworth didn't really work. But:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

HA! I'm defending it and I've only seen it like twice! 

I did read the book though. Bret Easton Ellis should have stuck to yuppie serial killers. 

I like Less Than Zero. It should have been a message to me, but it wasn't because my coke use didn't involve being pimped out and I never OD'ed. I try not to watch it anymore. Same with Scarface and Blow, but not Pulp Fiction oddly enough. 

Anyway, Less Than Zero's soundtrack kicks all kinds of ass. It gave us this cover. SLAAAAAAAYERRRRRR

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

"Gangsta's Paradise" is the thread winner. That movie suuuuuuuuuuucks, and that song is incredible. 

Sorry Eddie, but as much as I love Slayer (and I LOVE SLAYER) I just can't get behind the Iron Butterfly cover. Love the original but that doesn't work. 

There's an Austrian metal band called Artas that does a really good cover of Gangsta's Paradise.

Yeah, it's not Slayer's best work, but I still think it's a cool cover. Araya's vocals don't fit the song that well. I think the high point of the song is from 1:50-2:23.