DVDVR Message Board

Great Songs In Horrible Movies

J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

We can no longer be friends, James.  Josie & The Pussycats is brilliant scathing commentary on the commercialization of the music industry.

Also, Rachael Leigh Cook and Rosario Dawson were smoking hot.

I don't dispute this, like I said it is a guilty pleasure of mine but not exactly well liked by others. "3 Small Words" really should've been pushed to the moon as a pop song but wasn't. 

I'd also like to bring up the US release of Rumble In The Bronx, which is a meh Jackie Chan flick but damn if "Kung-Fu" by Ash kick all kinds of ass

James

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

I don't dispute this, like I said it is a guilty pleasure of mine but not exactly well liked by others. "3 Small Words" really should've been pushed to the moon as a pop song but wasn't. 

I'd also like to bring up the US release of Rumble In The Bronx, which is a meh Jackie Chan flick but damn if "Kung-Fu" by Ash kick all kinds of ass

James

Depending on how you feel about the movie, that could also apply to it being in Angus. 

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Easy answer for me.  From I Am Number Four, this is Civil Twilight's "Letters from the Sky" 

The movie is a mess of a teen romantic, sci-fi alien invasion(?).  So whatever, but this song is god damned epic.

So good WWE used it twice (Bragging Rights 2009 and WM 29 in 2013)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Josie and the Pussycats is a godamned masterpiece.

This is truth. And the soundtrack is awesome... and has only been performed in public once. 

For the entire performance by Kay Hanley and company (w/ cameo from Adam Schlesinger), I was 10 feet away from Tara Reid and Rachael Leigh Cook dancing to it. And Kay Hanley actually broke down in tears from people singing along to "You Don't See Me" 

They did a 50 minute Q&A with Cook, Reid (who was really cool and should do a commentary for the film), the director, writers and Hanley. Rosario Dawson showed up unannounced 30 minutes in, coming straight from the airport. We kinda went insane when that happened.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

All this talk of Judgement Night, and nobody brings up the soundtrack sequel? Spawn, lads. Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot united at last! Marilyn Manson letting Kellie from Sneaker Pimps add backing vocals to a track they've already finished! And the movie were SHITE!

My favorite track from the Spawn soundtrack: Filter & The Crystal Method- Trip Like I Do

• Like 1

the thing about Rumble In The Bronx is, it was Jackie's follow-up to Drunken Master 2 (if I remember ight) and while better than most action movies I didn't get that same awesomeness as I did seeing DM2 the first time (and still get from watching it now). I will say this, RitB is sooo much better than Thunderbolt

I'm also debating whether or not to bring up the subject of Boomerang because its a case of some people really dig it and other people don't (I flip flop on it depending on my mood). I mean does anyone really hate on "End of The Road"?

James

In the Elvis vein of musician vehicles:

Thieves in the Temple is the only good thing from the underwhelming soundtrack to Grafitti Bridge. 

Masked and Anonymous is an impenetrable, inane folly, but it’s worth it for this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I didn't get that same awesomeness as I did seeing DM2 the first time (and still get from watching it now).

You have Lau Kar-leung to thank for much of that. Jackie's films from that period aren't his best but they're still Jackie Chan films so I forgive them their flaws, including Thunderbolt.