DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] NXT 1/23/19 (Taped 1/3/19)

RIPPA

Usual caveat that they might air stuff out of order. Spoiler tags for size reasons

Per PWI

Spoiler

Week 3

- Velveteen Dream says he has a sparkle in his eye. That sparkle is championship gold. Adam Cole and Bobby Fish come out. Cole says 2019 is the year of Undisputed Era and they will have all the championships NXT has to offer. Fish says 2019 will be their Era and that is Undisputed. Dream says he disputes that but only if it's ok with Adam Cole. Cole and Fish go to attack, but Dream escapes. 

- Lacey Evans def. Xia Li

- Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch def. Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel

- Io Shirai and Kairi Sane def. Amber Nova and Tanea Brooks.

- Velveteen Dream def. Bobby Fish (w/Adam Cole)

- Ricochet comes out and says 2019 Johnny Gargano is the same as 2018, a liar and deceitful. Gargano comes out and says 2019 Johnny would rush the ring, but this Johnny has a plan. The two brawl until Tomasso Ciampa attacks from behind. Aleister Black attempts to make the save, but is laid out too. Gargano and Ciampa stare at each other as they walk up the stage until Candice LeRae pushes Johnny away.

Dark segment: All of Undisputed Era comes to attack Black and Ricochet. Heavy Machinery makes the save, leading to.....

Dark Match: Heavy Machinery, Aleister Black, and Ricochet def. Undisputed Era.

Notes:

- Nikki Cross and Heavy Machinery both got time after their matches to have the crowd say goodbye to them. Tucker Knight seemed especially emotional. Nikki Cross jumped on the announce table and flung her shirt all over the place.

- Tanea Brooks is the former Rebel from TNA.

Per WON

Spoiler

- Velveteen Dream entered for a promo, with him saying he's interested in the North American Championship. He was interrupted by Adam Cole and Bobby Fish -- who said that Undisputed Era will hold all the gold in 2019.

Cole and Fish went to attack, but Dream avoided them to show them up on the way out.

- Lacey Evans defeated Xia Li

The crowd liked Li after her MYC showings. They had a back-and-forth match that Evans won with the Woman's Right.

- Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch defeated Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel

Great sprint of violence. There were dives, strikes, and everything you could want in a quick match.

- Kairi Sane & Io Shirai defeated an enhancement team

The crowd loved seeing Sane and Shirai together as a team. They assisted each other with flips and won easily.

- Velveteen Dream defeated Bobby Fish (w/ Adam Cole)

The Purple Rainmaker got Dream the victory.

- Ricochet did a promo in the ring where he said Gargano in 2019 is the exact same as he was in 2018 -- not a champion. Gargano made his way to the ring saying he wasn't going to overreact, but he immediately attacked Ricochet.

Ciampa made his way to ringside seemingly to help Gargano, so Aleister Black interjected himself to even the odds. Gargano and Ciampa took care of Ricochet and Black and then had a staredown that went all the way up the ramp to the stage. Ciampa offered a handshake, with Candice LeRae running out and getting between them before Gargano could decide on his own.

Dark Match

- Heavy Machinery, Ricochet & Aleister Black defeated The Undisputed Era (Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong & Bobby Fish)

Undisputed Era were on their way to attack Ricochet and Black, so Heavy Machinery showed up and invited Undisputed Era to their after party.

This was an entertaining eight-man tag match to send the crowd home happy. Heavy Machinery went around ringside after to make their farewell to NXT.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a great episode. Good opening segment, crazy sprint between Lorcan/Burch and EU a random Rebel sighting and fun match between Dream and Fish.

Candace coming in at the end reminded me of all the times I've seen a spouse stop the other one from getting another shot at the bar. ?

• Like 3

EU vs. Lorcan/Burch was so damn fun while it lasted

The Kairi/Io squash tag was a nice enough showcase. I dug them building to more feuding with the Horsewomen.

Dug Dream/Fish. Really hope Dream gets a title before he leaves NXT.

Amber Nova gets another appearance! This time she's taking on the tag team of... oh. *scratches one in the loss column* 

Io and Kairi are a heck of a tag team, I loved their assisted finishers.

I'm really digging the type of match that Lorcan and Burch are excelling at: the sprint where they get in, beat the hell out of their opponents and each other, and get out. Aichner's double-springboard moonsault was absolutely gorgeous. Just a fantastic match!

36 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m including 205Live as the main roster.

Edit: Burch is billed at 190lbs, so I can see them getting called up together.

I hope we eventually get cruiser tag titles.

Lucha House Party

Jack Gallagher & Drew Gulak

Buddy Murphy & Tony Nese or Nese & TJP if Murphy keeps the CW title

I would have put TJP with Mike and Maria, but it seems they've been pulled off the road.

Burch & Lorcan

Akira Tozawa & Brian Kendrick

KENTA & Ariya Daivari

Singh Brothers

That'd be enough to put together a nice tournament. 

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

EU vs. Lorcan/Burch was so damn fun while it lasted

Holy shit, for a five minute match this was GREAT. All of these guys just had no fucks to give and kicked each other's asses nonstop. I don't know if it would have lost a step if they had gone any longer, but damn I want more of this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Holy shit, for a five minute match this was GREAT. All of these guys just had no fucks to give and kicked each other's asses nonstop. I don't know if it would have lost a step if they had gone any longer, but damn I want more of this.

Watch EU vs. Andrews/Webster from last week's NXT UK. They could definitely pull off an even greater match with more time.

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Lorcan is the king of the sub 5 minute matches. Look up him against Itami and Drew.

19 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Lorcan is the king of the sub 5 minute matches. Look up him against Itami and Drew.

I had completely forgotten about the Itami match but that was another one they just tossed all talking of pulling punches out the window and swung for the fences. Lorcan really has quietly become a undercard highlight on NXT, right there with Burch. Honestly I don't want them to go, but if they were to go to 205 live I wouldn't say no to either of them tearing shit up with Murphy

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Imagine thinking two years ago that Rebel would be working a match against Io Shirai and Kairi Sane  and be halfway decent in it 

She worked a Stardom tour in 2017. She has faced Io in a singles match before.