DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Did another catch up watch through of the last 3 weeks. Kay Lee continues to kill it, I love her promos. Liked Dani Luna's brief showings here, great theme music. I dig Pretty Deadly as a team. Todays episode had a solid cruiserweight main event plus Dar/A-Kid being pretty good. 

Kay Lee Ray & Jinny is one awesome heel team, hope they stick together for the occasional tag match like this. Xia Brookside looked good in her return squash. Fun battle royal to main event, I think the right guy won. Felt like an earned/deserved win as Dragunov has been killing it lately and is a fresh challenger to the title. 

• Like 1

What is Xia Brookside's finishing move supposed to look like? Because I'm fairly sure it's not supposed to look like the move her match finished with. Like it was a Lung Blower with the feet instead of the knees, but then it seemed like it was actually a reverse Monkey Flip or a jumping Japanese Leg Roll Clutch that went wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

So this week's NXT UK is the members of the roster picking their favourite matches from the archive. First, Dave Mastiff chooses Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask from MSG in 1982. Good start. Then Kenny Williams chooses... himself and a mystery partner vs Grizzled Young Vets from ten months ago. Not even from a Takeover, from a TV taping. It was dull. Then El Ligero picks Kay Lee Ray vs Tegan Nox for the NXT Women's title. Pedestrian. A-Kid picks William Regal vs Cesaro. So overall, a worthwhile episode.

• 4 weeks later...

This last episode was recapping Imperium. Which was basically WWE recapping exactly where and how they went all wrong with this. They show Walter debuting and challenging Pete Dunne, they show his first NXT UK match squashing Jack Starz, they show highlights of the belt changing hands on Takeover New York, and then the rematch in England. Where they suddenly decide that booking Walter as an unstoppable wrecking machine (which is what has gotten him over literally everywhere he has ever gone) he should be a sneaky, cowardly heel who relies on outside interference to win. And it just deflates the crowd. In every clip up until this point there had been large, noisy crowds but from here on in, there's less people there and the ones who are there, aren't as into it. Then there's a six man Imperium vs British Wrong Style which ends after a ref bump when Imperium add a fourth member who interferes to give them the win.

It's a real illustration of how and when WWE told the BritWres fans that NXT UK is not going to be the wrestling they like a have become used to. It is absolutely a WWE product that happens to feature a UK/ European roster.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

And last week's was also NXT:UK wrestlers picking their favourite title matches. The first one was Finlay vs Regal... from Great American Bash 2004. It was for the US title, Finlay was supposed to wrestle Lashley but he did the job to elevated Liver enzymes on the pre-show. The wrestling was good, but the whole match was based around (the then-unnamed) Hornswoggle interference spots, and the crowd chanted Boring, so fuck those fans. Although I swear I saw Drew Cordeiro (Beyond Wrestling promoter) on the side facing the hard cam. JBL was terrible at commentary. Piper Niven picked the finals of the NXT:UK Women's title tournament between Toni Storm and Rhea Ripley, who has really leaned out since then. And then some bloke who wasn't born yet picked Bret vs Bulldog from Summerslam 92, which they showed like 12 minutes of. But it really ended the episode on a high.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So this weeks show is another Superstars pick the matches. Stupid Name Holland picked Bret vs Dynamite from the British Bulldogs VHS Tape 1985, which was a very early example of the WWF missing a finishing move because they were replaying an earlier spot and cut back to live action as the ref was counting three. Piper Niven chose herself vs Serena Deeb from the MYC. But Dave Mastiff, he picked Finlay vs Regal from Uncensored '96.

I've always like Dave Mastiff, me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They're airing this video package on Ilja Dragunov where he's talking about growing up in poverty as a Russian immigrant in Germany, and how as a child he pulled a mostly empty tube of Pringles out of a rubbish bin and ate them. And they cut to this shot of a plate of Pringles that they've shot with this glowing golden light on them, so they look like Pringles from heaven or some shit. The most glamorous, most beautiful Pringles ever, they looked like. Certainly didn't look they'd been dragged out of the trash by a small boy who was starving. So jarring. So inappropriate.

Maybe they were trying to be on the safe side legally, so that the producers of Pringles don't get pissed off at them for showing their product in a negative light and demand compensation? Or, maybe even those shitty Pringles looked like a treasure for young starving Ilja and they were trying underline that notion? He did say that it was the first glimpse of the fact, that there could actually be something better than he was experiencing at that point.

I don't think Pringles is one of their current sponsors, are they? They weren't just promoting the hell out of them because of that? "Pringles, so good that even eaten from a dumpster, they still taste like heaven!"

To be honest, I have no idea why that was, or why it was necessary to show Pringles at that point, as if people didn't know what he was talking about if they didn't? Apparently, someone did think it was a good idea, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed that all three matches were given ample time, something I felt was lacking in past episodes of NXT UK I had watched.

Noam Dar looked so much better than the last time I saw him wrestle on 205 Live. His wrestling seems so much more meaningful than in the past where it just seemed that he did a lot of kicks before putting on unrelated submissions. 

Also really great to have Nigel back on color commentary even if it's just NXT UK. Easily the best color commentator they have in WWE.

Edited by blitzkrieg

Number of people appearing on this episode despite having Speaking Out allegations made about them: 3. Sid Scala, Joe Koffey, Wolfgang.

Scala being notably scummy, because he's actually suing Mariah May for naming him as her abuser. A lawsuit she can't afford to defend herself in because she hasn't worked for six months thanks to the pandemic.

They've announced seven names for the Traditional WoS rules tournament and one mystery Wildcard entrant, and next week they're drawing the brackets with special guest Pete Dunne. I reckon it's pretty even odds that he will announce himself as the mystery entrant there.

Yeah, I hope Pete Dunne is the mystery entrant.

If Noam Dar was trying to look like even more of a douche, the new hairdo sure did the trick. Main event was intense, but out of all the people in the ring this week, I only care about Dragunov (and maybe seeing Dar getting his ass kicked).

Pete Dunne lost a lot of weight. I'm sure he's in great shape now, but he doesn't look like a Pro-Wrestler any more. He dropped a bunch of mass.

Saxon was showing some FIRE in the match against WALTER!

Hmm, Dunne didn't say he was going to be the wild card entrant in the tournament, but I sure hope he will end up being there! Dunne-Mastiff in the finals, please!

The Primate has spent all this down time in the gym, because he looked amazing!

Yes, Pretty Deadly IS the most handsome tag team in NXT UK history, but the bad news for them is that The Hunt are the runners-up, so does that really FEEL like a big accomplishment?

For all accounts, this feels like a new women's champion time to me, unless the paranoid Toni Storm gets involved somehow? Let see where it goes?

Hey, Eddie Dennis! He rules! Wasn't he supposed to be part of this tournament? Don't tell me he still hasn't healed up?

Dunne as the special guest ref? There is like zero chance this ends up well for either one of the participants!

Ok, title match time, wow this one took a weird turn pretty quickly. There sure is a story, but it's really fucked up! Yes, the turnbuckle came into play. That was pretty awkward, but by all accounts it was on purpose. No Storm, but Ray still able to retain. Ooh, Jinny! So, this was like a semi- face turn for Ray to show determination as champion, so a heel like Jinny can rain on her parade and take the title? I get it now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1