DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I guess I'm alone in not getting Kay Lee Ray's whole thing. That 'surfing for the first time' pose she does is awkward and she doesn't really stand out in the ring that much. I thought there were better women around to topple Toni Storm and there's better women now to carry the title. I see KLR with the belt and I just think

tenor.gif

Really enjoyed the Hunt vs. Pretty Deadly. Mastiff/Williams was also pretty nice though I'm not sure if Williams was legit hurt or just selling that well. Starz/Devlin was a good showcase for Starz. Piper/Jazzy was fun while it lasted though I don't think Piper needed a straight up win here or anything.

The backstage segments with Dar/Seven and Xia/Nina were nice.

Nothing great match wise today, but I thought everything was pretty nice and there was some good build for future episodes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Need to catch up by at least two episodes, but I really dug the Gallus vs. Andrews/Webster match from a few weeks back. That was way better than I expected and easily the best match Gallus has had. Wolfgang stepped up, and Mark Coffey didn't drag things down. Webster and Andrews were generally good as usual.

Got a soft spot for Mark (can't imagine why,) and I really think that he found his calling being thrown around by Wolfie. 

Someone told me that Nina Samuels needs to be managing Pretty Deadly and the more I think about it, the righter that is. 

Loved the Trent vs. Dar feud apart from that one DQ finish. The idea behind it was solid, but the actual DQ they went with was weird because that's just not what referees usually seem to do in that situation. One minor gripe though, the rest of it was great stuff.

NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool II has officially been announced for Jan 12, 2020

The clearly aren't concerned about the live streaming numbers since that will be up against the NFL Divisional playoffs

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:20 AM, Phantom Lord said:

Tyler Bate is so damn good. Ohno vs Bate might be one of my favorite matches of the year. It's a shame if he ever made it to the main roster, he'd be the British Shorty G.

Oh wow. I just realized Gable vs Bate is a match I want now.

Tyler Bate and Trent Seven are both so damn great and their match against Undisputed Era was on of my favorite NXT TV matches. I know Ohno is never going to amount to anything more then what he is now but the guy is still great and as long as he's putting on matches like this it's ok by me. I loved his cocky look when Bate was trying to German him like "Are you fucking kidding me" turn to utter shock that he was being lifted and about to be dropped on his head. I hope Tyler stays far far away from the main roster. And since you mentioned it, can we get Gable on a plane over to the UK asap???

• Like 1

Did anyone capture/archive the afternoon rehearsal and full tapings with director's audio feed that accidentally went out live via an unlisted YouTube stream over the weekend? I would be fascinated to watch this just from a "this is how the sausage is made" perspective.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k9m9/wwe-hid-a-pre-show-rehearsal-to-youtube-a-glitch-exposed-it

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly catching up. Bate/Ohno was wonderful and easily the best thing Ohno has done in either NXTs. Dragunov/Wolfe was pretty darn good and the best either guy has looked. That was the first match to really get me into to Dragunov in NXT UK.

• Like 1

Just caught up on the last 3 episodes again. Loved Dragunov/Wolfe as well, great stuff from both. The following weeks 8 man tag was fun chaos with a logical ending. I had been waiting for Killer Kelly to get back into things so kinda sad to see her used as kind of just a throwaway since returning. Kay Lee Ray as champ is my fav, I like Isla Dawn, and great to have Toni Storm back but I think Kelly belongs in the mix too. Ligero/Banks/Conners triple threat this week was badass.

Solid episode. Liked the opener, not being familiar with either team but Pretty Deadly seem like a good heel team. Loved the video package on the womens title feud, KLR is the best. Jinny continues to be a highlight as well. Really good main event between Bate/Dar, great job with a match that Dar was obviously never going to win but making it seem like he might at different points.

• 2 weeks later...

So NXT:UK is now televised in the UK, let's give this a try. Dave Mastiff's nickname is now 'Bomber'. Nice tribute to fellow midlander Pat Roach, but 'The Bastard' and 'The Ring Destroyer' are both better nicknames. Obviously Pac is the Bastard now. His opponent Kona Reeves is from Hawaii. This is a very American match. Well, the heel cheats to get on top doing bland offence, then the babyface gets control, does more impressive moves, and wins easily. Pretty squashy.

Toni Storm is coming to the ring, in what are presumably her street clothes. It's an hour show, why are we having an in-ring promo? I thought NXT was the gold and black brand, why is everything red here? Piper Niven is a stupid name. I get why she's not Viper any more, but still. She's wearing a tartan bedsheet as a poncho. Storm asks her fellow babyface to step down from a title match, but Niven refuses because you've had your chance, and then the two best friends start fighting each other. Big Daddy and Young David would never have done that. AMERICAN!

Kassius Ohno vs El Ligero. So we've had six Wrestlers in the ring so far on this UK show, one English, one Scottish, one pretending to be Mexican but actually from Hull, two Americans and an Australian. This is less UK based than World of Sport was. And that was called WORLD of Sport. Ohono says he's not going to use strikes any more. Wow, some wrestling! Actual limbwork! Mid match ad break! Why? They don't even show any adverts, just a don't try this at home dealie. Then they come back and Ohno has an elevated Cravate and it would have been nice how he worked his way into the hold. Nigel mentions that Ligero can't follow up his dive because he's still hurt from the jawbreaker earlier in the match. There have been no jawbreakers during the televised portion of this show. Why are they calling the Code Red a Sunset Bomb? Cravate Crossface but his arm falls out of the scissors, so he just rolls and cranks.. and it's over. These two almost certainly have a great one on one match in them. That wasn't it.

The Outliers. Two guys I've never heard of. They're big guys in great shape. Their opponents have not been named, so I'm guessing squash. The big guys are Americans. No wonder I didn't know them. Nigel's accent has gone all transatlantic. Calling Carter 'Carder' and that. "Talking about devastation, there's a Tag!". I suppose tags are devastating now. These guys are definitely Main Roster Ready. They're really boring. And right after I typed that they went right into a chinlock spot. Ashton Smith deserves better than this. And indeed, he gets what he deserves, winning with a small package despite being on the jobber team. So the Outliers are doing a reverse Whipreck gimmick where they look like they're supposed to win but lose instead, or something?

Walter vs Dragunov NO DQ! Why would you not mention that earlier. Hang on, that's not Walter, it's Alexander Wolfe. Desmond's German brother. Only Desmond Wolfe has been deleted. Germany vs Russia is the main event of the UK show. Why are they freeze framing the Kendo stick shots before they land? Censored No DQ is pointless. Is this a WWE call or a BT Sport one? And another mid-match ad break, only this time they don't even show a WWE ident or anything, just fade the screeen to black for a second, and when it comes back they're setting up for an apron spot and there's a table in the corner. Van Terminator with the chair. That gets two. Freeze frame for the German Suplex onto the pile of chairs, but the follow up DDT also onto the pile of chairs is shown in full. That gets two. Throat slam into the chair gets freeze framed. Chair to the belly gets freeze framed. Pillmanizing both hands gets freeze framed. Running Death Valley Driver through the table gets freeze framed. Torpedo Moscow gets three. If only he'd thought of doing a running elbow smash earlier, he wouldn't have had to take all that punishment. Then Eichner and Bartel beat Ilja up while Walter stands there and looks mean, then Joe Coffey clotheslines him and runs off. And that's the show.

Well, that certainly flew past. Didn't feel like an hour. Largely because it was only 42 minutes long. It was alright, but nothing worth ruining an entire country's indie scene for or anything.

It looks like NXT:UK is going to be used as a developmental territory now that NXT proper no longer functions that way. Should be a good thing overall, since most of the UK talent still seems interchangeable to me. Glad to see the Outliers finally debut - would have liked to see Robert Strauss debut with them but god forbid we actually televise any of the Florida loop managers. Dan Matha is also now "Dorian Mak," which I somehow missed. I assume that came after the typical conversation with developmental talent that starts out with "Your name doesn't sound stupid enough."

• Haha 1

So this week's show is no matches just hype for Blackpool takeover, through the medium of interviews and recaps. This is the second show to have aired on this channel. You're recapping things we'e never seen. Were it not that I know these guys from the UK indie circuit, I'd have no idea who any of them were.

Piper Niven definitely isn't winning the Women's title, because she dedicated the match to Lionheart's memory. Talked about how her current career success was always his dream rather than her's, and now he's passed away she's living his dreams for him.

Even though the WWE BT Sport deal is supposed to include PPVs, Takeover Blackpool doesn't appear to be scheduled... certainly not live, anyway. So basically they just aired a sixty minute infomercial for the Network.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:42 PM, Hail Sabin said:

Tyler Bate vs. Noam Dar from this week's episode is Pretty good with some sweet counters. 

Finally caught this last night and dug the hell out of it. Its nice to see Seven and Bate really get the chances to show off with Dunne on regular NXT. I'm finding I like them both a bit more than Dunne to be honest. Also I knew Dar had improved the last couple of years, but those matches with Seven and Bate put over just how much. I like the arrogant creep so much at the moment.