DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

Was at the second night of tapings from Coventry tonight. Do I need to spoiler tag stuff? 

In a question that I don't need to tag: what am I missing with Toni Storm? I just don't get why she's pushed so strongly. 

A pox on anyone that says "Because Vince loves blondes."

4 hours ago, DangerMark said:

In a question that I don't need to tag: what am I missing with Toni Storm? I just don't get why she's pushed so strongly. 

Solid-good wrestler who has natural charisma and personality. She is also the most over women with the NXT UK crowds. If you don't see it, you aren't going to see it since you have already kind of decided you don't care for her. Nothing anyone here is going to say will change your mind. You're not alone with this thought so at least you have some to commiserate with here on the board. I'm not one of them, but there are others.

She's solid, she's definitely over and I don't dislike her but there's definitely a bunch of women who I'd like to see steal her lunch money. Part of it for me is a style thing, but part of it that I'm not always convinced by some of the faces she pulls. 

Spoiler

It could just be that I like what Brian Noble called the Big Boppers, so I'm all aboard the Rhea Ripley vs. Piper Niven match they seemed to be teasing. Ripley grabbed a mic after beating Xia Brookside, said something about being the dominant female wrestler before Piper came out and basically said "Not any more." Piper went on to flatten Killer Kelly. 

Speaking of big boppers, Joe Coffey vs. Trent Seven happened and it was Good. I could watch Coffey walk through chops all night, so your mileage may vary. He did bust out a bunch of things I don't think I've seen in the twenty first century, along with a sweet bow and arrow hold around the ring post. 

In other news, I had to sit down when Zack Gibson called Amir Jordan and Kenny Williams "a pair of divs." His scouse accent creases me up. He's basically a seagull. Some wiseass started singing "He's got his own face on his arse" to the tune of "He's got the whole world," at James Drake during the opener, so obviously he was "Arse-face" by the end of the night. 

Jordan and Williams beat Eichner and Barthel, the latter being my new favourite tag team. It was a flash roll up, of which I approve.

WALTER and Dunne had a contract signing for Mania Weekend. I could have rewrote WALTER's promo in five words: "Peter, I accept your challenge." No violence, which was refreshing. Night one had the Dunne & WALTER vs. Coffey Brothers match. 

Damned if I could tell you what order any of this happened in.

Oh, and both Noam Dar and Mark Andrews were stretchered out during a match. I don't know for sure, but Dar looked properly hurt. He didn't get back to his feet after a reverse 'rana, so I'm guessing a leg problem, but I don't know for sure. I've never seen a referee talk into his shirt mic before so I think it's legit. Andrews, I think got carried out by referees because he was selling his own leg. 

On 2/23/2019 at 6:21 PM, DangerMark said:

Was at the second night of tapings from Coventry tonight. Do I need to spoiler tag stuff? 

There's nothing wrong with having a contrary opinion from the masses, be they in the arena or here on the DVDVR or even on the booking team. "What am I missing" implies that your lack of enthusiasm for Toni Storm is wrong. Relax - there is nothing wrong with disliking a wrestler for petty whims (a backwards baseball cap, shmutz under the eye) let alone substantial stylistic ones (ham-fisted audience pandering, vague & undefined gimmick, default emotion is crying, weak selling for a babyface, shite promos). This, of course, is exacerbated when said wrestler is being shoved down our throats. I can see how it is anticipated that she will appeal to the greatest percentage of people, which a sure ticket to rejection by my disobliging self. Ah well, it does make life interesting, and there still is plenty of room for the other far more festive lady grapplers around (Ripley, Dawn, Kelly, Priestly, Ray, Niven(?)). On more than one occasion as a youth I was threatened with violence for cheering for someone that was unpopular with the crowd and/or booing some overrated fan favorite. Remember what Handsome Dick Manitoba teaches us: I AM RIGHT.

- RAF

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick said:

I'd be pumped if it wasn't taped in front of the axxess dullards

The crowd was awful. I wish it would have been in front of a UK crowd. Even with that crowd, it doesn't change how good the tag match was.

Walter/Ohno was very underwhelming. Maybe it was the dead crowd. Walter looked like a beast, but something seemed off with Ohno. 

I loved Tyler Bate/Jack Gallagher. I liked the look on Gallagher's face afterwards as he was walking up the aisle, as if he didn't expect that out of Bate and was impressed. I want to see Moustache Moutain vs. Gallagher & Gulak.

• Like 2

The crowd wasn't great, but I actually thought they were better for these last 3 matches than they were the rest of the previous shows.

Bate/Gallagher was pretty fun. Loved the ending.

Walter looked good. Ohno less so though still solid. Ohno's matches in NXT tend to always feel just a bit off for me even when going well. I liked the match well enough.

1-2 vs. Grizzled Young Vets was good as expected.

Ohno/WALTER was never going to be as good as it could for a whole slew of factors(bad crowd, time constraints, Ohno's place in the company etc etc). Put them in an EVOLVE, WXW, or Progress ring and it's a different story. That said it had some okay moments and continues to get WALTER over strong. It just wasn't the match we all probably wanted to see.

Gallagher/Bate was a ton of fun and I hope it is just a tease of another encounter down the road because they have great chemistry.

Tag title match was solid, but never really hit the next gear to make it special. 

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, quackhell said:

Gallagher/Bate was a ton of fun and I hope it is just a tease of another encounter down the road because they have great chemistry. 

Do yourselves a favor and watch this match. It's what you would think British wrestling would have morphed into through years.

Gallagher is incredible yet very underrated.

Wasn't all there for Ligero/Connors, but what I saw was solid.

Dug the EU squash.

I like Nina Samuels new gear, but was disappointed we got the same old Samuels with the build up they gave her the last few weeks. I suppose she will just end up one of the first crushed the by the new wave a women in Viper, KLR, & Jazzy.

Ended up enjoying Banks/Devlin which slightly surprising since I don't care for what I've seen from Devlin in WWE.

Webster/Wolfgang was nice.

Williams/Jordan vs. Tyson/Huxley was decent.

I continue to dig them building Jinny.

KLR/Floss was an ok showcase for Kay Lee.

Dunne/WALTER vs. the Coffeys was good and easily the best WALTER has looked yet in NXT UK.

• Like 1

Caught up two weeks last night, Night 2 of the Tapings from Coventry doesn't start until next week. I really like Amir Jordan. The other guy is all right, but I find Jordan really fun. I suppose it's anticipation for the day he grabs a mic and speaks not like the Punjabi accent his outfit suggests, but a West Yorkshire drawl thick enough to stand a spoon in. I really dig the dynamic of Gallus when Joe Coffey is doing all the talking and the other two are just going "yeah, boss" like they're some sort of gangland hard-men, otherwise Wolfy and Mark should keep their mouths shut. Webster, I find a little weird; he's this too-British guy in a British based fed. What's he going to do next, smash a teapot over someone's head? He's perfectly fine as a guy getting beaten up by Wolfgang, so I'm not going to complain too hard. Finally, I'm not sure I would ever get bored of slapping Noam Dar in the face, ever.

The main event tag was good stuff. I'm completely unfamiliar with Walter but I see myself becoming a big fan. Not sure if he'll ever translate over big onto the main roster, but he's certainly a star for the NXTUK brand. 

I need more Jinny and less Candy Floss. KLRs debut was kinda meh for me. Worked the arm and then the finishing sequence. I feel KLR is going to struggle amongst the core NXTUK females if the crowd here tells anything. The roster keeps getting deeper and I cant see her picking up the momentum she needs.

Dug the Storm and Ripley promos, especially how they bled into each other.

I honestly was not paying attention to the first half of Dennis/Ligero. I like what I saw in the second.

Jordan/Williams are a fun combo. I like that one of their segments finally made tv.

The Hunt's squash match was neat. I just wish Wild Boar would take out those black contacts. They just seem kind of dumb and add little to the gimmick.

Ohno/Smith was decent enough. Ohno/Banks should be nice if that is the direction things are heading.

Bate/Drake was good though also a reminder how much Gibson carries the character side of his team.

Anyone seen that interview that professional thug and occasional footballer Joey Barton gave after a few months playing for Marseilles, where's he's absorbed a little bit of the French-talking-in-English accent? Well, Toni Storm has been spending too much time with Zack Gibson or something. I do like Rhea Ripley. Australians should not be allowed to be faces in the UK. 

I love the Wild Boar. Maybe you're right about the contacts, but I'm just glad for the guy, having seen him do his best to terrify twenty little kids at a village on the edge of the Welsh hills. He didn't have the contacts then or the horns. Or for that matter his front teeth.

Amir Jordan talking was everything I hoped it would be. More daffy vignettes like that, please.

James Drake has got his own face on his arse, and I really hope that the Arseface name sticks. Gibson is the character, but Drake is actually a perfectly adequate straight man. Bate and Seven are about one decent shave away from being my favourite thing in wrestling.

• Like 2