DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

On 9/25/2020 at 5:52 AM, AxB said:

Pete Dunne lost a lot of weight. I'm sure he's in great shape now, but he doesn't look like a Pro-Wrestler any more. He dropped a bunch of mass.

Yeah, now that he's in great shape, it's definitely the time to clean bulk back up to that 205 (if he ever was that) with some heavy weight training. Well, I guess he WOULD have had the time to do that in the past 6 months if that's what he wanted, so I guess not?

33 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

If Jinny can get her Title shot while KLR is still nursing the knee Jinny will try to take that knee home with her in her Clutch Bag with the title over her shoulder. 

Maybe Jinny needs to take a page out of Candice LaRae's playbook and wheel something heavy into KRL's knee to make sure  she'll be nursing it for a while and give them an issue at the same time, so Jinny can have the title match she's wanted since the failed attempt at Storm?

17 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yes, Pretty Deadly IS the most handsome tag team in NXT UK history, but the bad news for them is that The Hunt are the runners-up, so does that really FEEL like a big accomplishment?

That made me laugh. There's only like 4 tag teams in NXT-UK (if you don't count the two singles wrestlers team like Mark Andrews & Morgan 'Mods don't have beards' Webster). I suppose Ashton Smith & Oliver Carter would be the only other good looking one. Gallus are hideous.

Really don't get how Pete Dunne breaking two of Noam Dar's fingers before the tournament starts is supposed to make it fair for everyone, but that's what they said. Damn stupid WWE logic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

That made me laugh. There's only like 4 tag teams in NXT-UK (if you don't count the two singles wrestlers team like Mark Andrews & Morgan 'Mods don't have beards' Webster). I suppose Ashton Smith & Oliver Carter would be the only other good looking one. Gallus are hideous.

Gallus, Imperium, Pretty Deadly, the Hunt, Moustache Mountain, Morgan/Andrews, Grizzled Young Vets, & Jordan/Williams. 

So with Imperium in America, that's Gallus, Pretty Deadly, the Hunt, GYVs, and some teams of two singles wrestlers. Exactly what I said. Thanks for the endorsement!

Looks like whatever excitement anyone had for the WWE-UK returning dissipated pretty quickly, eh? Well anyway, this weeks show, the opening match was every three way match ever, Jinny vs Xia Brookside was scrappy (they messed up a monkey flip, tried it again and messed it up again), and Noam Dar vs Alexander Wolfe was REALLY REALLY GOOD.

And they seem to be building to a tag match of Pete Dunne & Ilja Dragunov vs Walter & Wolfe, probably for right before whenever the UK takeover happens. Because when two heels are beating up one babyface, it's not his friend(s) who run out to save him, it's whatever other babyface is feuding with those heels. Vince has nothing to do with this show (probably doesn't even watch it), but somehow it's still booked as if they desperately want to please him.

This weeks episode was good. KLR state of the union went a little differently than I thought, but I was right about Jinny getting into the thick of things.

The rounds match worked out fine, I was kinda apprehensive about two high flying guys in a rounds match, but it was very good! It was hilarious when a poison rana was hit with seconds into the round left and the announcers were sure that would have done it. Yeah, a poison rana gets a 3 count, riiiight!

I also called the next week's tag match. Good to see Pete Dunne in action again, but I just want to say that him not being the wildcard (and Kenny Williams getting the nod) was quite the disappointment. If we get Trent Seven vs Dave Mastiff out of it, I'll be OK.

Saxon Huxley getting a win finally, was a nice thing, but it was only Jack Starz, so it's not such a big deal!

On 10/3/2020 at 4:27 AM, DEAN said:

What's the story on Toni Storm?  She hasn't wrestled since the pandemic kicked in.

This ended up being answered at Takeover 31. I still think she took a row boat across the Atlantic to get back to NXT and it took all this time.

• Like 1

Devlin should be fired like Velveteen and Riddle. Tiny handed git.

So anyway I'm behind, but the A-Kid vs Flash Morgan "still doing a Mod gimmick even though he's got a beard now" Webster was a good match. But they seem to be adding crowd noise to the BT Sport shows (quiet, muted crowd noise, but this is NXT UK. Loud crowds are a part of their pre-history). We can see there isn't a crowd there. The camera operators are not applauding, they are holding cameras. Don't be silly WWE.

• 2 weeks later...

NXT UK time!

Yay, Eddie Dennis is back! Not to bodyshame anyone, but he looks like  late era Giant Baba and Paul Orndorff's athropied arm had a lovechild! There is very little fat on him, however! Oliver Carter is reason why Ben Carter should stay away from this brand, to avoid confusion in the marketplace. Dennis rules! And is quite the shit-stirrer, too!

Oh, so Joe Coffey's suspension seems to be over. And Devlin returns. Wow, it's like they are TRYING to piss people off?! They wouldn't do that on purpose, now would they?

Amalie vs Samuels at least have a bit of an issue for this match. They are giving Samuels more than I ever thought they would, all the while Killer Kelly couldn't BUY a victory when she was around. Life sure isn't fair sometimes (well, ever). Ok, Piper Niven is going to destroy her, so it's another "build her a bit in order to knock her back down again"-deal.

Like many others, looks like Trent Seven spent his down time in the gym. Doing plenty of whatever move it is that makes your pecs sag like that. I don't think I've ever tried that one, but he mastered it, apparently. The point of this match eludes me, because you either eliminate the wild card right off the bat, or take out one of the only names in the whole tourney? Seven with one up seconds left into the round, but Williams recovers with one of his own. This could go either way! Seven wins! What an absolute waste of the wild card. Good match, and I wanted Seven vs Mastiff out of this, so we're good.

I saw the WALTER vs Dragunov from PROGRESS and if that was any indication, then we are in for a treat with the title match next week. With Ilja getting the win in the tag match last week, I don't really like his chances. But if he wins, I wonder if he gets some fresh Pringles to celebrate? Wow, that escalated super quickly! Well, if this beating was any indication, we are in for a war! I don't see the title changing hands on a regular episode, but Ilja could be the one to do it, though!

Decent episode, but loses some of its lustre when watched sober on a Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

A lot of the NXT-UK guys have dropped weight, but being a bodybuilder isn't just about cutting your bf as we can see from some of these specimens.

This is absolutely true and this is why someone like Dennis should have used half of his down time on a bulk and THEN cut back down. He's a smart man, he should be able to figure that out by himself.

It might sound weak, but I'm not sure UK people really had the access to gym equipment to make a bulk really work during lockdown. Many of them probably live in apartments, without a garage to stick a rack in. Gym membership is cheap as chips in the UK (basically you can get nationwide membership at one of the two major no-frills chains for less than £25 a month - and some of them have pretty acceptable setups and strong people training at them as opposed to a Planet Fitness), but good home equipment is not easy to get at the best of times in all honesty. It's been tough for people.

Indeed Dennis looks like a guy who's done too much cardio and calisthenics.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

All the gyms in the UK were closed during lockdown (March to June... but Welsh lockdown wasn't lifted in the same ways as English lockdown). On the other hand, Eddie Dennis used to be a Head Teacher (meaning he was running the whole school, not meaning he just taught heads), so he probably has a house with a garage and could afford weight lifting equipment. Besides which, nobody knew how long the NXT-UK shutdown was going to be. Or even if they'd be back at all. No other UK promotion has done anything, outside of RevPro's empty arena PPVs that died on their arse.

15 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

It might sound weak, but I'm not sure UK people really had the access to gym equipment to make a bulk really work during lockdown. Many of them probably live in apartments, without a garage to stick a rack in. Gym membership is cheap as chips in the UK (basically you can get nationwide membership at one of the two major no-frills chains for less than £25 a month - and some of them have pretty acceptable setups and strong people training at them as opposed to a Planet Fitness), but good home equipment is not easy to get at the best of times in all honesty. It's been tough for people.

Indeed Dennis looks like a guy who's done too much cardio and calisthenics.

Yeah, it must really have sucked if you cannot improvise a heavy workout, somehow. But I mean there are things like high volume hyperthropy workouts with just a shitload of reps and sets with whatever weights you can get your hands on. And then pig-out like there's no tomorrow!

Well, easy for me to say, as I've been able to use the gym at work, which is used by something like five other people besides me, pretty much one person at a time, during the pandemic. So I have been very fortunate and understand there are a ton of people without such luxuries!

9 hours ago, AxB said:

On the other hand, Eddie Dennis used to be a Head Teacher (meaning he was running the whole school, not meaning he just taught heads), so he probably has a house with a garage and could afford weight lifting equipment. 

To be honest if he had a mortgage on a house and garage then I doubt he'd have given up the day job.

He wasn't actually running a whole school technically fwiw.

To Shartnado's point. Whilst technically yes it is possible to get hypertrophy of sets of 30, doing large amounts of such sets on compound movements probably isn't a particularly good idea. From my understanding they taped off calisthenics areas in parks over in Blighty, it really wasn't easy doing anything much. In practice the only people getting serioulsy jacked off that kind of work have a big drug stack. 

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

On 10/26/2020 at 12:06 AM, RunningFromAmerica said:

To be honest if he had a mortgage on a house and garage then I doubt he'd have given up the day job.

He wasn't actually running a whole school technically fwiw.

To Shartnado's point. Whilst technically yes it is possible to get hypertrophy of sets of 30, doing large amounts of such sets on compound movements probably isn't a particularly good idea. From my understanding they taped off calisthenics areas in parks over in Blighty, it really wasn't easy doing anything much. In practice the only people getting serioulsy jacked off that kind of work have a big drug stack. 

This would be good conversation over at the general fitness thread. I was sad that no one wants to talk about workouts with me, so I figured there must be like bodybuilding message boards somewhere. I didn't know where to look, but remembered something about Lars Sullivan posting on one of such. So, I reach out and ask him about it. The fucker gets all weird about it and bans my ass! The nerve of some people! (Ok, that never happened, but I would like some more discussion on that one thread for reals!)