DVDVR Message Board

NJPW THE NEW BEGINNING 2019

Archibald

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Watched last road to show and best part clearly was Taichi randomly kicking Yoshi who was doing guest commentary thing.

Edit: oh and return of Bad Boy was fun as well.

I hope Tama snapping leads to the rest of BC not being able to control him. Maybe it ends up going whereever Chuckie T. constantly snapping and getting DQ'ed was going to lead.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

That is an interesting point. This would also kinda confirm that Best Friends were supposed to betray Chaos before they decided to jump to AEW.

I fully believe they were turning on Chaos. I was thoroughly enjoying "Good Guy" Tama Tonga and wasn't ready for it to end just yet. 

• Like 1

Didn’t Best Friends tag with White quite a bit during his spell in Chaos? That could’ve been a seed. I wonder if they’ll bother replacing the CHAOS mole if that was Trent? Maybe there will be a ref bump tonight and we’ll find out. I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone play the role of SANADA with a bat, and White needs an upper midcard singles lieutenant. (I will forever insist there’s money in a bitter at the world heel run for Goto—not that I expect it.)

Ospreay would make the most sense as the mole now.  He has the forbidden move thing he used at WK to show a vicious side, and he would have a reason to feud with Okada on top of it as a heavyweight.  I could also see Ospreay being a very good heel.

I think the plan for this year is set, and it's going to be pretty good. 

Even before Dave's semi-spoiler that Omega would have won (thus suggesting that the plan was never for Tanahashi to have a long reign) I figured this was the only likely outcome. There's simply too much invested in White to have him drop another fall to--and as such, build a rivalry with--an aging star. They'll do the someone has his number thing eventually, but that person will be nearer his age, making the work back to 50/50 (or so) longer and more arduous. But the match! I really liked it, though it is easier--new beginning and all--to start spinning things forward and speculating. Mostly I like that White's style hasn't gone fully over to the theatricality of heart and bombs, and is instead still focused on relatively sudden counters and direct violence. Okada and Kenny repeat moves enough down the stretch--and their finishers take a bit of setup--that he could scout in match, and he's finally seen enough of Tanahashi to get that same feel. Plus, the HFF to a standing opponent was just too risky.

Of course Ibushi is back(!!!) and Okada will be in the running for the cup, so there are challengers on the way. I'm interested. Did I mention that Ibushi is back? Because he is.

The junior division, I think, looks a little thinner. I understand the anniversary, but I thought Liger had spent his last challenge against KUSHIDA?

Also, Taichi does seem to be teasing on twitter that Suzuki-gun will add a guy.

Figured Jay White would win with the push he's had notably beating Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 13 and now Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. I wanted Tanahashi to have a run with the belt as the aging Ace versus Father Time. Boo.

So working from the bottom:

R3K will challenge LiJ for tag titles. I think everyone saw it coming and it probably makes sense that they'll win those titles back on Anniversary show when last year they lost them on Anniversary show as well. I just hope that they have something figured out for whats next because, while matches are still good, I don't need to see more LiJ/R3K/SZGN matches.

I liked when Tama started hitting everyone and everything with kendo stick. I think he even threw one camera operator from the stage? Either way it looked great.

Ibushi is back and he talks like he wants to stay. I hope he is not working and actually ends up signing with NJPW.

I thought that Taguchi/Ishimori was literally perfect match and is my MOTY at the moment. I liked every single thing about it from start to finish. It probably kills Taguchi as challenger going forward, but nobody expected him to win it ever again either way.

Main event was great as well. I thought that Styles Clash set up was a bit weird, but other that than I loved everything else.

I doubted that White would win due to them going very far with "Rainmaker shock" callbacks, but it did happen after all. I'm still sceptical about "Omega would have retained" story, because everything in this storyline makes sense since White's return.

So, obvious NJ Cup final now is Ibushi/Okada, but last couple of years we got different finals and winner than what looked obvious.

• Like 1

Some of you guys should just watch the fucking match instead of declaring White the NJPW Roman and just bitch he's pushed instead of someone who fucked off because he didn't get ALL the control he wanted.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Some of you guys should just watch the fucking match instead of declaring White the NJPW Roman and just bitch he's pushed instead of someone who fucked off because he didn't get ALL the control he wanted.

Settle down.

No one claimed he's NJPW Roman or bitched that he's pushed instead of Kenny. Don't make up shit that isn't there.

• Like 4

Well, there's also a overall narrative that has existed here with "White is getting overpushed and doesn't deserve it", mixed with at least 2 replies of "bleh, won't bother watching" along with this board having "some" Omega stanning, that I just jumped ahead, apoligies.  But the match was fucking good and you'd be doing yourself a disservice not watching it.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in the line of thinking for White being "the guy" outside of NJPW now being short on marketable American guys in America. I'm happy for him I guess because anyone getting a big moment like this is great, but I am beyond apathetic towards Jay White as an act. It could change over time, but it's just an odd guy to push. I am impressed with how much he's improved in the last year. His match at Wrestlekingdom last year was a pretty tough match to watch on a very good card overall.

EDIT: I realize that White is from New Zealand, so I really meant just outsiders/foreigners.

• Like 1

I think it's some part heartbroken Omega fans, but the larger faction of angry puro twitter I've seen simply don't want a foreign champ. Not so much because they hate White specifically, and more because they're traditionalists in a sense (you might say regressive), and were hoping for a more native/inward focus. There's a pretty substantial gatekeeper faction that were hoping The Elite leaving meant they could "get their company back" from these new bandwagon fans; White winning suggests to them that this foreign focus will continue, and they aren't happy about that. (It's dangerous to represent arguments generally and without direct citation, so I hope I'm being fair.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think he might have mixed up this forum with reddit or twitter that is infested with heart broken Omega fans.

Jesus Christ, man. Why is being an actual fan of a wrestler in the post-kayfabe era akin to vermin? I love Omega, can enjoy White's superior heel act, and still not be in love with this predictable direction. Of course I'll watch but I don't have the same investment I've had in years. At least Ibushi is back! And Tanahashi should not have had a long run though I'm surprised they didn't let him close out the Heisei Era with the belt and now we won't get Okada and Tana in MSG. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jesus Christ, man. Why is being an actual fan of a wrestler in the post-kayfabe era akin to vermin? I love Omega, can enjoy White's superior heel act, and still not be in love with this predictable direction. Of course I'll watch but I don't have the same investment I've had in years. At least Ibushi is back! And Tanahashi should not have had a long run though I'm surprised they didn't let him close out the Heisei Era with the belt and now we won't get Okada and Tana in MSG. 

We were never getting Okada/Tana at MSG.  There's a ZERO percent chance that with the way NJPW has handled this expansion that they were going to run with 2 Japan natives Maining a US show, since they hadn't done it at all to that point.  Had Omega not left, it was more likely to be Omega/NJ Cup winner, or a Tana/Omega rematch, or something with shoehorning Cody in again.  Possibly even Omega/White given that the way it was booked, White was getting a shot sooner rather than later.  

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jesus Christ, man. Why is being an actual fan of a wrestler in the post-kayfabe era akin to vermin? I love Omega, can enjoy White's superior heel act, and still not be in love with this predictable direction. Of course I'll watch but I don't have the same investment I've had in years. At least Ibushi is back! And Tanahashi should not have had a long run though I'm surprised they didn't let him close out the Heisei Era with the belt and now we won't get Okada and tana in MSG. 

EXACTLY THIS. Look, I think Knife Pervert is a fine heel, but I still don't think he's at all ready for this spot. There's also the whole issue that Tanahashi was basically a transitional champ and I'm not even a big Tanahashi fan so it's a weird position to be put in to defend him. In the back of my mind I almost figured White would win the title, but I still hoped for a better result or longer/better build. So now I can only assume the direction is Okada taking the title off of White in MSG while Naito just fucks off? Man, fuck all of that. I'm super conflicted about the booking at the top of the card now, but I do know that I don't want to watch White as the top guy so the sooner he eats a Rainmaker the better.

And none of my feelings towards White have anything to do with Omega so I don't know what one has to do with the other. If anything, I'm more annoyed that Naito gets Taichi, which is like the Rock getting that feud with Billy Gunn. I think Taichi is fine, but again it's one of those things where I don't care about him and think him pursuing the IC title is ludicrous.

Like I said, I'll watch the match if it's good, but it's annoying to have the result unexpectedly spoiled by the first fucking thing I looked at after waking up this morning. I at least still have no idea what else happened on the show so there is that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

We were never getting Okada/Tana at MSG.  There's a ZERO percent chance that with the way NJPW has handled this expansion that they were going to run with 2 Japan natives Maining a US show, since they hadn't done it at all to that point.  Had Omega not left, it was more likely to be Omega/NJ Cup winner, or a Tana/Omega rematch, or something with shoehorning Cody in again.  Possibly even Omega/White given that the way it was booked, White was getting a shot sooner rather than later.  

Why not? The show is already sold out. Who gives a fuck what they put on at the top? There's no need for them to avoid two Japanese wrestlers main eventing the MSG show because people were already going to attend.

It's more likely that Natio is in a holding pattern and gets to Main one of the nights of WK and that's his crowning moment.  Commentary put over hard the "Naito wants to be the first Double Champ" so that's an easy run including the G1 (since Naito won't be in the Cup as IC Champ.)