DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Weekend

Guest Edwin

Just finished watching Barnett/MiSuzuki... Loved every second of it. Not exactly a shoot style match per se, but just two big dudes bringing the hate and hitting each other with some nasty stiff strikes. Some sick elbows and headbutts from both sides. When they announced 5 minutes remaining, it was obvious they were going to go to a time limit draw. That finishing last minute sequence was great. It was the worked equivalent of Korean Zombie/Leonard Garcia I from WEC. Loved MiSuzuki bitting Barnett's arm to get out of the rear naked choke. Great, great match and easily my favorite match from the weekend I've seen this far and my current pick for MOTY. Refreshing seeing proper heavyweights throwdown. And yeah, we need more Josh Barnett in pro-wrestling in 2019. Hope we get a rematch at next years Bloodsport.

Based on the reviews I've seen, not everyone thought as highly of this as I did. Oh well. It was great to me regardless. 

Edited by Edwin

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

I have no idea who Killer Kross is, but he did not look that great against DBS Jr. His grappling was not great and he seemed timid to pack any heat behind anything. DBS Jr. on the other hand did not hold back and was slapping the heck out of Kross. Also you could see him guiding Kross throughout the match during some of the grappling exchanges. Great performance from DBS Jr. Would love to see what he could do against someone like Thatcher.

I have seen few matches with Kross and anyone else feels like he is all "presence" and no substance?

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

I have no idea who Killer Kross is, but he did not look that great against DBS Jr. His grappling was not great and he seemed timid to pack any heat behind anything. DBS Jr. on the other hand did not hold back and was slapping the heck out of Kross. Also you could see him guiding Kross throughout the match during some of the grappling exchanges. Great performance from DBS Jr. Would love to see what he could do against someone like Thatcher.

I have seen few matches with Kross and anyone else feels like he is all "presence" and no substance?

12 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I've only seen his Impact work, but nothing of his ringwork particularly stands out aside from his Saito suplex. I think his character work is phenomenal. The personality traits of psychopathy certainly fit the character.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Guest Edwin

That entire JJSB3 battle royal. Everything that is right and wrong with pro-wrestling. Necro Butcher managing to look even worse than I remember him looking before. Nate Webb and Marko Stunt playing Teenage Dirtbag. MJF wearing an MDK sweater and attacking them through the crowd. Nick Gage shoving hyped fans during his entrance. Arik Cannon bleeding. Sexxxy Eddy doing a moonsault while he's naked. Swoggle. Just too much to keep track of. Easily the craziest thing all weekend.

Am still halfway through... Teddy Hart walks out with a cat in his hand and MJF is already in the ring and HOMICIDE's MUSIC JUST HIT... Homicide spit in Teddy's face. Teddy stiffed him with a European uppercut in return. Homicide flipped him off and Cryme Tyme walked out... 

This is exactly what it was supposed to be.

Edited by Edwin

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

That entire JJSB3 battle royal. Everything that is right and wrong with pro-wrestling. Necro Butcher managing to look even worse than I remember him looking before. Nate Webb and Marko Stunt playing Teenage Dirtbag. MJF wearing an MDK sweater and attacking them through the crowd. Nick Gage shoving hyped fans during his entrance. Arik Cannon bleeding. Sexxxy Eddy doing a moonsault while he's naked. Swoggle. Just too much to keep track of. Easily the craziest thing all weekend.

You got to give it up to something that lives up to the name "The Greatest Clusterfuck"

• Like 3

Was a wonderful experience and while it was hella sloppy at times and Necro fucked up seemingly one spot every 2 or 3 minutes by not following what was going on it was very well laid out but not in the super tidy and overly contrived way the All In match was or a lot of wwe matches of this nature. Chaos. And it was the good kind of chaos. 

I think it says a lot of where I'm at right now with wrestling that I've watched both nights of Janela's shows and still have yet to watch NXT and the MSG show. Feeling pretty disillusioned with the big boys currently. It'll take weeks to sift through all of the stuff from the past 4 days.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Joey needs to book Teddy Hart & Homicide vs. Cryme Tyme for next years JJSB 4 and they need to book Barnett/MiSuzuki II for next years Bloodsport.

They also need to book Hideki Suzuki, Thatcher and DBS Jr. again for next years Bloodsport.

Edit: Necro vs. Dickinson would be wonderful, too.

Edited by Edwin

Suzuki as a corner man seemed like really poor use of his talents. Slow and sometimes plodding mat work generally doesn't translate well to these kind of shows but I really think he's great. 

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Am still halfway through... Teddy Hart walks out with a cat in his hand and MJF is already in the ring and HOMICIDE's MUSIC JUST HIT... Homicide spit in Teddy's face. Teddy stiffed him with a European uppercut in return. Homicide flipped him off and Cryme Tyme walked out... ?

Did Teddy and Homicide just make up? ?

Best moment all WM weekend. 15 star match. GOAT.

I know which show I'm watching later. Maybe I'll watch it at the gym to make the treadmill less tedious.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know which show I'm watching later. Maybe I'll watch it at the gym to make the treadmill less tedious.

Dude, do yourself and watch it. Even nWo Sting is in it.

Guest Edwin

GCW announced during JJSB3 they already had a venue in Tampa for next year.

WWN had announced they had a venue for next year, too.

I am suuuuuper stoked. My wife and I are already planning things ahead for that. Want to attend as many shows possible.

A big take away from this weekend for me: how is Shane Mercer not under contract with any of the big companies? He's thick as hell, chiseled physique, athletic as fuck, and throws little guys around real fun.

47 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

A big take away from this weekend for me: how is Shane Mercer not under contract with any of the big companies? He's thick as hell, chiseled physique, athletic as fuck, and throws little guys around real fun.

He had a cup of coffee with EVOLVE in late 2017-early 2018, so he had to be on Gabe's radar, at least.  I saw one of those matches and Mercer looked good.  Not sure what happened there. 

The end of the Clusterfuck actually made me a little uncomfortable.  At the venue, there was just silence afterwards with guys laid out in the ring (which I think is how they wanted it to end) then the crowd chanted "is it over?" and the announcer had to confirm that it was.

You could spin it like, part of a wrestling story is the heel getting their comeuppance.  If the story in wrestling right now is the women ascending to the top of the card, then the heel is men for keeping them down for so long ("not all men" stuff aside).  GCW was willing to tell that less palatable part of the story where men got what they had coming to them, in a very on-brand, violent way.  It's kind of brilliant.

Well the awkwardness probably came from the fact that nobody knew that it was the actual finish of the show.  As far as I know there was no winner in the Clusterfuck unless you consider WOMEN as the winner of it.  Granted this isn't he kind of audience that would have same reaction that people did when Becky Lynch, Charlotte, and Ronda Rousey was the main event.  But if you watched the videos and followed twitter it made perfect sense.  Also made sense that the Maria Manac would be the starting catalyst of it because reality she could have been fucked up most of the guys in the match at the time.   

As far as the Wrestlecon question, there might be some things that you will see that are good finds like magazines or different kind of photos but most of it is stuff you would see online.  I think the only thing I saw that was interested was AIW had a bin of nothing but sets of wrestling cards.  Also someone had a $5 bin of just old master DVD and VHS stuff like WCW tapes which was kind of cool.  I was hoping someone would sell the Nitro or Death of the Territories book but nope.   Since the WWE cracked down on what these  conventions are selling the picking are slimmer and slimmer.  i remember in the early days when you could get stuff like complete sets of recorded Mid South 1980 like it was nothing

For people that watched bloodsport online, was the opening minute of the Dirty Daddy vs Andy Williams fight was as incredible as it felt live.  Eveyone was completely losing their shit.  One of the top moments I had that weekend. 

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The end of the Clusterfuck actually made me a little uncomfortable.  At the venue, there was just silence afterwards with guys laid out in the ring (which I think is how they wanted it to end) then the crowd chanted "is it over?" and the announcer had to confirm that it was.

You could spin it like, part of a wrestling story is the heel getting their comeuppance.  If the story in wrestling right now is the women ascending to the top of the card, then the heel is men for keeping them down for so long ("not all men" stuff aside).  GCW was willing to tell that less palatable part of the story where men got what they had coming to them, in a very on-brand, violent way.  It's kind of brilliant.

But what do you think of penises putting over vaginas on a show that was billed as a Penis Party???

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

For people that watched bloodsport online, was the opening minute of the Dirty Daddy vs Andy Williams fight was as incredible as it felt live.  Eveyone was completely losing their shit.  One of the top moments I had that weekend. 

It came across that way on Fite pretty well.  That was some wild shit and I could feel the energy from the crowd.  Them all doing "Kazi Ni Nare!" in that setting gave me chills and they were awesome throughout the whole show.

There's still a few shows I need to catch and am hoping to watch them tonight.  But Bloodsport was fucking fantastic and I loved the Penis Party.  It was highly amusing hearing Excalibur and Callis not only do commentary but appear to be into it.  I haven't seen much of Dino but holy fuck if there was ever a need to make the show TV MA it would be for him alone.  There some good matches and the main event was wonderfully wacky.  Would highly recommend it.  Steiner/Swoggle was quite the interesting match and I liked Otani/Kingston.  I know that Eddie had matches with other legends that he was thrilled to do so I'll need to check them out.

I have heard a little about Orange Cassidy and the only match I saw so far was his match against Alvarez.  I'm sure as a wrestler he's good but I fucking hate his gimmick.  I know it's a joke that you're supposed to be in on but I just don't like it.  I am willing to give him another shot though so if there's other stuff from him to check out I'd like to know.

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have heard a little about Orange Cassidy and the only match I saw so far was his match against Alvarez.  I'm sure as a wrestler he's good but I fucking hate his gimmick.  I know it's a joke that you're supposed to be in on but I just don't like it.  I am willing to give him another shot though so if there's other stuff from him to check out I'd like to know.

He does go through the same comedy routine a lot.  However Cassidy vs. David Starr from Beyond 11/25/2018, which is on YouTube, is a legit great match. If you don't like that one, then definitely avoid him at all costs.

Edited by S.K.o.S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

He does go through the same comedy routine a lot.  However Cassidy vs. David Starr from Beyond 11/25/2018, which is on YouTube, is a legit great match. If you don't like that one, then definitely avoid him at all costs.

Thank you kindly, I'll have to check that out.  I want to like it but I encounter a lot of "too cool for school" douchebags a lot as it is (Canton/Fells Point has tons of them on the weekends)  So unless he's getting the crap kicked out of him if the suggested match doesn't do it for me then I'll just pass on his stuff.

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

As far as the Wrestlecon question, there might be some things that you will see that are good finds like magazines or different kind of photos but most of it is stuff you would see online.  I think the only thing I saw that was interested was AIW had a bin of nothing but sets of wrestling cards.  Also someone had a $5 bin of just old master DVD and VHS stuff like WCW tapes which was kind of cool.  I was hoping someone would sell the Nitro or Death of the Territories book but nope.   Since the WWE cracked down on what these  conventions are selling the picking are slimmer and slimmer.  i remember in the early days when you could get stuff like complete sets of recorded Mid South 1980 like it was nothing

Yeah, I went looking for wrestling books and was really disappointed by the findings. In the past I've gotten various Cornette tomes and neat finds like Sid Feder's 1953 Wrestling Book (basically an Eisenhower-era PWI Almanac)... there was none of that to be found.

Last weekend was the first time I saw Saraya Knight at the Orange Cassidy show and I am sure this is probably over dramatic but she really does feel like the female Minoru Suzuki.  not necessarily in the ring although I am sure she is more than capable but damn she is one scary bitch.  At any moment it feels like she can just destroy the entire building.  Really sucked that she was the first elimination in the 4 way match but in terms of the gimmick match it maybe made sense. 

As much as I loved the drunken match against Nate Webb, that Nova Pro Session Moth Martina vs Saraya Knight match that was scheduled seemed like it would incredible to watch

Edited by hammerva

On 4/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair, nobody in MSG wanted to watch Enzo & Cass.

On an unrelated note, I'm currently watching Tony Deppen vs. No Legs from Joey Janela's Spring Break night 1. Deppen's level of heeling is great and No Legs has to be the most sympathetic babyface ever. This would be a good match even if he had legs.

The No Legs match and the lead up to it may be the greatest thing I've ever fucking seen in my life.

LET'S GO NO LEGS

LET'S GO NO LEGS

• Like 2