DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Weekend

Of all the arguments we will have this weekend, hopefully one thing we agree is that Bryce Remsberg is one of the best ref in the business in the world.  His performance at Orange Cassidy show and the Invisible man match was awesome.  Chances are he will be taking part in tonight Clusterfuck match

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Of all the arguments we will have this weekend, hopefully one thing we agree is that Bryce Remsberg is one of the best ref in the business in the world.  His performance at Orange Cassidy show and the Invisible man match was awesome.  Chances are he will be taking part in tonight Clusterfuck match

I can't believe how well he made the Invisible Man/Invisible Stan match work.

• Like 1

I feel bad because I fell asleep during it. I'll go back and scan through the second half later.

I know I pretty much say this every time I see one of his shitfests, but has there ever been a wrestler whose aura and the idea of said wrestler is so great and then the bell rings and you're left wondering how anybody can enjoy this shit as is the case with Nick Gage? The crowd was so hyped for him and he was so hyped. Then he had a below average match with Shinjiro fucking Ohtani that just kind of ended with him cheating as the underdog babyface. Ohtani did what he could and he got the crowd super into his boot scrapes but fuck that shit and fuck flattening Ohtani's career into bootscrapes.

Other than that and Jimmy Lloyd in the main event, it was a blast of a show. First two segments were what Janela does better than anybody else in wrestling though I do feel like he may need to put a pin in the surprise crowd entrant gimmick for a bit.

Guest Edwin

For what its worth, I enjoyed the heck out of Otani/Gresham. Not a MOTYC or anything like that, but a nifty little match kept relatively simple.

From what I've seen from this weekend outside of the WWE system, Gresham maybe the guy I've enjoyed the most.

Guest Edwin

Just watched Otani vs. King and thought it was pretty good, too. Again, no a MOTYC or anything like that, but a solid match with King getting his chance to live one of his dreams and wrestle a Japanese wrestling legend. Sucks we may never see King get a proper tour of Japan.

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

By the way imagine wanting to watch in Enzo & Cass in MSG while LAX and the Rock n Roll Express had one of the sleeper best matches the entire weekend

How Ricky Morton is still this good is beyond me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

By the way imagine wanting to watch in Enzo & Cass in MSG while LAX and the Rock n Roll Express had one of the sleeper best matches the entire weekend

I mentioned in another thread I dont know how to feel about seeing Morton do a Canadian Destroyer. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Watched some stuff from Bloodsport... The commentary wasn't bad, but the commentators obviously don't follow combat sports.

Garrini/Baroni sucked, but that was mostly to Baroni who looked terrible aside from those right hands he landed in the end.

I have no idea who Killer Kross is, but he did not look that great against DBS Jr. His grappling was not great and he seemed timid to pack any heat behind anything. DBS Jr. on the other hand did not hold back and was slapping the heck out of Kross. Also you could see him guiding Kross throughout the match during some of the grappling exchanges. Great performance from DBS Jr. Would love to see what he could do against someone like Thatcher.

I'll put this out there as the commentators seemed unaware, but before turning into a death match wrestler, Takeda fought in several MMA fights in ZST in Japan and he trained at the U-File Camp with where Kiyoshi Tamura and Kyosuke Sasaki trained. He also fought in a micro Japanese indy known as STYLE-E which was a U-Style promotion with a more straight up pro-wrestling style. What a match he had with Gresham. These boys didn't do anything ground breaking grappling wise, but they were packing some heat behind their strikes and Takeda got bloodied up which made this match ideal for those in attendance. That flying armbar was quite neat as was the finishing flurry.

Mir/Severn was really underwhelming. Match went under 5 minutes and didn't really see them do much. I'm still pumped for Mir venturing into pro-wrestling though.

Suzuki/Thatcher what a match! Some gritty nifty ground exchanges and some manly strikes exchanges. None of that weak transition grappling or thigh slap heavy strikers. Just two dudes beating the crap out of each other. A nice slow build leading up to the big throws near the end, too. My favorite non NXT match from the weekend. I think I'm going to have to track down some more Hideki Suzuki matches. I know he's an Inoki guy who worked for IGF, but I haven't seen much from him.

Still have to watch some stuff from EVOLVE, JJSB3 and Barnett/Suzuki, but I don't see anything overtaking Suzuki/Thatcher.

Edited by Edwin

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Greatest Clusterfuck was perfect

Goddamn being in NY/NJ for the weekend and leaving MSG early and missing the finish to Okada vs Jay White but not giving a fuck because as I walked into White Eagle Hall, Rich Paladino was giving the "30 seconds until we are live on FITE TV!" and seeing The Rock N Roll Express - childhood heroes that I had somehow never seen wrestle live - tear it up, L.A. Park and Masato Tanaka lay waste to each other, and the sheer joy and nuttiness of the Greatest Clusterfuck did a lot to wash the bad taste out of my mouth from Ring of Honor ruining what should have been a triumphant night for New Japan Pro Wrestling. 

• Like 5

Upset that Slim J got hurt. Don't know what came across on the broadcast, but the Ugly Ducklings whiffed on catching him on a dive to the outside and he seemed to land right on his butt.

My alcohol levels were such that I actually had a conversation with Teddy Hart before the show about not throwing his cat in the air (happened on the Orange Cassidy show earlier in the day). I don't think I got through to him, lol.

• Haha 2

I made a non fan watch JJSB3 pt 2. He enjoyed LAX/Rock N Roll Express and then had no idea what was going on during the Clusterfuck. I also explained Joey Ryan's Penis Party show to him, he decisively is NOT a fan of Joey Ryan.

I enjoyed Tanaka/Park for what it was. Haven't caught up on much else yet.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Suzuki/Thatcher what a match! Some gritty nifty ground exchanges and some manly strikes exchanges. None of that weak transition grappling or thigh slap heavy strikers. Just two dudes beating the crap out of each other. A nice slow build leading up to the big throws near the end, too. My favorite non NXT match from the weekend. I think I'm going to have to track down some more Hideki Suzuki matches. I know he's an Inoki guy who worked for IGF, but I haven't seen much from him.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. His 2017 run with the BJW Strong Heavyweight Title has a bunch of really terrific matches, including one against Okabayashi that's out of this world.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
58 minutes ago, maciej said:

Oh man, you're in for a treat. His 2017 run with the BJW Strong Heavyweight Title has a bunch of really terrific matches, including one against Okabayashi that's out of this world.

Is this stuff on BJW Core or somewhere I can watch it?

Is there any other of his stuff I need to seek out from elsewhere?

And what is a good time period for his I need to begin watching from?

Thanks btw!

Edited by Edwin

3 hours ago, maciej said:

You meant the Death Match Title, right?

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

And what is a good time period for his I need to begin watching from?

I think 09 was when he started to be a thing in BJW. Its been years, but I recall liking his Death math Title match against Yuko Miyamoto. 

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

@Edwin, have you seen the Clusterfuck yet, brother?

That's the only event I'm watching in full from the WM weekend. I still have that, plus Barnett/MiSuzuki from Bloodsport lined up to watch. Necro Butcher made a return, so I am stoooooooooked.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Blame Diego Costa. ?

Don't get me started.

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

To be fair, nobody in MSG wanted to watch Enzo & Cass.

On an unrelated note, I'm currently watching Tony Deppen vs. No Legs from Joey Janela's Spring Break night 1. Deppen's level of heeling is great and No Legs has to be the most sympathetic babyface ever. This would be a good match even if he had legs.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Guest Edwin

For those of you who attended WrestleCon or have attended WrestleCon in previous years --

Do vendors bring in tables to sell merch that I won't be able to get at any shows?

I'm heading to Tampa next year and will most seek to attend shows, but if there's a gap where there's no shows that interest me, I may head up to WrestleCon, but I don't really want to meet any pro-wrestlers and am just interested in purchasing merch, mostly some shirts.