DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Weekend

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Echo the request of a must-see list rather than combing through everything. 

From the AIW show, I'd recommend seeing Joshua Bishop vs. Dominic Garrini and Shinjiro Otani vs. Eddie Kingston. Bishop/Garrini just because it was crazy at times, despite some odd stuff due to both guys having like five years combined experience, and Kingston/Otani, was just really simple and well put together without going anywhere near overboard, plus ... Otani. 

Everything else isn't necessarily bad, but nothing I'd consider "can't miss" (maybe Steiner vs. Swoggle just for the spectacle of it?). Mance vs. Gage had a decent crowd atmosphere but was essentially a paint-by-numbers Gage match. 

• Like 1

Not much to the US vs the World show this morning... it was more of a showcase for individual performances than actively good matches, with not too much in the way of crowd heat due to the early hour. Best match quality was probably Rascalz vs Team Australia, favorite performances from David Starr and Puma King and his awwwwwwwesome music.

The Black Label Pro show was really fun. Gresham/Irie was a really great main event, Page/Durst was a good plunder match, maybe the best Page match I've seen, whilst Sadkampf vs Tank/Fernandez was a neat fight. Gage/Swoggle was probably the weakest match, and even that had it's moments

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Anyone here see Stardom's show? How was it if so?

The stream was an absolute shit show and the VOD version is also fucked - so no one except the folks in the crowd can really answer that

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The stream was an absolute shit show and the VOD version is also fucked - so no one except the folks in the crowd can really answer that

That is a shame to hear. I see positive responses on the reddit board, but was hoping hear from people here. Does make me kind of glad I didn't stream it.

Edited by Eivion

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

That is a shame to hear. I see positive responses on the reddit board, but was hoping hear from people here. Does make me kind of glad I didn't stream it.

Kevin said he is assuming that Stardom taped the show on their own so that version will eventually come out

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Kevin said he is assuming that Stardom taped the show on their own so that version will eventually come out

Oh they did for sure. They tape everything. Its just that it won't be on the site for a few weeks according Sonny. I assume its because of Fite and Samurai.

7 hours ago, Rick said:

Echo the request of a must-see list rather than combing through everything. 

From what I'm hearing Ospreay/Bandido was the best match on Thursday. Meltz was raving about it.

I'm at the point of my fandom that Orange Cassidy is exactly the kind of light-hearted goofiness that I crave on a wrestling show. 

Damn GCW running Spring Break at the same time as Takeover

Just watched and it was good but not great imo. It's every good but not great indie match in front of a crowd like this. They don't want to burn themselves out and they're probably tired as is, so there was one point in the second act of the match where Ospreay literally yelled at them to get going. "This is the main event of the fuckin' supercon show, let's go!" Not in a gross way but he was trying to rile them up. They got into it by the end but it wasn't must see in my opinion and I really enjoy both of them.

Both the crowd and I were more into Orange Cassidy. I'm so happy if he's the guy that gets a lot of buzz coming out of this week. I want to check out ZSJ/Strickland (kind of) and Cavernario/Dragon Lee (more so) but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep so I'm going to take a break for a bit.

SHIMMER this morning was a very solid show, with good matches all up and down the card. Maybe nothing like a match of the weekend contender on it, but lots of high quality wrestling and a great crowd. Su Yung vs. Shazza McKenzie was probably my fav, but the Twisted Sisters vs. Mercedes/Melissa tag, and the Samantha Eagles vs. Dust main event were all quite good.

WWN Supershow wasn't super well attended (I'm assuming Stardom ate up a bunch of that crowd), but still a fun show (though some people in the smaller crowd were 100% percent more annoying than anyone at SHIMMER or DDT). If you like big dudes chopping the hell out of each other to the point of noticeable chest discoloration (and I know you do), Kazusada Higuchi vs. JD Drake is absolutely a must see. Skulk vs. Damnation six man was also predictably very fun.

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Gresham/Irie was a really great main event

This.

Fun sub 10 minute indy sprint which feels quite refreshing.

I almost forgot I had a lot of Google Play gift cards from Christmas (I asked for it from a couple people due to lack of knowing what else to ask for)  So I luckily was able to buy both show packages for $60 and my wallet thanks me.  As much as I'd love to see the shows live at this point I'm gearing up for a couple days of Fite TV awesomeness.

I saw the first two fights of Bloodsport and absolutely love it.  Can't wait to see the rest and will keep this thread in mind when checking the other shows.  I'm oddly curious about Joey Ryan's show so hopefully that was as wild as I expected.

• Like 2

The first night of Janela Spring Break was really awesome live although it was so packed I probably missed more than saw. Highlights to me was the return of Marko Stunt and Joey Janela from terrible leg injuries in a great opening match and the debut of Dustin Thomas against Tony Deppen.  What makes Dustin so amazing is that he has no legs and it isn't going to stop him.  I mean the idea of a no legend man doing a springboard  450 is incredible

The Blackcraft show from last night seems to have been a legendary disaster. They had a 3 hour window from midnight to 3 am (there's a curfew), but started 25 minutes late. Led off the show with a crucifixion that took 10 minutes. 1st match had chains for ropes so they had to take time to swap those out afterwards. The second match started at 1 am - a 5-team tag gauntlet that got changed to a tornado tag due to time, BUT all five teams still got full entrances with videos and music.  I tapped out and left after the third match, but apparently the last 3 matches took a total of 15 minutes and some were just guys immediately hitting finishers and scoring falls. Heard the show finished at 2:50 and they were yelling at fans for not clearing out immediately. Lol.

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

The first four matches on the AIW show were as good a four match run as any show I have ever been to. Last four, not so much

This is on point. I think I was in the same boat as you, it was my 4th show of the day. Was thinking before the main event "if this goes 5 minutes I won't complain". Then we got a kickout after a piledriver on chairs.

Garrini-Bishop was choice though.