DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Weekend

Guest Edwin
58 minutes ago, madsplash said:

Joey started that spot when he was in Japan for DDT.

So apparently he was doing something right beforehand. 

Which is what exactly...?

He got over in TNA from the gutcheck challenge angle. I mean, they squandered it and it died before the payoff match, but it was popular at one point. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:14 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Fair warning: I have no idea how good of seats you have, but 60 on the ground so feel like 40 in the upper deck.

Was at the last Mania held there and can confirm this.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Penis Party is the show of the weekend, don't @ me

D3MRP_1UEAA9Ln9.jpg

I just saw this and rushed to get one of the last 4 tickets! (That number is NOT a joke btw).

4 hours ago, The Z said:

And Sexxxy Eddie did that exact same spot that made Joey Ryan famous years before him. I wonder, if he ever gave him credit for that.

Well Joey booked him on his show...

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just saw this and rushed to get one of the last 4 tickets! (That number is NOT a joke btw).

Reminds me of the ECW show in White Plains I caught with @Rev Ray back in 1999 (with the Awesome/Tanaka title change). We got the tickets the morning of the show and I'm convinced they were the last two seats on sale because we were in the last row of the building at the very end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

D3QJih-U4AAIdKl.jpg:large

Stardom has booked a pretty big match for their New York show, their Ace Momo vs their "super rookie" Utami. 

Its interesting. I kind of wondered if they might do the match here, but at the same time its one of those I figured they preferred doing in Japan. Can't help but guess they went forward since the other important shows for this month involve the draft and Cinderella tournament, and they needed it done before either with whatever changes are likely on the horizon. 

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its interesting. I kind of wondered if they might do the match here, but at the same time its one of those I figured they preferred doing in Japan. Can't help but guess they went forward since the other important shows for this month involve the draft and Cinderella tournament, and they needed it done before either with whatever changes are likely on the horizon. 

I'm somewhat expecting a time limit draw.  Seems like "easy out" booking for a match like this.

8 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I'm somewhat expecting a time limit draw.  Seems like "easy out" booking for a match like this.

I'd be surprised if they went that route. Draws aren't looked at the best outside of Japan, and Utami hasn't really had a match that went the distance before. I think such a thing would be beyond her abilities right now though if they went for a 20 minute version I can see them stretch things out just enough. Really though I think Utami loses. I'm just a little surprised it was booked because even with my suspicions there were implications none of the big titles would be defended on this show originally a few weeks back.

Edited by Eivion

6 minutes ago, maciej said:

I don't think I could have possibly been more satisfied with that live DDT experience.

Ye gods, yes. Just a ridiculously great show from start to finish... it breezed by in like 2:15, yet it felt like a 4-hour epic supercard in the best way possible. Higuchi is puroresu as fuck... 15 years ago @DEAN would have had him #1 on the 500 for life.

2 hours ago, John Austin said:

Watched the independentwrestling.tv show.  I saw him hyped up a lot on social media, but by god Orange Cassidy stunk, didn't live up to expectations, was just boring.  

I was there and that match was absolutely fucking amazing and Orange Cassidy is awesome. Crowd absolutely loved that match and he ended up selling a bunch of shirts at the merch table afterwards. As for the show: when you have TWO matches with fans throwing money in the ring (Cavernario-Dragon Lee and Osprey-Bandito) you know it was awesome. 

• Like 1

Impact's United We Stand was pretty good overall. Liked the 8 man tag and Tessa looked great. Main event was fun while it lasted but disappointingly short and seemed to end out of nowhere.

Full United We Stand results for anyone interested:

*Preshow Match: KM & Fallah Bahh def. Jos A & Jos B and The Heavenly Bodies (Desirable Dustin & Gigolo Justin) to win the WrestlePro tag team titles

*Johnny Impact def. Jake Crist, Pat Buck, Ace Austin, & Dante Fox (14:09) in an Ultimate X match to earn an X Division Championship shot at any time.

*Backstage, Moose & Eddie Edwards argued about teaming together on Team Impact. Brian Cage came in and said they need to be on the same page as they are down 3 to 4 in the match. Eddie said he had it handled and Moose said he better not be talking about his kendo stick Kenny.

*Team Lucha Underground (Marty the Moth Martinez, Aerostar, Drago, & Daga) def. Team Impact Wrestling (Brian Cage, Eddie Edwards, Moose, & Tommy Dreamer) (10:24) when Marty pinned Dreamer with a double underhook DDT after Moose turned on his team and speared Cage.

*Taya Valkyrie(c) def. Rosemary, Jordynne Grace, & Katie Forbes (9:03) to retain the knockouts championship via stealing the pin on Forbes after Jordynne had hit the Grace Driver. Su Yung interfered and brawled to the back with Rosemary.

*LAX (Ortiz & Santana w/ Konnan) def. Promociones Dorado (Low Ki & Ricky Martinez) (12:41) when Ortiz pinned Martinez after a death valley driver.

*Tessa Blanchard def. Joey Ryan (10:50) after the Magnum

*Rich Swann(c) def. Flamita (7:49) with the Phoenix Splash to retain the X Division Championship

*Sami Callihan def. Jimmy Havoc (14:03) in a Monster's Ball Match after the Piledriver on legos

*The Lucha Bros. (Pentagon Jr. & Fenix) def. Rob Van Dam & Sabu (w/ Super Genie) (8:09) when Pentagon pinned Sabu after the Fear Factor

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Impact's United We Stand was pretty good overall. Liked the 8 man tag and Tessa looked great. Main event was fun while it lasted but disappointingly short and seemed to end out of nowhere.

It was such a fun show. Tessa vs. Joey Ryan and Sami Callihan vs. Jimmy Havoc were my matches of the night. Swann vs. Flamita was really good. I was slightly disappointed we didn't get the hoss six man match that Jacob Fatu was advertised for and no Jack Evans or Kotto Brazil in the Ultimate X match. My best guess why the main event was so short was time constraints. Sabu didn't look particularly good, but that's too be expected when you're 54 and have worked the style he's worked for as long as he has.

I caved and got my picture taken with Rosemary and Tessa Blanchard. Tessa couldn't have been any nicer. She was an absolute sweetheart.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Suzuki vs Barnett was indeed incredible.

Someone who is staying on top of shows should put together a "must watch" list for us working stiffs. 

I very much would love a best-of list though I feel like a lazy fuck wanting that (not saying you are, just how I feel)  But I'm going to check out reviews and see what's worth watching.

• Like 1

Yeah - I'm using VOW as my guide as that site usually is reasonable. Csonka is usually good though probably more critical than some. 

I just started a full-time teaching gig at a high school (English as a Second Language and, nope, teaching Lit in college does not train you for this) so I'm asleep by the time some of these shows are even starting. 

I've heard really good things about the DDT show. 

Echo the request of a must-see list rather than combing through everything. 

From what I'm hearing Ospreay/Bandido was the best match on Thursday. Meltz was raving about it.

I'm at the point of my fandom that Orange Cassidy is exactly the kind of light-hearted goofiness that I crave on a wrestling show. 

Damn GCW running Spring Break at the same time as Takeover