DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Weekend

On 3/13/2019 at 10:12 PM, hammerva said:

Seems right that the show with the creepiest name would have the most insane creepy match of the weekend

D1kVnSjU0AEKiFV.jpg

Martina's presence alone might get me to go into NYC on that Friday when I know there's also gonna be TakeOver traffic coming back into Jersey as well.

Edited by Raziel

Gabe just announced a bunch of matches on Twitter.

Evolve:
- Eddie Kingston & Joe Gacy vs. Konosuke Takeshita & MAO
- Darby Allin vs Anthony Henry
- Harlem Bravado vs Adrian Jaoude
- Curt Stallion vs Kazusada Higuchi
- Montez Ford vs. Shane Strickland
- Austin Theory vs Kyle O'Reilly

Supershow:
- AR Fox, Leon Ruff & Adrian Alanis vs. Daisuke Sasaki, Tetsuya Endo & Soma Takao
- Eddie Kingston, Joe Gacy & Shane Strickland vs. Team wXw (tbd)
- JD Drake vs. Kazusada Higuchi
- Austin Theory & Brandi Lauren vs. Darby Allin & Priscilla Kelly

Skulk vs. Damnation & Drake vs. Higuchi make me very happy about having tickets for that WWN show (as does not having a big Theory singles match as the main, tbh).

Guest Edwin

EVOLVE should have booked HARASHIMA for their event and for the Mercury Rising SuperShow.

Aside from the GCW Bloodsport card, is anyone else booking Thatcher for WM weekend? I didn't see him on the wXw flyer and I haven't seen him booked for the EVOLVE shows either which are a shame.

Heck, someone should book HARASHIMA vs. Timothy Thatcher during WM weekend.

So, for Mania weekend I went for United We Stand, Pancakes & Piledrivers, and the ROH/New Japan Supercard.

I really had no reason not to do United We Stand. It's a half hour from where I live and it should be a fun card. All that was left were GA seats, but it's not like it's a big arena where I won't be able to see. I'm excited for that weekend. As for Wrestlemania, I'll cherry pick the matches I want to see. I can't sit through that whole thing.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Impact just added LAX vs Low Ki & Ricky Martinez to United We Stand

55443519_10156606195036026_4467440211806

I like it. It's almost the Rottweilers  vs. LAX, with Low Ki and almost Ricky Reyes. A Homicide appearance would be pretty sweet for the possibility of a Cop Killa/Warrior's Way combo.

• Like 2

I just recently discovered that my closest friend went to college with Lady Bearica, and I saw them in a play 10 years ago. 

The Gay Young Classic is the only broadcast I want to see Wrestlemania weekend. And outside of Instagram stories, I don't think I can.

Edited by Ace

16 minutes ago, Ace said:

I just recently discovered that my closest friend went to college with Lady Bearica, and I saw them in a play 10 years ago. 

The Gay Young Classic is the only broadcast I want to see Wrestlemania weekend. And outside of Instagram stories, I don't think I can.

Yeah, and it's mainly due to it having licensed music.  Somebody did ask if they would release it later with it dubbed over but haven't seen a response yet.  I just feel there's a missed opportunity by not eventually putting it out there.

18 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

If it's a lip sync battle drag show (which if I am not mistaken is what this is and NOT an actual wrestling show), is there really any point in circulating video with overdubbed music?

That I didn't know about.  Well, in that case as fun as it sounds if I don't go to it then I'm good.

Gotta say, especially after that announcement, this is the weakest Wrestlemania week lineup since all the indie companies started leeching off of mania. Not exactly hyped for anything. 

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Gotta say, especially after that announcement, this is the weakest Wrestlemania week lineup since all the indie companies started leeching off of mania. Not exactly hyped for anything. 

I am not joining the "there's too many shows and almost all of them deserve to fail" bandwagon like other people are, but a side effect of so many shows I haven't seen referenced much is that with a smaller set of shows, there was more pressure - and availability - to deliver multiple dream matches on each show. But this year, the dream matches that are out there are super spread out, with some shows having one indy dream match and a whole card of "these are guys in town that are available at this specific time".

Yeah, that's certainly true. I think it also shows just how much talent has been signed up by WWE, ROH, NJPW, and AEW. There are still super talents on the indies but they are way rarer than even just last year.  I'll get the Janela shows and maybe the Orange Cassidy (featuring Teddy Hart's Reading Rainbow, for which I cannot wait). I do not enjoy EVOLVE's roster outside of Darby Allin and maybe one or two other guys. I seriously can't stand Drake and Henry and now they're central figures for the promotion, so no thanks to that. Bloodsport was a cool idea initially but, much like the WXW worked shoot shows, the matches are short messes with guys not able to blend the two styles together all that well with few exceptions. Hideki Suzuki vs. Thatcher could be phenomenal if given time though, so maybe I guess? DDT's card should be fun (MAKI ITO SINGLES MATCH!). WXW's show features the Work Horsemen vs. Aussie Open in a drive me mother fucking crazy match and they haven't really announced anything enticing. MLW's taping looks like it could have some great stuff on it but we won't see the matches for a while. Are they doing a live airing of any of the matches like they did with that horrific show a month ago or so with the title changes? The supercon show has some great stuff even without Pac. AIW features Ohtani vs. Eddie Kingston and Scott Steiner vs. Swoggle. So after looking through the cards, there's obvious quality to be found, but it's not quite at the level of the past three years.

The other thing to temper expectations is crowd burnout. It was really bad last year and it'll be just as bad this year if not worse because the number of shows. The wrestlers also tend to pace themselves because most are working several matches a day for three or four days in a row. 

Edited by Oyaji

The argument that people seems to make now is that there are way too many show because there isn't enough talent for these show.  To me that is complete bullshit. I mean if you are using the garbage "if Meltzer or the Young Bucks doesn't know you, you don't count" idea then sure you win.    If not then you could probably make another 2 shows this weekend off of talent from the south, mid-atlantic, and west that are either on only 1 show or not at all.  The problem is that these companies are trying to get as many 1 and done fans to their event that they book the same talent all the time.  That is why MJF, Ethan Page, Orange Cassidy, and of course Sami and his friends are going to be on at least 6 shows or greater.    Instead of being original and giving your local talent a chance to shine .  Right now the only companies that are doing it right are the international companies like DDT and WXW and kind of Stardom although they booked Session Moth Martina who will probably be on 15 shows this weekend

What really doesn't make sense to me is of all the companies that are getting dunked on, AIW is getting absolutely killed because of it.   Granted they do have the usual suspects but at least they are regulars there.  Guys like Steiner, Swoggle, and Ethan Page are regulars there.  So it makes sense.  I can think of 3 or 4 promotions that are worse than AIW right

Of course I say all of this being a complete hypocrite because I decided on not going to the DDT show and instead going to Wrestlecon Supershow. on Thursday

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Right now the only companies that are doing it right are the international companies like DDT and WXW and kind of Stardom although they booked Session Moth Martina who will probably be on 15 shows this weekend

How often does Martina work the US? If not often then I'm pretty sure that is Martina taking advantage of Stardom booking for their show.

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well this sucks for people planning on going to the Wrestlecon shows from their Twitter

D2WJBgmWwAAWED_.jpg:large

The Revolution Pro ticket I got just lost some steam

That sucks. No Pac vs. Rich Swann at Pancakes & Piledrivers.