DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Lemme correct myself a little: Sorry To Bother You was still probably the best film last year, but Suspiria gobsmacked me last night (and fittingly, during a downpour). It was so incredibly different and took so many left turns, while still having many nods to the original. It was like hearing a new band in a musical subgenre you thought was pretty well dead or hadn't seen anything really, really good from in a long time. And I don't mean horror, I guess I mean Argento?

What we really need is an interview with Daria Nicolodi asking her what she thought of it. 

• Like 1

Wife and I started watching Suspiria last night and made it about 20 minutes into it before we both started to nod off. 

It was a work all day tired thing, not the movie. 

My question is was there subtitles for the German dialog at the beginning? 

My German is a bit rusty after 30 years and I was having a tough time making it out. 

I watched it with subtitles through the whole thing. Been doing that a lot in my old age with my shot ears from years of shows, band practices, blasting music, playing guitar. Besides, you get to figure out stuff you didn't understand on first watch, and sometimes reading the dialogue to something just makes it funnier.

Wound up renting the Suspiria DVD from RedBox, German subs were automatic.

If you're going to remake/remodel a treasured IP, then this is the way to go.

The film was the antithesis of the original which worked in its favor.

The score by Thom Yorke was spot on for the visual style. 

Pretty much all I can say is "Tilda Swinton!".

I hope the film was successful enough that they can get to the rest of the Mothers.

• Like 1

Raw (2016) is a French/Belgian movie about a young woman from a vegetarian family, who gets into Vet(erinarian) school. But after the odd opening scene of someone attempting suicide to cause a car crash, it initially seems like it's going to be a movie about the perils of hazing in educational establishments (and how going clubbing with a headache is a really bad idea). It's not. Not much I can say outside of spoilers, other than it's good if you don't mind subtitles (or speak perfect French), and you can kind of tell it was written and directed by a woman, because even though there's quite a bit of nudity, it's not filmed in the leering way that most movies film the naked ladies.. It's French title is Grave which is means 'Serious in a bad way'.

Spoiler

So as part of the hazing ritual everyone is required to eat a raw rabbit's kidney, which our hero refuses to do due to vegetarianism, until her crazy sister more or less forces her to. And that's the trigger for the movie to start getting weird, because she gets meat cravings. For, as it turns out, living human flesh. It gets very sexual at some points. But all the gore and the blood and the meat, that didn't disturb me at all. The scenes where she's itching and scratching got me a bit, but the vomiting scenes almost had me sympathy puking. Especially the one where she vomits up loads of hair, because it just goes on and on for ages.

The final reveal of the movie reminds me of Parents (1989), because it makes it clear that it was all the parents fault, and really they shouldn't have put their kid into this situation without informing them. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I'd completely forgotten about it and had to look it up to remember I rented it when it came out. Vicious film. The French sure do know how to push buttons. 

Inside (À l’intérieu) is one of the few horror / thriller movies to really get under my skin.  The Woman may be the cinematic insane killer that has frightened me the most.  Her psychosis and what it drives her to do are truly terrifying to behold.

Martyr(s), Sheitan, In My Skin, Calvaire, High Tension, and Trouble Every Day are either gory, unnerving, or both but few French Horror / New Brutality movies have the right mix of scare, violence, and suspense that Inside does.

My vote for best French Horror movie ever would probably go to Diabolique, Sombre, Eyes Without A Face, or Possession.

Harry Kumel's Daughters of Darkness (1971) is the best lesbian vampire movie that no one has ever heard off.  It won't make you forget campy Hammer classics like The Vampire Lovers or Lust For A Vampire, but it is still a pretty stylish and really good vampire joint.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Await Further Instructions (2018) 

I tried to wait until this movie got to FiOS On Demand or Xfinity On Demand, but I never saw it in the queues.  Looks like I will have to buy a copy from Amazon since I let my Shudder subscription lapse in favor of CBS All Access so that I can watch Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone reboot.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Await Further Instructions (2018) 

I tried to wait until this movie got to FiOS On Demand or Xfinity On Demand, but I never saw it in the queues.  Looks like I will have to buy a copy from Amazon since I let my Shudder subscription lapse in favor of CBS All Access so that I can watch Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone reboot.

It's been on Netflix for about a month or so.

• Like 1

I'm trying to read that book but can't really get into it.  But god damn do I hate when trailers obviously frankenstein dialogue together.  So many obvious edits in those voiceovers.  I did better edits than that cutting magnetic tape back in the day. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

NOS4A2

That screen cap can just fuck right off

So the Zachary Quinto vampire joint is based on the badass Joe Hill book!  I'm all in!

Edited by J.T.