DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7
On 3/5/2019 at 4:30 PM, RIPPA said:

Midsommar

Ari Aster's next movie

It also might be the brightest horror movie I have ever seen

This looks really good, but if a friend asked you to go to a festival that occurs every 90 years it is the reddest of the red flags. You almost deserve whatever happens. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Collette gets a lot of hype for it and deservedly so, but I think Alex Wolff deserves a ton of praise too. He doesn't get as many big scene hogging moments but his portrayal of a teenager slowly destroyed by guilt and neglect is understated in the best ways and totally brilliant.

It's funny.  Most people I talk to hate his performance because they hate his character, but the hallmark of a good acting job (whether it be the movies or pro wrestling) is that the actor gets you to dislike the person he is portraying either by his action or inaction.

The fact that you really want to shake the living shit out of Peter for being a typically stupid and dense teen dude is proof that Alex Wolff is doing a great fucking job.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Us has 100% on RT right now,  everything I've read on Twitter so far looks like it's getting high praise. 

As you said about Captain Marvel, it's still early yet and there are about 40 reviews in.  I expected all of the early reviews to be positive, so we'll see what the reviews look like a day before release.

I have no doubt that Us will be a movie review darling and that Peele will probably earn himself another Best Director / Best Original Screenplay nom at the Oscars.  I'm expecting good things from this movie.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

As you said about Captain Marvel, it's still early yet and there are about 40 reviews in.  I expected all of the early reviews to be positive, so we'll see what the reviews look like a day before release.

I have no doubt that Us will be a movie review darling and that Peele will probably earn himself another Best Director / Best Original Screenplay nom at the Oscars.  I'm expecting good things from this movie.

I'm expecting big things.  The thing about the reviews so far and the Twitter reactions is that they've been glowing so that bodes well but we'll see..  I was all in from the first trailer.  I love the haunting remix of Luniz "I Got 5 on It"  ... so great.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm expecting big things.  The thing about the reviews so far and the Twitter reactions is that they've been glowing so that bodes well but we'll see..  I was all in from the first trailer.  I love the haunting remix of Luniz "I Got 5 on It"  ... so great.

Yeah, I was also 100% sold after Trailer One.  Now that both Us, Jordan Peele's Candyman reimage, and Ma are on the horizon, I am not sure if I am looking forward to or dreading the pending flood of African American horror movies.  

It's something I've wanted to see for a long time but I fear that if these movies are extremely successful, Hollywood will do them to death not terribly unlike the current deluge of superhero movies that we've got going on thanks to the MCU / DCU.

I will be good if they make a really good Blacula movie that is not called Blacula.  Prince Mamualde deserves a better story.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I will be good if they make a really good Blacula movie that is not called Blacula.  Prince Mamualde deserves a better story.

That would be awesome.  One of my favorite movies growing up was Tales from the Hood.  It's a great little anthology.  I like the soundtrack too.  I heard there is a sequel but I've been told it's not great. 

I haven't seen any straight-up spoilers, but reviews from the Pet Sematary remake, which screened at SXSW, suggest it's actually extremely different from the original, and very good (contrary to the trailer that made it seem like they were wimping out).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I haven't seen any straight-up spoilers, but reviews from the Pet Sematary remake, which screened at SXSW, suggest it's actually extremely different from the original, and very good (contrary to the trailer that made it seem like they were wimping out).

The short reviews posted to the #PetSematary Twitter feed about the movie are extremely positive and it's now sitting at 86% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.

It went from my Meh list to my Must See In Theaters list.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of SXSW screenings

It has been confirmed that The Curse of La Llorona is part of the Conjuring universe

These are the times when I hate the MCU for pretty much creating the new trend to encapsulate franchises in "extended universes."

And yeah, my daughter and I noticed from the trailer that Father Perez (the priest that tries to exorcise the evil spirit from Annabelle in the first Annabelle spin-off movie) is a character La Llorona.

Edited by J.T.

My friend's oldest daughter goes to VCU and is a Psychology major.   I convinced her to do a paper on the perils and consequences of unresolved grief and use Pet Sematary 2019 and Hereditary as fictional case studies.

It is cool but slightly depressing to be referred to is Uncle Jay.

Edited by J.T.

The latest trailer I saw for Pet Semetary looked pretty good but I couldn't help but think "how the hell will they live up to Fred Gwynne?"  It's near impossible.  

I'm happy to hear they've gone a different route with it because I'd prefer a new take,  the 80's version is top notch.  

• Like 1

Aw hell, before I eat and crash out tonight, here's more horror from the other thread

Note: this is not House III. But it if you don't see Lance Henriksen's face and want to watch something I question your sanity. 

Ever seen Matinee? Think of that as a slasher and here you go. Tons of fun. 

And I have to ask, this just got re-released by Severin and I haven't seen it before. Is it as incredibly awful/great as it looks?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The latest trailer I saw for Pet Semetary looked pretty good but I couldn't help but think "how the hell will they live up to Fred Gwynne?"  

Short answer is, "They won't," so I am not going in with the expectation that Gwynne's performance will be outshined although I am sure Lithgow will do just fine.

• Like 1

I promised my kid I wouldn't watch Us without her, so I won't be able to get a skeleton review up until after next weekend.

I am avoiding all reviews and discussions like the plague until I get to see the movie for myself.

Lupita Nyong'o was on Colbert last night sporting some freaky contact lenses. She said she went to the head during the Us premier, stepped out of a stall and scared the living shit out of a lady in there who really did not expect her to show up in the flesh all of the sudden haha

Oh, and of course the lady promptly calmed down and asked for a selfie.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched the new Suspiria (why call it anything else?).

I'll be happy for those smelling salts anytime. 

There wasn't a better film last year. 

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that the new Suspiria was on point.