DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Just watched The Prophecy for the first time since... hmmm... I watched it in the theater, maybe? Even though it's been on TV forever? Anyway, quite the cast (I forgot that Viggo Mortensen pre-LOTR and Amanda Plummer as a zombie were even in it). The Battle of Chosin bit was interesting and makes me wonder if there was any actual cannibalism that occurred there due to the conditions and lack of food. If anyone's seen them, how bad are the sequels? 

I noticed this morning that Xfinity's Tubi app has The Bird With The Crystal Plumage in the Cult Classics queue.

If I rage quit from playing Borderlands 3 or Destiny 2 tonight, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the evening.

I really should watch Under The Shadow as well while its still on Netflix.

Yesterday was Maren Jensen's birthday.   While I was lost in the throes of my Battlestar Galactica crush, I totally slept on the fact that she co-starred in Wes Craven's by all accounts godawful Deadly Blessing.  

I remember the story being kinda blah and that Wes Craven totally carried that shoestring plot over the finish line.  One of these days I may be tempted to track it down for the sake of nostalgia, but I feel that watching it will be more like pulling at old stitches than it will be reeling in the years.

Urban legend holds that Wes had a soft spot for this movie even though it was savaged by critics.  He cared for it so much that he refit the bathtub scene from Deadly Blessing and put it into A Nightmare On Elm Street as a callback.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Only time I ever saw Deadly Blessing was on Monstervision once and they still cut the best scene (NSFW for gore)

Reveal hidden contents

KvmR.gif

That's Deadly Friend, man, not Deadly Blessing.

Goddammit. Yeah, I've never seen that one. But hey they are both Craven flicks! 

The only thing I remembered about that one just skimming the Wiki was it had religious nuts, Sharon Stone, Ernest Borgnine, and something involving a spider

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched The Prophecy for the first time since... hmmm... I watched it in the theater, maybe? Even though it's been on TV forever? Anyway, quite the cast (I forgot that Viggo Mortensen pre-LOTR and Amanda Plummer as a zombie were even in it). The Battle of Chosin bit was interesting and makes me wonder if there was any actual cannibalism that occurred there due to the conditions and lack of food. If anyone's seen them, how bad are the sequels? 

Actually, not that bad. You can feel the budget getting tighter as they get more ambitious though. But from what I remember, they're OK. The first one is the best though.

They just did a How We Made... for Nightmare on Elm Street in the paper today. The trick was, the bathtub was eight feet deep with a scuba diver wearing the glove underneath Heather Langenkamp. Freddy's unusual posture with the low shoulder was because the original glove was really heavy.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

If you're interested in how any of the Nightmare movies were made, I highly recommend watching Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. It's an exhaustive documentary (about 4 hours, but easy to break up into chunks) detailing the behind the scenes stuff on everything from the original through FvJ, including the TV show. Each movie gets it's own roughly 30 minute section, and those are exactly the kind of facts they lay out (including both of those exact ones)

There is also Crystal Lake Memories for the Friday films, and that one's over five and a half hours. 

• Like 4

Those are both on Shudder FYI

Leviathan, the doc on the first two Hellraisers, is also on there and it's pretty good (and long too). And of course King Cohen which everyone should watch.

The Hammer train is also rolling on there so I might have reviews for a few things coming...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Only time I ever saw Deadly Blessing was on Monstervision once and they still cut the best scene (NSFW for gore)

Hide contents

KvmR.gif

Is there an earlier scene where they fill the basketball with concrete or something? Because I'm fairly sure the tensile strength of a human skull is a shitload higher than a fully inflated ball. Even if it's overinflated to the point where it's about to pop, there's not enough mass there to take a head out, surely.

20 hours ago, J.T. said:

NPR television critic says that the upcoming series Evil on CBS is awesome and is like the X-Files only with demons and crazy people.

I'm in.  DVR is set to record the entire season.

The premier episode is this Thursday.

I was considering skipping it, but I guess I will give the first episode or two a shot at the very least.

That's exactly why I never bothered with Monstervision, whether Joe Bob hosted it or not. I guess kids might try that at home or something.  Let's not sleep on the bizarre ending of A Deadly Friend either, which was actually tacked onto the movie for extra shock value. I can't remember if I was more freaked out or bummed out as a kid by that messed up shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Let's not sleep on the bizarre ending of A Deadly Friend either, which was actually tacked onto the movie for extra shock value. 

Yeah, it's not the way that Craven wanted the movie to end.  The studio wanted a horror movie that could be sold by Craven's name recognition (WES CRAVEN PRESENTS... DEADLY FRIEND~!!!), while Wes wanted it to be more in line with the Diana Henstell sci-fi thriller novel (simply titled, Friend) that the script was based on.. 

I remember Henstell not being happy with the final cut of the movie, but apparently she wasn't so outraged that she had her name removed from the writing credits.

Anyway, Wes was very professional and didn't really talk about the way the studio strong-armed him into making a horror film out of Deadly Friend until much later on.  You can't just talk shit about a major studio and expect to find regular work unless you're an extremely powerful director on par with Spielberg or something.

Warner Brothers EVP, Mark Canton, threatened to fire screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin unless he added six additional scenes of gore.  The film was so bloody that the first thirteen edits received X / NC-17 ratings for violence.  The 14th edit finally received an R.

The failure of some movies you can blame on actors or directors, but this one you can land squarely at the feet of the producers and Warner Brother executives.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm surprised that in Jack Valenti's '80s a studio actually wanted to push the envelope on a horror film.

I don't think they wanted to push the envelope so much as cash in on Craven's name and reputation as a premier horror aficionado.

After all, two years prior to Deadly Friend, a little film called A Nightmare on Elm Street opened to rabid critical praise and earned New Line Cinemas a lot of money. 

Warner Brothers was probably trying to recreate the magic with a movie that Wes did not intend to be made into a horror film.

I'd also like to see a director's cut / original cut to see the original vision that Wes, Rubin, and Henstell had in mind.

Hulu dropped it's "Huluween" lineup today, and it's got some fucking good stuff available: OG Childs Play, Hellraiser OG, 3, and 4, OG Evil Dead and 2, couple of the Saw's, the Lon Chaney Hunchback, Original Amityville, both Pumpkin Heads, Event Horizon.  Definitely stuff I'm going to be watching.

• Like 1

I know American Horror Story isn't a movie, but I have a question about it. I've only seen the complete seasons of  Coven, Roanoke and Cult. I started watching Apocalypse  but when I realized it crossed over with Coven (which I hadn't seen yet) I stopped and watched Coven. I go back to Apocalypse and I see the scene where Queenie is trapped at the hotel. So do I need to watch all of Hotel also in order to fully appreciate the story? And do I have to watch any of the other seasons (Murder House, Asylun, Freak Show) to fully get the story of Apocalypse?

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just turned on something called It's Alive on Comet and it is NOT the Larry Cohen film. This is the monster in it: 

oiepVqBtJimifYPvFdHxgIbmodx.jpg

Yeah. THAT's the monster. Woof...

Racist monster I guess. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1